How to accelerate kit construction.

Hello everyone,

I believe that I am not alone in having acquired a collection of model aircraft, that under normal circumstances, would probably never get built. Therefore I am trying to accelerate kit construction by getting organized. To this end I have developed a procedure that has accelerated my construction of model aircraft. I thought someone reading this post might also benefit from this procedure.

The first step in this process is to scan all my model aircraft instruction manuals. Once they have been scanned, I can then create a simple three column table into which I can enter all the aircraft parts for painting.

Into the first column, from the second row down, I list the paints to be used on a particular aircraft. The paints I enter are most often the closest colour I have on hand to the colour listed in the instructions. If I don't have anything close enough, I can then add that paint to my shopping list.

In the first row of the second and third columns, I enter the names of the model aircraft. I decide which planes should be paired on a table by matching two models with the same dominant interior colour. I try to keep each table to a single page.

As I have purchased models by a theme, namely World War II Japanese combat and prototype aircraft, several models will have the same dominant interior colour. If you haven't already guessed, I spray paint the dominant interior colour and brush paint other interior colours before separating parts from the sprue.

As my computer's operating system is Windows 7 and I have a wide screen monitor, the next step is very easy, but can be done with any operating system and preferably a wide screen monitor. Using Windows snap feature, I place side by side on the monitor my table and the scanned instruction manual for the model in the second column. I find this to be much more convenient than having the printed instruction in front of me and switching my gaze between it and the screen.

I then read through the instructions, obtaining part numbers and the colour or colours they are to be painted and enter them into the appropriate row and column. I use a simple concept that when a part is a single colour, that part number is entered in bold text, if a part is to be painted multiple colours, I enter it in italic text in as many cells as necessary.

If you have a photo etch detail set or sets for this kit, you can enter the painting instruction for them as well, I just add them to the end of the list of plastic parts to paint. Alternatively, I have entered the photo etch parts into the list of plastic parts by placing their numbers in square brackets, this makes them stand apart from the plastic parts and yet be associated with a part to which they attach.

When I have finished entering all the parts for a model, I then move the completed model's parts list to column three and move the kit name from column three to column two and enter it's parts for painting. I find this necessary so that I continue to see the colours in column one whilst entering the part numbers for the second kit.

Once the table is finished and I am happy I have associated every part with a colour, I print the table. Of course there is nothing stopping you doing two tables, that is four models with the same dominant interior colour, and printing both tables.

I do this so that I can spray paint four kits their interior dominant colour in one session. I find this a very convenient way to get the most out of a spray painting session. I also find it useful to pre-mark parts, I do this by putting a small piece of masking tape on the sprue next to the part to be sprayed. This accelerates the spray painting because I am not hunting around to find which part needs to be sprayed next.

Once the spray painting is finished, it is onto the brush painting. As I have listed the parts to be painted, it is easy to open a particular colour, and proceed to paint that colour onto the parts of as many as four kits in one session. As I paint each part, I cross it out with a pencil on the printed table. This process obviously reduces the number of times a container of paint needs to be opened. I have also found this method to be a highly efficient way to prepare multiple kits for assembly.

Once you have painted all the interior parts for the models, you proceed to assemble each model in turn. I am extremely confident that anyone who tries this method, will find it a highly efficient method for accelerating kit construction.

Here is a link to an example table for two models.

I hope readers can appreciate the effort it took to develop this procedure. I may have left out some details that I did not think needed to be stated.

Regards

Python_61

Hello everyone,

I believe that I am not alone in having acquired a collection of model aircraft, that under normal circumstances, would probably never get built. Therefore I am trying to accelerate kit construction by getting organized. To this end I have developed a procedure that has accelerated my construction of model aircraft. I thought someone reading this post might also benefit from this procedure.

The first step in this process is to scan all my model aircraft instruction manuals. Once they have been scanned, I can then create a simple three column table into which I can enter all the aircraft parts for painting.

Into the first column, from the second row down, I list the paints to be used on a particular aircraft. The paints I enter are most often the closest colour I have on hand to the colour listed in the instructions. If I don't have anything close enough, I can then add that paint to my shopping list.

In the first row of the second and third columns, I enter the names of the model aircraft. I decide which planes should be paired on a table by matching two models with the same dominant interior colour. I try to keep each table to a single page.

As I have purchased models by a theme, namely World War II Japanese combat and prototype aircraft, several models will have the same dominant interior colour. If you haven't already guessed, I spray paint the dominant interior colour and brush paint other interior colours before separating parts from the sprue.

As my computer's operating system is Windows 7 and I have a wide screen monitor, the next step is very easy, but can be done with any operating system and preferably a wide screen monitor. Using Windows snap feature, I place side by side on the monitor my table and the scanned instruction manual for the model in the second column. I find this to be much more convenient than having the printed instruction in front of me and switching my gaze between it and the screen.

I then read through the instructions, obtaining part numbers and the colour or colours they are to be painted and enter them into the appropriate row and column. I use a simple concept that when a part is a single colour, that part number is entered in bold text, if a part is to be painted multiple colours, I enter it in italic text in as many cells as necessary.

