1/48 Monogram HE-111

Wowee!

Nice work.

I've got one of those, painted and decaled. But it's on indefinite hold... I screwed a couple of things up and I think I might have to strip it and repaint it. Not looking forward to it, so I don't know when I'll be getting back to it.

Man, that's really well done. Maybe mine will look as nice someday.

Charles

Very nicely done sir! What method did you use to attain the streaky weathered finish on the topsides? It looks very convincing in my opinion.

I am working on Hasegawa's 1/72 11H-6 right now so a special thanks for posting yours!

:thumbsup:

Joe Youngerman

Thanks to all for the very kind words on the HE111.

To answer the questions, yes it is OOB with SSI decals. Nothing else!

For the weathering question, perhaps this will help.

There are literally hundreds of ways to accomplish the “weatheringâ€, but here is a favorite of mine using pastels.

The “streaking†effect can be done using ground up pastels, and here are a few tips to replicate that. I use common stick pastels (found at any art store) and grind them up in a coffee grinder. I find this works best since you get a varying diameter of particle size, unlike using sandpaper or scraping off with a knife blade where the particles size is fairly uniform. I then “sprinkle†the pastel dust carefully over the model, trying to get a random and diverse pattern. Now for the secret weapon! The secret to this technique is the brush you use to “blend†the pastel dust to the surface. A rake brush (aka comb brush) is the key as its filaments are spread out (just like a rake’s tines!). These are tough to find (again, most art supply stores have them) but are worth the search and cost because you can do all sorts of cool effects with them (in addition to pastels). In a pinch, a fan brush can also be used, as these are very easy to find. Get the stiffest filaments you can find, the stiffer the better. Next, you “brush†the pastel dust into the surface of the model, going in the direction of airflow. Repeat the sprinkling and blending process until you get the effect you want. I generally use several different shades of pastels (but then again I have over 50 bottles of pastel dust in varying colors!), but you can start with different shades of gray. The shade you select is important; it has to be slightly darker than the base paint, but not so dark that it stands out like a sore thumb. For multi-color aircraft, you will have to use different shades on only that portion of color. Always start with a lighter color of pastels than you think you need and then work towards darker shades until you hit the right shade. After I’m done “streakingâ€, I always seal my pastels with a clear coat, since the pastel dust attracts fingerprints like crazy!

HTH

------Bob

There are literally hundreds of ways to accomplish the “weathering”, but here is a favorite of mine using pastels.

The “streaking” effect can be done using ground up pastels, and here are a few tips to replicate that. I use common stick pastels (found at any art store) and grind them up in a coffee grinder. I find this works best since you get a varying diameter of particle size, unlike using sandpaper or scraping off with a knife blade where the particles size is fairly uniform. I then “sprinkle” the pastel dust carefully over the model, trying to get a random and diverse pattern. Now for the secret weapon! The secret to this technique is the brush you use to “blend” the pastel dust to the surface. A rake brush (aka comb brush) is the key as its filaments are spread out (just like a rake’s tines!). These are tough to find (again, most art supply stores have them) but are worth the search and cost because you can do all sorts of cool effects with them (in addition to pastels). In a pinch, a fan brush can also be used, as these are very easy to find. Get the stiffest filaments you can find, the stiffer the better. Next, you “brush” the pastel dust into the surface of the model, going in the direction of airflow. Repeat the sprinkling and blending process until you get the effect you want. I generally use several different shades of pastels (but then again I have over 50 bottles of pastel dust in varying colors!), but you can start with different shades of gray. The shade you select is important; it has to be slightly darker than the base paint, but not so dark that it stands out like a sore thumb. For multi-color aircraft, you will have to use different shades on only that portion of color. Always start with a lighter color of pastels than you think you need and then work towards darker shades until you hit the right shade. After I’m done “streaking”, I always seal my pastels with a clear coat, since the pastel dust attracts fingerprints like crazy!

HTH

------Bob

Bob, thanks for sharing that great idea. The results are :D .

Simply excellent work!

:blink: :cheers: ;)

Oliver

• 1 month later...