Favorite liquid cement

As some of you may have seen my favorite liquid cement went bad recently.

I have used Tenex but it is no longer available in Canada.

What I had be using is Microscale's Micro Weld. It gives a good strong bond. When I went to the local Hobby shop he was all out. So I purchased Testors.

I seem to recall that Testors liquid cement doesn't bond as strong as others. Is my memory correct?

I'm looking for a new glue and I am looking for advice on the brands available.

I have used Tenex but it is no longer available in Canada.

Que? Where in Canada are you? I just bought 2 bottles from Military Hobbies, Tenax-7R. I remember seeing it at another LHS in the area as well . When i can`t find Tenax, i use MBS (Model Builders Supply) solvent cement instead. The label says Aurora Ontario. It is very thin and i find works just as well as Tenax. :cheers:

:crying: Don

Damn, I thought I could still get "seeps into the pores and will kill you slowly" Tenax. Burnaby Hobbies had some the last time I checked. Drats. Is it now on the restricted item list. Oops, better stock up while I still can. ~evil grin~

And who opened up this "sticky topic"...is this another one of those that will have a rather "explosive" debate? :cheers::crying:

1.Ambroid

2.Tenax

3.Testors

In that order.

I just came back from the Hobbyshop with a bottle of Ambroid Safe Weld. So it is good stuff?

For the other question earlier in the thread, I am in Western Canada.

I've used Tenax, but I didn't really like it. I use either Ambroid or one of the Plas-Struct line, whatever the FLHS has when I need it. I do make it a point to cut the brush on an angle so I have a decent point for application.

1.Ambroid

2.Tenax

3.Testors

In that order.

I just came back from the Hobbyshop with a bottle of Ambroid Safe Weld. So it is good stuff?

Very good stuff. Very volatile, but not as Tenax.

Discard the included brush and use a medium sized paint brush instead, you'll have more control. My .02 cents

I switched from Tenex to IPS Weld-On #3. I can buy a 1 pint can for less than $10.00 (US). Turns out I like it better than Tenex. IPS also has Weld-On #4 which is "Moderately Fast Curring" but I prefer the #3 as it dries faster.

I still use Tenax, but for tight fitting parts and some subassemblies, I have taken to using good old lacquer thinner. Seriously, it works. And it doesn't mar the surrounding plastic. Try it sometimes, but don't depend on lacquer thinner to have as strong a bond as liquid styrene cements, so use these on major areas where you wish a super strong bond. I even use Krystal Kleer and Elmer's at times on partys other than clear parts. Krystal Kleer is also a great filler for small gaps.

Caz

Humbrol for me too. Used it for years without any problems (apart from the smell). Tried one or two others but always go back to the "old faithful".

Also use the Precision stuff (that comes in the bottles with the long needle applicator) for the finer jobs, its a bit thicker and very manageable.

Regards

Willie

Scooby, I'm about 90% sure one of my LHS's carries your favorite (Microweld, correct?), and I am 100% sure I can get Tenax.

I'd be happy to pick some up and send it your way.

For me : 1. Revell Contacta Professional, alway's used this one, no other for me,

exept for the Tamiya cement.

2. Tamiya Super Thin, this one i used recently for the first time and i'll

find it very good, nice stuff.

Greetz

Davamoplanes :wacko:

I agree with 'moplanes.....Tamiya Extra Thin. Prior to 18 months ago I had used all the names mentioned except Humbrol....they all worked about the same and were OK. I find the Tamiya Extra Thin to be far superior to anthing I've used.....it bonds very well, draws well into the seam being glued, is quite "forgiving" when I slop a bit where I should not....once the "slop" dries I sand lightly and the area cleans up nicely. Its great stuff and I won't go back to any of others. Very highly recommended.

Bails-In-Minnesota

They have a product called MEK in my local model shop. I am sure this stands for 'Methel Ethel Ketone', i hav'nt used it, and hav'nt seen it mentioned in this thread...does anyone use this? the guy in the shop said it was pretty good, i have always been happy with any random brand of liquid glue, i do think it would'nt hurt to take some advice and try the 'better brands' mentioned.

I use Revell Contacta Professional, the one with the needle, for major assembly.

For smaller or finer assembly I use EMA Plastic Weld, this stuff evaporates fast so you gotta work quick, but its a really strong bond when dry.

Mike

They have a product called MEK in my local model shop.

You can get it in your model shop???

Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a very strong and highly volatile solvent, which can ruin your kit and health in seconds, if you are not careful. I haven't tried that as a plastic glue substitute, but I think it works OK. It works great for cleaning paint brushes. Same with Toluene, but those two solvents are highly toxic. I am using that stuff at work. Haven't seen it in hobby shops or DIY stores in Germany. I guess it is labeled as "for professional use only".

I am using the Revell glue with the needle, and I have tried Testors cement and Tenax in the US, but I prefer the Revell glue. I do not see any advantages in the Tenax 7R over the Revell glue. For small parts I use super glue (cyanoacrylate).

Stihl036

If you can find a commercial plastics outlet (Cadillac Plastics etc), see if they can get you a product called Pleximent (or Pleximent Chloride). I've used it for 15 years or so and it's basically the same thing as as IPS Weld-On 3. Quart lasts me for about 2 1/2 or 3 years.The last quart I bought cost 5.95 but it has gone up some what - I was checking on prices the other day and found I could buy it in gallons only now and it was 25 bucks a gallon. But that's still better than paying 10.00 a pint for the same thing.