• 2 months later...

Hi

These pics would definitely fit the Past part. These were taken by my dad in the 70s when he was flying with 361, notice the flying tiger on the nose.

I really need to pick up one of those Revell CH-53s to go with my Academy Es.

mason

53-ON-DECK.jpg

53-TAKING-OFF.jpg

53-ON-GROUND.jpg

Hi

Saw this on the nose of a couple of the 53s at the Miramar Air Show this year, anyone know what it is?

mason

Close up

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

I'm not a -53 guy but my guess is a mounting bracket for the rotor track and balance optics. Anyone else?

Hi

These pics would definitely fit the Past part. These were taken by my dad in the 70s when he was flying with 361, notice the flying tiger on the nose.

I really need to pick up one of those Revell CH-53s to go with my Academy Es.

mason

53-ON-DECK.jpg

53-TAKING-OFF.jpg

53-ON-GROUND.jpg

I was with 361 also, but not until 86-90 - very nice pics - would love to see more, especially any details like buno/modex

When were the Cubi birds taken?

Semper Fi

I was with 361 also, but not until 86-90 - very nice pics - would love to see more, especially any details like buno/modex

When were the Cubi birds taken?

Semper Fi

I have dad's logbooks and gone over them, so I have BuNos, but no Modex tie ups. I know he had the most flights in 152409 followed by 153290, if you want the complete list, let me know. The only tie up I do have is YN13 153313.

A long time ago I was making the Revell CH-53 that came with 361 markings and I asked dad which number to put on it, and he told me the story of YN13.

On July 21, 1976 dad was doing CarQuals in YN13 and ended up getting 50 landings over 8.3 hours. Well he landed and the squadron got ready to go overseas, dad was transitioning to AH-1s, so he wasn't going. On July 27th, 361 and YN13 headed south for San Diego, and less than a half hour into YN13s next flight, the tail rotor separated form the A/C and it went down at the northern edge of Pendelton. A couple of the crew survived, a couple didn't.

I didn't know the ID of YN13 until I went through his logbook and tied it to 153313, more research show it's loss shortly afterwards and that locked the identification.

So to say the least I am thinking about getting that kit, and doing YN13 right. If anyone out there has pics of 361 in mid 77, let me know.

mason

Thanks alot Mason - that is great info.

I would like all available data you have... it ties in to some research that I have been doing outside of just building the 53 kits.

I already have a few FOI requests in and have been soliciting as much info as I can get regarding the West Coast 53 units.

Regards,

Harold

Semper Fi

;) thanks to all of you about the pics,I'm a -53 fan and,if possible,I'll be happy to see others in S.E.A. teathre.I have an HH-53C in progress...Ciao :nanner:

Here is an HH-53B (66-14428) from about 1980:

HH-53B66-144281550thATTWHollomanAFB.jpg

And the same aircraft in 2005, long after being converted to an MH-53J:

MH-53J66-14428551stSOSHollomanApr05.jpg

The CH-53 is one of my favorite helos, so I thought I'd share some photos I've taken past and present.

Eddie

Picture577.jpg

CH1.jpg

Hey that was one of my birds from HC-1! (As is 742 in your other post)

I wish I had taken pictures back then... :nanner:

Got any more HC-1 birds? Any of the HC-1 Sea Kings?

Thanks for posting!

Chris ;)

My guess is it is the plugs for the FLIR system. Looks like it is on the right side of the helicopter, which is the side the FLIR is on.

Bob

FLIR mounts on the left side (opposite of the refueling probe)

There was an AFC recently to hardwire the aircraft for track and balance equipment I think this bracket is for the optical tach.