What is the best engine correcting set for Academy A-10C?

As above, what set should I choose?
I know three ones: Aires, DEF and Mini Craft Collection. All looks very nice, but which one is the best?
I see there are three different shapes of fan blades, but which one is proper? Are there any other issues in those sets?

image.file.php?object=product-photo&id=4485

52071_rd.jpg

Picture 1 of 8

In addition to the PHR set above, there is also the Sierra Hotel Resin one :

https://sierrahotelresin.net/shop/ols/products/48408-a-10-inletengine-fan--exhaust-set-academy

Personally, I would go with either the PHR or SHR sets as the designers for both worked directly with A-10 maintainers for references and measurements. I'd bet money the others based their respective sets off photos taken from the net or books. 

I am asking about those Aires, DEF and MCC because I can buy it directly from the store. I do not trust the quality of PHR or SHR, never had it it my hands, so I would like to choos something from those first three.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

I am asking about those Aires, DEF and MCC because I can buy it directly from the store. I do not trust the quality of PHR or SHR, never had it it my hands, so I would like to choos something from those first three.

I have the DEF set and the Phase Hanger set.  I prefer the DEF set due to it's simplicity and lower price. 

This thread has a build with the Phase Hanger set.  There seems to be an issue with the fit and/or contour of the inlet cowl.  I'll still use my set on one of my builds, but it looks like it will need some rework to correct the contour issue: 

In that same thread, it's mentioned the fan blades are shaped wrong on the MCC set. 

As mentioned above, the Sierra Hotel Models A-10 resin intakes for the 1/48 Academy kit are nice. The DEF and Wolfpack sets are nice too but the Sierra Hotel ones were designed by modelers who have worked with the aircraft. The print quality is top notch.

I also have the PHR set but had issues with the print quality (broken fan blades or short shot prints). 

I’d go with either DEF or Wolfpack if that’s what you like but for accuracy and print quality, go for the SHM set if you can afford it. 

sierrahotelmodels_a-10_intake-fb2.jpeg

Edited by PlasticWeapons

I know that you have written that you prefer one of the 3  manufacturers you mention, but I am building the Academy A-10C myself right now, and I used the Phase Hangar set for the intake and exhaust, and i thought it was perfect.  Perfect printing, perfect fit.  I have not looked into the cowling issue referred to in prior posts, but it's not an issue for me.  I have a second Academy A-10C, and I've already gotten a second Phase Hangar set for it, so you can see how much I thought of the set!  I must say that the SHM set, pictured above, looks great, but no better than the Phase Hangar set, in my humble opinion.  It sounds like there are potential issues with Phase Hangar, but both my sets were perfect. 

Let's hope the (soon too be?1?!?) forthcoming GWH A-10C will be perfect out of the box, so no aftermarket stuff will be needed!

• 2 weeks later...

Understood  Just was saying it looks like this engine depth issue will be resolved in the next offering.  I know it is frustrating with the multiple releases of same scale and subject kits...Which one to buy ...esp. when you want to build a certain type.  I want to do a 1/48 A-10 too but thought to wait.  BUT if I  want to do an early Gulf War version then perhaps the wait is longer since the GWH kit will be a -C release.   OR do I try the older Monogram kit??  I seem to be discouraged about the Italeri kit at all?!?    

Well from your post  I would go with the DEF one for fit and ease of construction...since you stated you dont trust the quality of either Sierra Hotel OR Phase Hangar.  I have resin from both and they are good but if you are working off of what you know.....from this thread it seems DEF maybe the way to go.

"I am asking about those Aires, DEF and MCC because I can buy it directly from the store. I do not trust the quality of PHR or SHR, never had it it my hands, so I would like to choos something from those first three".

Steve

5 hours ago, scorvi said:

Understood  Just was saying it looks like this engine depth issue will be resolved in the next offering.  I know it is frustrating with the multiple releases of same scale and subject kits...Which one to buy ...esp. when you want to build a certain type.  I want to do a 1/48 A-10 too but thought to wait.  BUT if I  want to do an early Gulf War version then perhaps the wait is longer since the GWH kit will be a -C release.   OR do I try the older Monogram kit??  I seem to be discouraged about the Italeri kit at all?!?    

Well from your post  I would go with the DEF one for fit and ease of construction...since you stated you dont trust the quality of either Sierra Hotel OR Phase Hangar.  I have resin from both and they are good but if you are working off of what you know.....from this thread it seems DEF maybe the way to go.

"I am asking about those Aires, DEF and MCC because I can buy it directly from the store. I do not trust the quality of PHR or SHR, never had it it my hands, so I would like to choos something from those first three".

Steve

I'm going to do an in-flight late 80's A-10A....taking the 1/48 HobbyBoss kit and backdating it (removing the GPS puck/warts on the bottom of the tails)...boom, you have an early A.

Cheers

Collin

1 hour ago, Collin said:

I'm going to do an in-flight late 80's A-10A....taking the 1/48 HobbyBoss kit and backdating it (removing the GPS puck/warts on the bottom of the tails)...boom, you have an early A.

Cheers

Collin

You know I'll be following this one.

Steve

On 2/8/2024 at 3:21 PM, Solo said:

Great, but I have Academy kit and not going to have GWH one. So my question is still valid.

Sierra looks as the best MCC looks good enough if you'll keep engine covers shut. Look at the exhaust pipe rim: it should be pipe in pipe ie double walls with a small gap between. Sierra and MCC did their homework.

Itd be interesting to have all three compared next to each other. If not, I'd go with MCC. I've seen pretty much everything they produce and it all looks brilliant. I don't know much about DEF so can't tell. They might be great, or not so.. as for Aires, unless I hear a continuous praise from many sources, I would avoid their products. I'd like to think about aftermarket as a way to improve, save money or time, and Aires is often just a headache that ends up in a bin- either pain to install, or just shrunk and is a few mils smaller...