Is ARC out of business....?

My analogy is a cruise ship where the captain simply disappeared.   The passengers are still going about their business, but the icebergs are getting closer and closer.   I've made a point of saving pictures that I deem valuable that have been posted over the years.   

Steve has been extremely busy with his job since covid hit. As I understand it, he has been working upwards up to 70-80 hours a week to stay afloat. Family and health comes first. Coming from someone who had to work those kind of hours before, it will very likely put you in the hospital as it did me. I'm sure when he is able to, he'll be back.

On 10/13/2023 at 8:57 PM, caudleryan said:

Steve has been extremely busy with his job since covid hit. As I understand it, he has been working upwards up to 70-80 hours a week to stay afloat. Family and health comes first. Coming from someone who had to work those kind of hours before, it will very likely put you in the hospital as it did me. I'm sure when he is able to, he'll be back.

I am relieved to hear that ARC is not dead. I have also gone through times when every waking moment is spent working just to stay afloat.There literally is no time for anything else, let alone running a labour-intensive site such as this. I wish Steve all the best, and I hope for a time when he is able to return to the forums.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Its not dead if you all contribute to the conversation.

There is truth in what you say, and I can only speak for myself. But as you can see from the number of posts I have made (nowhere nearly as many as yours, admittedly), I have indeed contributed to many conversations over the years, beginning in the days when it was "3 Steves."  I needed to take an extended break from the forum and from building in general, for various reasons. Sometimes other priorities take precedent in life. Sometimes things simply have a natural life span. I dunno. I just don't think it's quite as simple as "if you build it they will come." However, be it known that this is my contribution to the conversation today. Phantom, I am really glad to see you are still here and clearly doing what you enjoy! All the best, brother!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on ARC much in the past year due to a big project at work killing all my personal time. This has been a great site for a long time, not sure what turned the tide on it. I know the pandemic didn't help, SBARC had it rough during that time, my hats off to him for keeping ARC alive through all that. I'm hoping to be more active once the big project is finished at work. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An update.  Good news!!!

ARC is very much alive I am happy to say.

I was working at a local restaurant delivering food in the evenings and driving a tour bus for cruise ship passengers in the daytime before COVID hit.  Bus driving job was seasonal and the restaurant job was low paying,  COVID hit and the cruise ship industry shut down.  The tour bus driving job ended.  The restaurant job was limited hours and I made up the monthly shortfall by living off credit for 18 months during COVID.  I eventually got a low paying job stocking grocery shelves all night at Walmart and delivered for a bakery in the early morning hours on weekends.  I was also delivering car parts for minimum wage in the daytime.  At this point I had 4 jobs and was working 105 hours a week and surviving.

I finally replaced the car parts delivery job with a truck driving job delivering janitoral supplies during the daytime to local businesses in a 5 ton truck.  I was delivering to local rec centres and learned there was a shortage of pool operators/ night time janitors.  I was working 2 fulltime jobs at this point and I went back to school and got my pool operators tickets.  Got friendly with the managers for 2 local swimming pools and got hired by 2 local pools once I had my pool operators tickets.  The restaurant had gone under, I quit Walmart after 2 years.  Now I work a very relaxed 60 to 70 hours a week doing 10 hour overnight shifts at 2 local public pools.

These are local government jobs that pay well and I am doing well.  ARC brings in just enough income to pay server fees, nothing more which is fine with me.

I have a very old XP machine on it's last legs and quite unsuitable for doing ARC anymore.  This winter all my money is going towards helping my wife build a house in the Philippines for her parents.  We have budgeted $15,000 to build the house....yes 15 thousand....it's the Philippines.  I plan to get a new custom built computer in the springtime and ease back into daily updates.

Daily updates on ARC paused April 1 2021 and to me it feels like it has been 5 or 6 years, but it has only been a bit over 2 1/2 years.  I look forward to getting back into daily updates once my situation stabilizes a bit more and I get a new computer.  Right now I am still adjusting to my new career doing overnight pool work and struggling to get the money together for my wife to build a new house for her parents.  I still have  a mountain of debt from covid to pay off but at least now there is hope for the future.

Thanks to everyone for keeping ARC alive.  ❤️

I also hope to visit my niece "Angel" in the Philippines.  She is now 13 and calls me Daddy.  I provided life saving surgeries for her years ago and we are quite close.  I have not seen her since Apr 2019 due to covid and money problems.  I hope to visit her this February or March.  So I am scrambling to get money together for that trip as well.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.  I am quite exhausted from the past 2 1/2 years and look forward to settling into my old routine this spring.  I still have massive debts from Covid to pay, but that will get sorted in time.