Best 1/48 Harrier Kit?

Hey All,

Well, having just yesterday got my new Tamiya F-35B (and WOW, what a kit!!!!!), it got me thinking about other similar type airplanes.  Obviously, there aren't many.  I did some research, looking for opinions on the best Harrier, and there wasn't as much posted on this topic as I kind of thought there might be.  So, i thought I'd pick some brains here.  Do any of you have an opinion on the best 1/48 Harrier?  I'm not picky on version, I'm more interested in kit engineering and best fitting parts.  It might also be nice if any recommended models are still readily available.  I don't think I've ever built a Harrier.   I'm almost 100% sure that I had one when I was little, but can't remember if I ever built it or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AFAIK, Hasegawa makes pretty much the only Harrier II (i.e. AV-8B/+, Gr.5/7/9) kit worth considering in 1:48 (also reboxed by e.g. Revell), while Kinetic makes the original Harrier (I) kits (Gr. 1/3, FRS.1, AV-8A, etc.).

Don't think it was announced yet, but I would be surprised if Kinetic doesn't follow up these with a line of Harrier II kits soon enough.

Edited by ijozic

For the last version (AV-8B / GR.7), Hasegawa is the only one available, reboxed by Revell and Eduard; it seems to be the usual Hase detail and fit; be aware of an old Monogram AV-8B, which is a different kit than those.

For the early ones, the best option (in my opinion) is the Kinetic one; they have all the family (Harrier, Sea Harrier, and AV-8A). From what I have read, the GOLD editions have a better fit overall than the regular ones.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I seem to remember the Monogram kit is the only one with an accurate wing but over all the Hasegawa kit takes the win because while the monogram kit is accurate overall its isnt that great.

The Monogram AV-8B, correct? Their AV-8A builds into a nice model with a little work. Worth a look if you can find one cheap. 

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 5:10 PM, Curt B said:

Hey All,

Well, having just yesterday got my new Tamiya F-35B (and WOW, what a kit!!!!!)

You need resin in your life: if you think Tamiya is that good then there is a whole world of amazement awaiting you.

On 2/14/2024 at 7:32 AM, Sabrejet said:

You need resin in your life: if you think Tamiya is that good then there is a whole world of amazement awaiting you.

Are you talking about resin aftermarket upgrades or resin full kits?   I have many resin aftermarket upgrades for various kits, and  I agree that resin upgrades are amazing in terms of the level of detail they provide. However, the latest thing, 3D printed parts, are even better!  So, what were you referring to?  

Also of interest to me is the F-86 Sabre.  It's my favorite 'vintage' jet plane...I just wish some manufacturer  would come out with THE absolute  definitive 1/48 or 1/32 F-86.  I'd buy several of those in a heartbeat!

Edited by Curt B