Hasegawas Mig-23 Flogger studied in detail

The prettier box and Hasegawa's reputation don't hurt either.

Very true and if you are talking about selling kits in a hobby shop, Hasegawa wins hands down for just those reasons. In my review of 1/72 MiG-23 kits the box was one of the main things going for the Hasegawa kit .

"Well the only thing I can recommend about the Hasegawa kit is that the box will fit nicely within a stack of other Hasegawa kits and it does have some very pretty artwork."

I guess now I will have to add that the Hasegawa plastic has the best look and feel. :cheers:

Regards

Jim Barr

Edited by Jim Barr

hiya

not really 'us and them' cliche, both kits offer merrits depending on what the buyer is looking for.

for a sporadic modeler of russian subjects, I woudl reccomend the hase kit as its cheap, easy to put together, and despite minor detail flaws, definatly overall captures the look of the origional well.

for those with more knowlege of the mig-23 theres the zvezda kits...harder to put together...but accurate, apart from canopy and intakes, which stand out like dogs b@lls to any modeler who knows more about the 23!

i found the landing gear quite basic aswell and used academy parts for them aswell as soem other parts.

then for the mig-23 junkies, who want a whole family, u can use both :worship: adding the the zvezda nose and burner can to the hase model, enables u to model th earlier mig-23 varients almost OOB vs using zvezda kit and cutting and scrounging for parts.

so u get the best of both worlds :worship:

regards

Raymond

Hi Andrew,

I've seen your 'MLD, and it is very nice indeed. I think you used the Zvezda radome on the Hasegawa kit? How was the fit? I have a few spare ones from my Zvezda / Italeri MiG-27 kits...

Cheers,

Andre

My thanks for your kind words! Yes, I used the Zvezda radome on it; it looked like a close-but-not-perfect fit at first, when I both test-fit it and then attached it, but was very pleasantly surprised to find that all it needed was some good sanding. Can't even tell, now! I recently got another Zvezda ML/MLD to use for parts on another Hase, namely by using the radome, weapons pylons, AA-8's, IR unit, and several other parts.

I can not address the MiG-27 issues as I have not researched that kit ( I have one but it is far down the build list)

Here is the Italeri / Zvezda that as I said does have "issues" and is not an easy build, but does (to me) capture the "look" of the 23 more then the Hasegawas kit.

Regards

Jim Barr

dsc005121fn.jpg

HOLY CRAP!

Before I scrolled down to where I could see the stand, just for a moment, I assumed it was an in flight pic of the real thing.

Bravo!

My friends, i have some good news for you, an "orphaned" version of the Flogger (23 BN) will soon be released in 1/72 by......KP...the kit looks remarkably, here's a link :cheers: :

http://www.airplanephoto.net/mig-23bn/index.htm

I love the Flogger, have built a couple of them, now working on a UB twin seater.

Here are a couple of my models:

An Academy (3 dollar copy of hase with reccessed panels :blink:)) :

23%20irak_html_4d49609.jpg

23%20irak_html_m6d5bc499.jpg

Also an academy 27 backdated to a 23BN :

23%20irak_html_72be1635.jpg

23%20irak_html_152fa620.jpg

A zvezda MLD backdated to ML : the infamous Syrian defector:

23%20siria_html_m2501c6c3.jpg

23%20siria_html_7c7888c6.jpg

I like more the cheap academy than the zvezda, though both require a lot of work. I can hardly wait the KP kit, so we can finally have a good starting point for a decent Flogger.

PS: JIM , GREAT MLD!!!

Edited by bad edd

Yeah, I'd love to see the KP offering, and to know what else they might have planned along similar lines. :praying:

Since everyone's taking the opportunity to show their Flogger work, here's my Hasegawa/Zvezda kitbash:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1...tels/fea935.htm

• 1 year later...
Also an academy 27 backdated to a 23BN

Since the KP -23BN appears to be vaporware, please tell me - what does one have to do exactly to backdate Academy's -27 to a -23BN?

Also, which variants of the Flogger were used by the Cuban Air Force?

Edited by ReiRei0

Nice thread. I've enjoyed it so far. Thanks to everyone who's been in.

I got the Italeri/ZVEZDA Flogger MLD a little while back for $7 and change, on sale. It strikes me much like the Hobbycraft kits I've built - they turned out nice enough and since this is supposed to be a hobby, they fit the budget accordingly.

Little did I know how "bad" they were, until I read the reviews and modelers comments. Same with the I/Z Flogger.