If you have a photo etch detail set or sets for this kit, you can enter the painting instruction for them as well, I just add them to the end of the list of plastic parts to paint. Alternatively, I have entered the photo etch parts into the list of plastic parts by placing their numbers in square brackets, this makes them stand apart from the plastic parts and yet be associated with a part to which they attach.

When I have finished entering all the parts for a model, I then move the completed model's parts list to column three and move the kit name from column three to column two and enter it's parts for painting. I find this necessary so that I continue to see the colours in column one whilst entering the part numbers for the second kit.

Once the table is finished and I am happy I have associated every part with a colour, I print the table. Of course there is nothing stopping you doing two tables, that is four models with the same dominant interior colour, and printing both tables.

I do this so that I can spray paint four kits their interior dominant colour in one session. I find this a very convenient way to get the most out of a spray painting session. I also find it useful to pre-mark parts, I do this by putting a small piece of masking tape on the sprue next to the part to be sprayed. This accelerates the spray painting because I am not hunting around to find which part needs to be sprayed next.

Once the spray painting is finished, it is onto the brush painting. As I have listed the parts to be painted, it is easy to open a particular colour, and proceed to paint that colour onto the parts of as many as four kits in one session. As I paint each part, I cross it out with a pencil on the printed table. This process obviously reduces the number of times a container of paint needs to be opened. I have also found this method to be a highly efficient way to prepare multiple kits for assembly.

Once you have painted all the interior parts for the models, you proceed to assemble each model in turn. I am extremely confident that anyone who tries this method, will find it a highly efficient method for accelerating kit construction.

Here is a link to an example table for two models.

I hope readers can appreciate the effort it took to develop this procedure. I may have left out some details that I did not think needed to be stated.

Regards

Python_61

I do the same thing with one exception. I leave the computer out. I just pull 2 kits (or more) that I know have common interior colors and go for it.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff C

I do not mean to sound snarky, but so, you think scanning things in a computer, setting up a program and then building is the fastest way to build? Really, how many hours did it take to do all that scanning and programming then researching your results? I'm willing to bet you could've just enjoyed building a kit in that time.

I can follow the working order of Python_61, but I never put it into an computer. Me too try to build in sections of models. but not every model is the same. I do however take time to build, as fast building and getting the model together yesterday is not worth it in the end as you once see the finished model later it shows what you have forgotten to paint or decal.

@ CorsairMan

CA glue into the whole or area to be filled and than right away add the backin g powder works very good, but it will be getting harder once dry. I try to avoid that by using miliput and wait an day and than sand it smooth.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Eric2020

Looks like you are using a central planning system with batch production... nowadays, one-piece-flow is preferred for most production systems :thumbsup:

Jokes aside, I do think Little's Law, a fundamental law of operations:

Work-In Process = Throughput x Cycle Time

is very appropriate for modelling. The more WIP you have, the longer the cycle time becomes (assuming throughput stays constant). In modelling terms, the more models you are working on at one time, the longer it takes to complete any single model.

Marcel

CA glue into the whole or area to be filled and than right away add the backin g powder works very good, but it will be getting harder once dry. I try to avoid that by using miliput and wait an day and than sand it smooth.

Baking Soda, Baking Powder will work, but it will be more of a filler for the CA, it will not dry instantly. I made that mistake first time I tried it. Baking Soda and CA glue will not shrink once hardened.

Edited by Oroka

No offense to the OP; but if I wanted to build models on an assembly line, it wouldn't be a hobby any more.

I do try to break down construction on each individual kit (I work on them one at a time); identify "color groups" (parts that can all be painted the same color at once), and figure out (preferably beforehand) how the sequence in the instructions may need to be altered for better "flow" of construction and painting.

I try to treat each sub-assembly as a discrete model in itself.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Interesting way to go about things. Don't know whether I'd use this approach every time, but making notes and listings colours, detail pics, reference pics in books by page numbers, where to divert from the instruction sequence and so on may come in really handy when building a kit or type multiple times. I've got at least a dozen kits of each of the teen series fighters, so making a check list of bits'n'bobs, building advice, things to look out for and so on will probably save some time.

I've found that (for myself, at least) anything more than 3 builds at one time constitutes a managerie, well, maybe more than 2 kits.

It is frustrating to have to clean the airbrush after painting a couple of small parts, believe me!

That said, I do try to plan ahead when circumstances allow and get the most airbrush mileage for my effort.

TheBruin,

This isn't about rushing, it is about efficiency. I was getting annoyed that as I worked through a kit, I kept having to get out a bottle of paint that I had used before on the kit, and paint yet another part that colour.

Gundamhead,

I understand that you think scanning instructions takes time that could be used building, fair comment, except that I do the scanning whilst watching sport on the TV. I can multi task, but I cannot concentrate on watching sport and build a model simultaneously. This way I get something useful done towards my models and see the game.

As for setting up the program, it wasn't a program, it is a simple three column table that took, oh, two minutes to set up.

