Okay, I'll start this one off with the BUFF on display at the former K.I. Sawyer AFB, MI. I never realized how 'busy' the tail of a 'D' was until I looked at this pic. Taken in September 2006 during the 'Sawyer Six' dedication. (Sorry about the grainy pics but all I had that day was some 800 speed film.)

014_12-1.jpg

012_10.jpg

011_9.jpg

Great pics everyone! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I don't know why, but something makes the pic below the coolest of the thread. Must be the lighting which gives it that cool atmosphere. The overcast and the low, somewhat weak sun glinting off the nose and engine nacelles. The stance of the aircraft. I can't quite put my finger on it - just "wow".

Ellsworth AFB 1971

scan0094-1.jpg

Anyone know why some models have a blended wing-body join and others don't?

I believe this was done to make it easy to distinguish cruise missile carriers from regular bombers on satelite imagery. This was done in accordance with the SALT arms reduction treaty.

As per "research":

Any closeups of the D/F model's external fuel tanks would be of great use and highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have started a Buff page that contains some details and I intend to add to it when I have the opportunity. Unfortunately work tends to interfer with those plans.

Buffs

In the meantime...

B-52DexternaltankPimaOct071.jpg

B-52DexternaltankPimaOct072.jpg

B-52DexternaltankPimaOct073.jpg

B-52DexternaltankPimaOct074.jpg

If you need larger versions of those shots, just email me.

Edited by jinxx1

This is the B52 pic of which I am most proud. It's a 'G' taken from the end of the runway at RAF Mildenhall on the departures day following the 1993 Air Fete. The port outrigger wheel didn't retract and IIRC it dropped into Fairford to get it sorted out.

b52g.jpg