Most of the builds of these 1/72 Floggers we're discussing turn out looking alright. Some like Mr. Barr's become stellar examples of the genre. Like most of these good-bad discussions, the "bad points" end up being moot, once the paint and decals have dried. Yeah, there are a few corrections one could make to any of these kits, but even if you don't, it still looks like a MiG-23. To the scale purist, this attitude causes heartburn, but that's okay. To each his own.

I do agree that, just like the SAAB Viggen, an update of the Flogger in 1/48 is sorely needed within the hobby. DO we really need yet another Mustang or F-16, when the MiG-23 fairly screams to be done up right?

The MiG-23 was built in numbers exceeding 12,000, if memory serves. It was innovative, fast and highly manueverable and in skilled hands it was a very potent platform. It was intended to compete with the F-4 and F-111, so had to be good. The West had the chance to evaluate the MiG-23 early on in the 70's. Here's what was learned:

"In the US, these MiG-23MS and other variants acquired later from Germany were used as part of the evaluation program of Soviet military hardware. Dutch pilot Leon Van Maurer, who had more than 1200 hours flying F-16s, flew against MiG-23ML Flogger-Gs from air bases in Germany and the U.S. as part of NATO's aerial mock combat training with Soviet equipment. He concluded the MiG-23ML was superior in the vertical to early F-16 variants, just slightly inferior to the F-16A in the horizontal, and has superior BVR capability.

The Israelis tested a MiG-23MLD that defected from Syria and found it had better acceleration than the F-16 and F/A-18..." - - wikepedia

Like many Russian designs, the Flogger was downplayed, only seen in hindsight to be the excellent plane it really was.

As a design it was expandable and had many variants over many years of manufacture... and it went to a dizzying number of countries around the world. It should be kitted accurately and given it's place in the pantheon of the worlds great aircraft. Instead, it has remained in the scale modeling shadows.

So now, as usual I've rambled. Yeah, I like the MiG-23. Thanks again for this great thread.

Edited by dahut
Since the KP -23BN appears to be vaporware, please tell me - what does one have to do exactly to backdate Academy's -27 to a -23BN?

Basically, stick a MiG-27 forward fuselage to the main fuselage, GsH-23 gun, intakes and exhaust of a MiG-23 kit.

Also, which variants of the Flogger were used by the Cuban Air Force?

AFAIK the Fuerza Aerea Revolucionaria used the MiG-23MF, MiG-23UB and MiG-23BN.

HTH,

Andre

WHERE'S MY NEW TOOL 48th FLOGGER!!!

I suggest we use this whenever a new Hasegawa 48th kit is announced, no matter if it is a new Draken or a decals only rebox of a Tomcat!

IT WORKED FOR THE SCOOTER PEOPLE!

Matt

:deadhorse1:

P.S. The Rumormonger has picked up no rumors of a new tool Flogger out there other than the 32nd Trumpeter resin prototype a couple of years ago.

Great thread by the way

Basically, stick a MiG-27 forward fuselage to the main fuselage, GsH-23 gun, intakes and exhaust of a MiG-23 kit.

AFAIK the Fuerza Aerea Revolucionaria used the MiG-23MF, MiG-23UB and MiG-23BN.

HTH,

Andre

MiG-23ML too.

So, reviewing all these variants, all these Ms, MLs, MFs, MLDs, and MoFos, all in all, which kit would I want to get to model a Cuban Flogger?

Thanks all for guiding me through the dark forest of arcane versions.

I can not address the MiG-27 issues as I have not researched that kit ( I have one but it is far down the build list)

Here is the Italeri / Zvezda that as I said does have "issues" and is not an easy build, but does (to me) capture the "look" of the 23 more then the Hasegawas kit.

Regards

Jim Barr

dsc005121fn.jpg

Jim, that is one hell of a nice looking Flogger! B)

Just gorgeous! ;)

I take it you re cribed the whole beast?

So, reviewing all these variants, all these Ms, MLs, MFs, MLDs, and MoFos, all in all, which kit would I want to get to model a Cuban Flogger?

MoFo's - hha! Funny!!

Wings Palette has a number of Cuban Mig 23's the majority of which are "B's" in the single seat bersion. SO the Hasegawa kit seems to be the one.

As long as we are on the subject of Flogers, does somebody know what are the corect dimensions & what do they actually include. I have several sources & they dont match. The problem is in lenght mostly.

Jim, that is one hell of a nice looking Flogger! :thumbsup:

Just gorgeous! :rolleyes:

I take it you re cribed the whole beast?

I have to add my compliments as well. That is just an awesome model. The paint is perfect and even the pilot looks realistic. I know it sounds cliche but when I first looked the pix quickly, I thought it was an in-flight photo of the real thing.

Regards,

John