F-22 external ordnance

Got a question for Murph and company:

What do the external stores pylons on the Raptor look like, and how would the rails be mounted onto them if it's carrying externally slung AMRAAMs? I'm pretty certain the kit pylons supplied by Italeri aren't any good, if only because they mostly never are, but can they be modded into the real thing? And is it feasible to construct missile a twin rail assembly from Hasegawa's F-15 rails?

Since I've never seen a photo of the real thing with external weapons mounted, I've been thinking about just going with the Italeri pylon, with a pair of rearend-joined F-15 rails added to the bottom, because no one who'll be able to say I'm wrong will ever see it, but I'd like to check first if there are any pics at all available first...

A further question is what kind of tanks the Raptor uses - are they the same ones as the F-15, or are they different somehow?

SP

Got a question for Murph and company:

What do the external stores pylons on the Raptor look like, and how would the rails be mounted onto them if it's carrying externally slung AMRAAMs? I'm pretty certain the kit pylons supplied by Italeri aren't any good, if only because they mostly never are, but can they be modded into the real thing? And is it feasible to construct missile a twin rail assembly from Hasegawa's F-15 rails?

Since I've never seen a photo of the real thing with external weapons mounted, I've been thinking about just going with the Italeri pylon, with a pair of rearend-joined F-15 rails added to the bottom, because no one who'll be able to say I'm wrong will ever see it, but I'd like to check first if there are any pics at all available first...

A further question is what kind of tanks the Raptor uses - are they the same ones as the F-15, or are they different somehow?

SP

Only thing I've seen mounted on Raptor is a pair of fuel tanks, which were for ground testing only.

External options do exist but beyond ferrying I'm not sure the likelyhood of such a load would be for obvious reasons.

f-22-weaps-mg27.gif

Edited by Mandrake

Here's a diagram...

f22_schem_04.jpg

and here's a pic of the fuel tanks

f-22-raptor-20.jpg

and here's a small pic of it carrying it in the air with AMRAAMs... (looking for a bigger pic now)

oct02_events_04.jpg

Edited by raptor22

Would those be Eagle tanks, or the ones that go on the Mitsubishi F-2? I've got lots of F-15 tanks laying around, since there's between one and three left over every time I build an F-15, but the only F-2 tanks I have are for my F-2...

It also looks *very* much like they used the same pylons as on the F-16 inboard station - is this correct? If so, then I have what I need...

SP

Don't the external stores defeat the "stealth" purpose of the design of the plane? I thought that was the main reason for having the weapons stored internally.

Yes, but that doesn't matter for ferry flights - only concern is drag in that case .

:)

Stef

Don't the external stores defeat the "stealth" purpose of the design of the plane? I thought that was the main reason for having the weapons stored internally.

Once air-dominance has been achieved (IADS threat supressed, etc.) an F-22 can then carry external tanks as well as extra AAMs for longer CAPs.

Is the F-22 capable of carrying 'special stores?" (B61s, I presume).

On the F-16 cockpit at Wright-Pat, I saw the special stores switch-thing off to one side, and just stared for a moment. It's not hitched up to anything (the cockpit section is sawed out of an airplane!), but it's like the emergency escape handles on airliners, or Greyhoud bus windows. There's an unholy, sinister temptation to operate it. B)

Here is a page from Alan Radecki's Mojave Airport Weblog showing a Raptor from Edwards doing T&G's with two tanks. I didn't like the look with underwing stores at first, but it seems to be an acquired taste, much like the appearance of the Raptor itself.

B)

SebastianP asked this a little while ago - are those the same tanks as used on the F-2 (?what are they...610 gal?). I think they look more like the F-2's tanks than the F-15's, but I've been wrong before.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder when it will replace the F-15C and E.

They seem to be going all out to get it, like they did with the F-15E.

And the F-15E was an inferior replacment to the F-111F in the bombing roll anyway.

[can carry the same twice as far, or twice as much to the same target before you ask]

I think Ill be getting an Italeri kit and loading it up as an F-15E complete with LN tail codes.

• 7 years later...