Eric2020,

I am not rushing the building of kits, I am just making best use of my time when it comes to painting parts. Just think how many times you have painted parts from multiple kits, using the same colour over and over again. Flat black seems to be a good example of this, it seems I have used this paint countless times in many models. Using my table, I can paint flat black onto all parts for up to four kits in one sitting. You must see how this can save time. I also use this table so that I do not miss painting any parts, and can do this for up to four kits at a time, thereby getting up to four kits ready for assembly. I then proceed to assemble each kit in turn, and guess what, the painting is already done.

Don,

No joke, just efficient.

Joe and Marcel111,

It takes me maybe half an hour to read through the kit instructions and enter part numbers into my table. Now lets consider the building process, well the way I do it anyway. Spray the interior dominant colour, setting up, painting and cleaning up, an hour and a half for one kit. I do not have a dedicated area for spray painting, I have to get the cars out of the garage, set up the table, set up the spray gear, etc, I think you get the picture. To spray four kits instead of one, maybe two hours. I have saved four hours on spray painting alone. Then there is brush painting parts, it is so easy to read off the table which parts need to be painted a particular colour. Doing the painting ad hoc, well think about it, looking at the instructions, finding a part to paint, painting it, finding another part to paint that colour, sometimes you only look in that section, and have to repeat with that colour later. Once finished painting you have to clean up the brush or brushes, you can do it four or more times for four kits, or you can do it once. Once the painting is finished to the point I can start assembly, I assemble one kit at a time, no different to anyone else. It is just that for four kits, the parts that need painting before assembly are ready.

Phantom ordie,

I am having fun, I enjoy building, and I enjoy maximizing my time.

Old Blind Dog,

I build one kit at a time, I just paint four at a time, because it saves time in the long run.

THX1138,

My stash is not the biggest by any means, but forty three WWII Japanese aircraft and a further nine pre WWII US Navy aircraft will keep me going for years. My procedure should trim that time by a year or two.

ChernayaAkula,

I am glad you can see some value in getting organized, even if you are not using my particular procedure.

SteveH,

Again I am not building multiple kits at a time, I am just doing the initial painting. As you can see by an earlier paragraph, spray painting all parts is not an option for me, just to much work to set up, paint, clean up and put things away. By painting the dominant interior colour onto all parts for up to four kits, I cut the amount of work dramatically when it comes to airbrushing.

I hope that by addressing everybody's points individually, you can see how my procedure can increase efficiency. I even expect it might reduce the nagging at my place, "When are you going to finish those models?", "They will never be finished, but more will be done sooner, love."

Regard

Python_61

I apologize for not taking you seriously. A hobby is something you do for fun and relaxation. If your method makes it more enjoyable for you, then more power to you. It's just difficult for me to imagine anyone being so production oriented about it. Like they say, different strokes. I hope some day you will be able to work out something where painting won't be such a hassle.

Don

first of all, thanks for your topic Python_61.

i appreciate when someone take is time to share he's techniques.

(precious time! :worship: )

it's clear, well explained, well written.

don't let yourself be discouraged by condescending comments!

(maybe reaction to your topic title... "How to accelerate kit construction" ...some might seen there something wrong (or pompous) ...should had been titled : "getting the best of a paint session")

tough i'm not yet "computer assisted" rigorous as you. i've already do something similar when proceeding a new built (or multiple builts) it's time saving... and hassless...(the whole airbrush setup/cleaning procedure is time consumming... and had sometime discourage me to do a modelling session...)

i don't know why some people seen something wrong with that. (isn't most of us driving their car slightly over the speed limits just to save some precious minutes... at least, some times?)

some people might want to let a gigantic stach behind them for the posterity... (to who will want to built them in 30-40 years...) other might prefer to see a builded collection with their own eyes! while still alive! :cheers:

Edited by mingwin
leverancier,

I am not on medication and find your comment offensive. There are people who need that kind of medication and deriding them by such a comment, I find truly offensive. I believe an apology is in order.

Python_61

And I am offended by your offence, so I demand an apology from you!

:thumbsup:

since when modeling is about rush?

Someone say RUSH

And back to seriousness

Yes this is a great idea as I used to go through a whole series of steps,

everything from xeroxing the pages to painting everything I had in my build pile at the same time.

tacking the instructions up on the wall, and even sticking to one type of model at a time to be able to work everything as quickly as I could...

William G

I build all my models at the same time. All of them. The first thing I do when I get a new model is to build a little bit of it.

But if you really want to speed your building, the most important thing is to avoid mistakes. A mistakenly glued on object may take weeks to tear apart and fix. One badly masked area may double your painting time. Dry fit ten times, glue once.

But if you really want to speed your building, the most important thing is to avoid mistakes. A mistakenly glued on object may take weeks to tear apart and fix. One badly masked area may double your painting time. Dry fit ten times, glue once.

wisdom speaks!

i really like your post

may more people do post like that.

with all the experienced modeller here on this forum!

can't believe that it took that long before someone read the thread title and add something else that accelerate kit construction!

thanks!

anybody else wants to add something constructive (or his own discovers) that could make visiting this thread a "must" ...for thoses who are interrested in it?

thanks