OK, ok . . . I'm letting my lack of Hog-awareness show here but I'm wondering if there's any leading external indication that a particular Hog is a C model versus an A model. I know the cockpit's different, but are there any new antennas or removed items that would provide me with a hint??

Thanks in advance for anyone's help on this.

ATB -

- Rip -

PS - I think I shot one but I'm not sure - therefore the question.

I will let you know in a few weeks. I will be TDY to Nellis for a month to crew the jets in the "C" model test program. One way you can telll, is if its carrying a Litening or a Sniper pod it will be mounted on station 10 rather than Station 9. This allows us our othe Maverick capable station back. I understand there is another antenna biut I am not sure on that (But I will be shortly!! <_< )

Hey Boom - I knew you'd reply! How are things in Raven City?

Do you know of anyone on the inside that might be tracking the mods by tail number?

I shot a pristine Hog at DM the other day, just out of depot - Really fresh paint - no wing or squadron markings, and it took off solo. I thought I may have spotted my first C model at DM. However, it was clean. No load outs on any station. It was probably one of the A models just back from depot after Phase.

Thanks to all for the replys - you confirmed what I thought was the Hog C situation.

ATB -

- Rip -

OK Jake - Here it is:

I'm pretty sure it's an A just out of phase.

She was carrying two mav's and practice bombs (my mistake earlier with the no-load comment) and I would have to believe that if it was a C headed for the East Tac Range - It would have had a litening pod installed too.

ATB -

- Rip -

Edited by RipVW
Hey Boom - I knew you'd reply! How are things in Raven City?

Do you know of anyone on the inside that might be tracking the mods by tail number?

I shot a pristine Hog at DM the other day, just out of depot - Really fresh paint - no wing or squadron markings, and it took off solo. I thought I may have spotted my first C model at DM. However, it was clean. No load outs on any station. It was probably one of the A models just back from depot after Phase.

Thanks to all for the replys - you confirmed what I thought was the Hog C situation.

ATB -

- Rip -

Things are cool, rather cold actually this past week a lot of wind 30 kts sustained :banana:

I will let you know when I get to nellis.

Probably ajet from depot with a fresh paint job???

Craig

According to the May 2005 issue of Combat Aircraft, not much external differences between the A and C mods, just a couple of antenna. Real difference is in the cockpit and weapon systems. C hog has 2 5x5 MFDs in the pit and will have full Litening II and Sniper XR integration. That means JDAM and WCMD capability. At the time the article was written, the only C hog was 81-0989 and it was down at Eglin for evals. They said that 13 A airframes were planned for upgrade to the C. C is planned for deployment to operational squadrons in 2008.

Regards,

Brian

Edited by dbsmith88
  • 2 months later...

Gents:

AF Times had an article on the A-10C program yesterday. According to them the 23FG and Maryland ANG will be the first units receiving the A-10C next year.

Mark

I will let you know in a few weeks. I will be TDY to Nellis for a month to crew the jets in the "C" model test program. One way you can telll, is if its carrying a Litening or a Sniper pod it will be mounted on station 10 rather than Station 9. This allows us our othe Maverick capable station back. I understand there is another antenna biut I am not sure on that (But I will be shortly!! :D )

Hey Boom-

A little off topic, but what's the deal with the F-105 and TA-4J on the line at 175th Wing-you guys going retro or what or I get it-providing the HAWGS with targets to hit priot to landing :woo: I know they have to be musuem pieces from across the airfield, but what gives, surely if you guys are having an open house you can call on some fellow guard units to bring down an F-16 or two :huh:

From what I've read one good way to tell a "C" is that there is a round flat dome behind the canopy. This is the GPS thingy that was added for the "C" upgrades.

the GPS is fitted to regular A/OA-10's too.

Who's getting these A-10C's??? Active Duty or Guard? :D

This doesn't show in any of the pictures but I thought I read somewhere that the A-10C engine nacelles would have a bit smaller diameter in the middle. Sort of a wasp-waisted appearance.

Danged if I can remember where I saw that. Maybe I'm having a brain-cramp!

Rick in Maine

This doesn't show in any of the pictures but I thought I read somewhere that the A-10C engine nacelles would have a bit smaller diameter in the middle. Sort of a wasp-waisted appearance.

Ummm, why? To improve trans-sonic performance??? :thumbsup:

Sorry, could not resist. I don't think there will be any changes in the nacelles (unless the AF wants to remove the self-FODing feature).

But in the "not sure where I read that" category; I recall reading that the "reverse scoops" on the lower left forward fuselage were removed on the A-10C prototype - they were causing airflow distortion around the AOA probe. I guess that it was OK for LASTE, but not the new mods. (The "reverse scoops" were added in the mid-80's along with the Battelle device (gun gas diverter) on the GAU-8 muzzle. )

That probably won't help much either as those reverse scoops have been removed on a lot of A-10As now too. For instance:

34800.jpg

And as was mentioned above, I'm thinking almost all the A-10s now have the GPS dome:

34799.jpg

Edited by David Walker

All of the active A-10's now have the GPS dome, and have had it since the 2001-2002 timeframe -- it is not a mod for the C-model. Similarly, the reverse scoops have been removed on most A-10's for the past 2-3 years. They were removed in conjunction with a fire control computer upgrade, not the C-model upgrade.

What is the "self-FODing" feature of the A-10's engines?

-Tom