Best 1/48th F-14B

Hobby Boss can be easier to build but Hasegawa's Tomcat has better detail. But Hasegawa's kit presents some fitting issues, like on the tail join and intake ramps. With some patience and skill you´ll build an excellent Tomcat.

I.Martin

The question has been discussed quite a bit on this forum; the general consensus seems to be that the HB kit has masses of 'Top Shelf' detail (engines, gun-bay, radar etc.) but also a few accuracy issues that cannot be fixed easily -the intake angle (viewed from head-on), for example. It still manages to look like a Cat when built, though! The Hasegawa offering is pricey, has less in the way of innards but better surface detail and a more accurate (though perhaps not perfect) overall shape.

You pays yer money, takes yer choice...

I'll put my balls on the line and say I prefer the Hobby Boss kit. A kit cockpit and seats that are streets ahead of anything else, more to the point it is up to date with the square PTID screen and the RIO's side controller. Weapons are included as are LTS and BRU's for the weapons pallets.

Weapons pallets forward fairings are a little shallow, the intakes are admittedly 'off' and surprisingly I might be the onlu one who's picked up the stabs are WAYYY off! The rivetting is sporadic and spurious in places. An OOB refueling probe and door make it a cinch to depict one of the OEF/OIF birds sans door.

Undercarriage MLG bays are a real fuss on the Hasegawa bird, but better detailed and fit on the HB kit.

For the money, you can spend less building a HB F-14B and just adding decals, or spend double that on Hasegawa (admittedly better accuracy) with all the resin additions you'll need to make an updated bombcat.

Your choice.

Count me in as voting Hobby Boss.

Better detail out of box combined with better fit.

Sold my Hasegawa Cat collection and went the, HB route.

Both brands have issues HB the intakes Hasegawa fit and flaps and the cockpit isnt as good to me as HB.

If you go hasegawa read Dave Aungst build tips at HS.

HB also has weapons etc for the whole famaily in the kits.

Both have plus and minus points the better fit,weapons and detail of HB wins for me. The intakes are minor and can be corrected to 90% of being accurate with a file and elbow grease.

For me, Hasegawa. In addition to the unacceptable problems in the HB kit design, I hate that ton of rivets where they could not be...

Unfortunately, the Hasegawa kit not cheapened with the arrival of the HB kit. This shows that HB kit does not offer a consistent competition to Hasegawa F-14...

Edited by FCM

I rather like the HB kit. I find the Hasegawa kit to be fiddly, and yes, I've built a few of them. In this hobby, my time if more valuable than 100% accuracy. I'll take a kit that isn't exactly spot on but builds up easily and into a good representation over a kit with 100% accuracy but is a pain to build. I use intake covers, so that takes care of the intake issue on the HB kit. The only thing that bugs me about the HB kit is the NACA vents. They are spaced too closely. I made a resin piece for the Steel Beach line that takes care of that problem, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am a fan of the HB offering. I have never built the Has version, but saw enough and read enough in advance to know what I like and don't like in builds. The HB had the appeal, and like Darren said, I'll take a pleasureable build over accuracy any day. As I tell folks, when the engines start up, and the plane starts to taxi, I'll lose sleep over rivet patterns, but until then, it's still only a somewhat accurate replica. Comparing sprues of the two, and having actually built a HB kit, I can say that the difference in the engineering, and the level of detail seems to be far superior in the HB kit. You'll notice that there's not a lot out there for aftermarket when it comes to the HB kit, because I think the vendors realized that it'd be a waste of time. All in all, decide what you like most about modeling. I can say that if you can get over something as trivial as intake angles, then you'll be pleasantly delighted with the HB kit.

Actually, there is no match.

When it comes to the Tomcat in 1/48, the Hasegawa offering is by far and large superior under - any respect - to ANY other 1/48 Tomcat released so far. Period.

This is just your opinion...and that's ok.

Here's my opinion: I'd recommend the HB kit.

I've built the Hase tomcat and have a HB in the stash. They look almost identical on the sprues. But the Hase cockpit is a joke. You almost have to buy an aftermarket pit to make the Hase tomcat even worth getting...which increases the cost of the kit another $30.

So take your pick...do you want inaccurate intakes or a POS cockpit?

Edited by Fly-n-hi

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want something to sit on the shelf that nobody is going to mistake for a 737, then the HB kit is fine.

If your goal is to build an accurate scale replica of the Grumman F-14, then Hasegawa is the only choice. The HB kit has some serious accuracy issues, regardless of how good the detail bits are. Typical of Trumpet Boss, they simply didn't do their homework.

Actually, there is no match.

When it comes to the Tomcat in 1/48, the Hasegawa offering is by far and large superior under - any respect - to ANY other 1/48 Tomcat released so far. Period.

Hmmm, let's compare cockpits. I think you might want to rethink the whole "period" thing. The HB cockpit is by far superior to the Hasegawa cockpit. Now let's look at fit. Again, the nod goes to the HB kit. Outline/shape accuracy, the nod goes to Hasegawa. As J said, it's what you're looking for in a build. Do you want a more accurate outline/shape? Then pick up the Hasegawa. Do you want an enjoyable build that goes together rather easily? Buy the HB kit. Of course, if the rumors of a Tamiya kit are actually true, this whole discussion is moot!

Darren,

Assuming that I do not have any scratchbuilding capability, and that I do not want to build my Hasegawa Tomcat with her canopy closed, I can always spend some additional money and buy an aftermarket cockpit.

On the other hand, and keep assuming that I do not have any scrathbuilding capability, would you please let me know where can I buy some accurate air-intakes? I do not know about any aftermarket release, but in case, do you think they would cost more or less than a cockpit detail set?

Happy modelling,

Darren,

Assuming that I do not have any scratchbuilding capability, and that I do not want to build my Hasegawa Tomcat with her canopy closed, I can always spend some additional money and buy an aftermarket cockpit.

On the other hand, and keep assuming that I do not have any scrathbuilding capability, would you please let me know where can I buy some accurate air-intakes? I do not know about any aftermarket release, but in case, do you think they would cost more or less than a cockpit detail set?

Happy modelling,

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want something to sit on the shelf that nobody is going to mistake for a 737, then the HB kit is fine.

If your goal is to build an accurate scale replica of the Grumman F-14, then Hasegawa is the only choice. The HB kit has some serious accuracy issues, regardless of how good the detail bits are. Typical of Trumpet Boss, they simply didn't do their homework.

Jennings if your anti Chinese manufacturer posts are to be believed it would be awesome if you could base it off having seen the kit.

Oh just for you a 737.

comp1od.jpg

People generally want the truth when they ask a question not one eyed biased rubbish.