Opinions on "Quiet" compressors

I've read through the few recent posts I can find with minimal results. I'm going to be looking to buy a new, fairly quiet airbrush compressor in the near future. Something reliable (I don't mind spending a little bit more than average) that won't rattle the walls. Suggestions?

Sil-Air is the benchmark when it comes to silent compressors, at least in Europe. I have one, and most modellers I know here in Sweden have sooner or later ended up with one.

I Really Like my Iwata Power Jet Lite IS-925 compressor. Quiet, runs about a 50% duty cycle for 18psi. The interweb claims 55dB, which is around normal conversation levels...and this I can attest to. Not cheap, though. Got mine from Coast Airbrush, which is local to me.

Before that I used a small tool compressor. Noisy and very imprecise pressure gauge...

Edited by dnl42

I've read through the few recent posts I can find with minimal results. I'm going to be looking to buy a new, fairly quiet airbrush compressor in the near future. Something reliable (I don't mind spending a little bit more than average) that won't rattle the walls. Suggestions?

CO2 tank.

Absolutely quiet (Except for the gas/paint leaving the airbrush) and doesn't need a water trap.

Sil-Air is the benchmark when it comes to silent compressors, at least in Europe. I have one, and most modellers I know here in Sweden have sooner or later ended up with one.

Is the same as Silent Aire, the company that makes the Super Silent 20-A that John has?

Stacey

I've been using Italian-manufactured Werther Sil-Air (aka Silent Aire/Supersilent in the U.S:) compressors for more than 15 years.

Super silent, robust and reliable. Definitely not the cheapest solution but (based on my personal experience) well worth every single cent.

By the way, most of the Iwata Smart Jets are Werther-manufactured compressors, the same for the Revell Omega series which is also quite popular among European modellers.

I can recommend the Delta DL84005 from my years of use.

High Output Compressor with Air Tank auto cutoff. . A high quality compressor connected to a 3.0 litre air tank. Airflow: 23 - 25 litres per minute. Includes pressure gauge, moisture trap, and adjustable pressure regulator. Complete with outlet hose. Power: 1/5HP. Max.Pressure: 58 psi (4BAR). Automatic Cut-Off when air pressure in the tank is over 6 Bar.

I've attached a 4 tap manifold, and two may be used at a time, though only one pressure setting, unless you have a reg on your airbrush.

My advice is to buy a good one from a good shop. The best brand isn't so good if spares can't be readily sourced.

All compressors are great at condensing moisture into the tank, so drain under pressure at the end of session. I'm not sure if the inside of the tank is ever really dry, but draining must help with tank life.

Good luck on your eventual selection.

G

p.s. Gunners.

Edited by Grant in West Oz

Thank you all for the great recommendations - the Silent Aire may be the way to go as they are local for me.

Grant - the Gunners? The only thing they seems to be good at is wearing tight shirts. LOL

• 1 month later...

I can recommend the Delta DL84005 from my years of use.

High Output Compressor with Air Tank auto cutoff. . A high quality compressor connected to a 3.0 litre air tank. Airflow: 23 - 25 litres per minute. Includes pressure gauge, moisture trap, and adjustable pressure regulator. Complete with outlet hose. Power: 1/5HP. Max.Pressure: 58 psi (4BAR). Automatic Cut-Off when air pressure in the tank is over 6 Bar.

I've attached a 4 tap manifold, and two may be used at a time, though only one pressure setting, unless you have a reg on your airbrush.

My advice is to buy a good one from a good shop. The best brand isn't so good if spares can't be readily sourced.

All compressors are great at condensing moisture into the tank, so drain under pressure at the end of session. I'm not sure if the inside of the tank is ever really dry, but draining must help with tank life.

Good luck on your eventual selection.

G

p.s. Gunners.

Yessir, I know that this is a little bit late, but I just wanted to chime in, and say that you are absolutely spot-on with your advice to drain the tank after use while still under pressure. I have seen small shop compressors/home compressors that don't get drained while under pressure, causing this: when the tank does get drained, out comes a pint, quart, gallon, etc.(depending on when the tank was last drained, if ever) of the nastiest looking brown watery goop. The brown comes from the inside of the tank rusting. I drain my hobby compressor, while it's under pressure, after each use. I'm on my second compressor now, and either one has ever had the "brown goop problem." If there is rust coming from the inside of the tank, I would be concerned that the integrity of the tank may be compromised. Just my 2 cents worth.