First Lady Pilot of the T-birds

Jeez Louise! These responses are getting WAAAAYYY too long winded. I don't care who the hell is in the cockpits...I just hope the show is better than it was in 2005.

Ah, the Curtis Lemay school of thinking. Lemay might have been a sadistic maniac, but one couldn't call him unfair. When faced with having a shortage of navigators in SAC, or accepting black navigators from the school at Lockbourne, he chose the black navigators. Lemay was too big a person to let his personal prejudices get in the way of the most efficient delivery of thermonuclear fire onto the heartland of the USSR.

Edited by Fishwelding

Heyyy, why you got to call him 'sadistic' ?! :D

On another note, got to meet several women aviators from Russia this past weekend in Seattle, WA. One was Russian AF pilot ... Mig 29 pilot. She did some years as a line combat pilot and then got into the Swifts demo team. Several years there and is now an instructor pilot for the Swifts.

Also in the group was the world womens aerobatics champion (really nice woman), an ex-cosmonaut and current Tu-134 pilot, and a former Mig 15 and 17 instructor pilot that also set 4 or 5 speed records with the Mig 21 back in the mid 1960's.

This group is also going to be at the WIA (Women in Aviation) conference in Nasheville, TN this week, if you're in that area.

Edited by Gary F
I cant believe you guys are still at it. No matter what you think or how you feel about it, she's on the team and going to stay for her full tour.

Jeff <-- who's just looking forward to a good show.

Well said Jeff ... :D

Gregg

I cant believe you guys are still at it. No matter what you think or how you feel about it, she's on the team and going to stay for her full tour.

Actually, we've drifted off of it for the past ten-or-so posts.

Strangely, the thread continues on it's own... :D

Heyyy, why you got to call him 'sadistic' ?!

I rather think he'd take it as a complement. He never advocated a gentle touch in dealing with (potential) enemies.

Jeez Louise! These responses are getting WAAAAYYY too long winded. I don't care who the hell is in the cockpits............

......I just hope the show is better than it was in 2005. Seeing a four-ship Diamond again would be nice.

Chappie

Thank you Chappie. I too could care less who flying. She's on the team and I want to see no less than six Thunderbirds in the air and hopefully a better show.

Edited by Raptor Supporter
Thank you Chappie. I too could care less who flying. She's on the team and I want to see no less than six Thunderbirds in the air and hopefully a better show.

Raptor, I'm sure some of my comments were taken by some as an attempt to stir things up, when they were not. When I read some of the first few comments on this thread (including yours) that's what prompted my responses. Again, you mention "...hopefully a better show." I'm truly curious on a personal level on what you mean by that. A lot gets "lost in translation" on the 'net. Do you think the Thunderbirds have had a weak show in the past in general? Or do you think that now that there's a female on the team it will be better??? Or am I simply missing something?

Just curious,

Hitch

Raptor, I'm sure some of my comments were taken by some as an attempt to stir things up, when they were not. When I read some of the first few comments on this thread (including yours) that's what prompted my responses. Again, you mention "...hopefully a better show." I'm truly curious on a personal level on what you mean by that. A lot gets "lost in translation" on the 'net. Do you think the Thunderbirds have had a weak show in the past in general? Or do you think that now that there's a female on the team it will be better??? Or am I simply missing something?

Just curious,

Hitch

Look back at every thread dealing with Thunderbirds performances that took place in 2005 - lots of the shows were five ship routines because of a pilot who was out sick, and they just simply had a weak season. It's not a female pilot who's going to "fix" the shows, it's having a full complement of healthy pilots flying the shows.

You seem to be searching for reasons to fight here.

Do you think the Thunderbirds have had a weak show in the past in general? Or do you think that now that there's a female on the team it will be better??? Or am I simply missing something?

I think Raptor Supporter, and for that matter Mr. Stoermer, Chappie, and others were merely commenting that the discussion was moot, indeed, so much hot air, considering CAPT. Malachowski will fly, and that we should all just enjoy the show, rather than filling more internet with heated, and yet laughably academic debate. Albeit having probably been the worst offender in the 'hot air' category, I belatedly reached the same conclusion as these gentlemen several posts ago, myself. I do not, however, think RS was making a comment to the effect that the T-birds really needed CAPT Malachowski in particular to "set them straight."

If I've misunderstood any of you gentlemen, I apologize.

Edited by Fishwelding

To Bam in particular, and others in general, I'm certainly not looking for a fight on this issue - but curious about the statements made by some. Asking for clarification shouldn't be considered looking for a fight, but debate (civil) can always be interesting IMO. Again, a LOT can get lost in typing a thought <_<

Hitch

OK, if I was "looking to fight" I'd post my true feelings - and since I'm kinda bored at the moment (and hopefully won't P.O. the moderators whom I admire - ARC is my favorite website) - I'll post my own "Top Ten" (in no particular order):

1. Women don't belong in combat squadrons / positions (support is fine). PC police can bite me :banana:

2. The F-15 is a better "Fighter" than the F-14 and has the record to back it up. The F-14 was the best "Fleet Defense" aircraft due to the Phoenix missile.

3. Fighter planes should be single seat - always. Anything else is something other than a "Fighter"

4. The F/A-18C is good looking - the F/A-18E is b*tt ugly.

5. The F-22 isn't nearly as good looking as the F-15.

6. The Blue Angels are usually better than the Thunderbirds (although I did see a performance at Patrick AFB a couple of years ago where both performed, and the T-Birds put on their best show ever and waxed the Blues...)

7. Tamiya is better than Hasegawa.

8. ARC is better than any other modeling forum :blink:

9. I will never, ever understand guys fascination with "Station Wagon or Family Model" aircraft... Guys who fly those jets prefer the single seaters - every time, hands down, no question - ask anyone who's done it.

10. The F-35 will never be able to fill the shoes of the A-10.

These opinions (while right) are merely my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinons of those who may be wrong :D

What was this thread about again? Not that it matters, it's much more entertaining now than it would have been. We just need a Monty Python reference and it will be set:

CROWD:

A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch! A witch! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! We've found a witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch!

VILLAGER #1:

We have found a witch. May we burn her?

CROWD:

Burn her! Burn! Burn her! Burn her!

BEDEVERE:

How do you know she is a witch?

VILLAGER #2:

She looks like one.

CROWD:

Right! Yeah! Yeah!

BEDEVERE:

Bring her forward.

WITCH:

I'm not a witch. I'm not a witch.

BEDEVERE:

Uh, but you are dressed as one.

Ah, you left out a key piece of dialoge...

BEDIVERE: What makes you think she...is a witch?

VILLAGER: Well! She turned me into a NEWT!!!

BEDIVERE: [raises his visor] A newt?

[general murmuring, villagers shuffle nervously]

VILLAGER: I got better...

CROWD: A witch! A witch! Burn her!!!

yeah.......K-Mart sucks....definitely....yeah.

(Ray)

Drive slow in the driveway...ya...slow in the driveway...very slow...

Yet another thread scattered from hell to breakfast... way to go guys. I know who I'll pick when I need a crew to bomb something... "staying on target" is a cinch for you guys.... <_<

she's a member of the team, she's going to perform, and last I checked, the Thunderbirds don't ask people for their opinions.

Edited by Skull Leader