F/A-18 Blue Angel crashes on foxnews

Couldnt have said it better Brock he is opposing solo with God now Erick

Everyone has many questions right now as to why and how things have gone so bad so quick to such an awesome show of military power, but lets keep in mind we need to have the family and friends of Lt. Commander Kevin Davis lives to be restored with peace and happiness and joy. Lt. Commander Kevin Davis died doing what he loved and he did it well, so rest in peace Kevin. ;)

Brock

I agree, from the descriptions you would almost think he might of blacked out or something. We will have to wait and see what they find out

Not to be argumentative but I don't think they fly fast enough in those maneuvers to black out. Plus, Davis was a well experienced pilot and was with the outfit a previous year.

Around 360 or so CAS, bank, chop, bleed speed, you'll be under 200 CAS in no time with the -18. Something happened to the plane like an engine stall or something as there looks like some pro-verse yaw at the end of his flight.

Not to be argumentative but I don't think they fly fast enough in those maneuvers to black out. Plus, Davis was a well experienced pilot and was with the outfit a previous year.

Around 360 or so CAS, bank, chop, bleed speed, you'll be under 200 CAS in no time with the -18. Something happened to the plane like an engine stall or something as there looks like some pro-verse yaw at the end of his flight.

I haven't seen any pictures or video of what happened. We'll know when they know I guess?

In my opinion, there is absolutely no need for all of this "speculation." I think everyone should honor this Man and send thoughts and prayers to his family.

The rest will happen when it is time.

God Rest his soul and be with everyone involved during this difficult time.

Craig

Kinda grounds you when you hear about this. These guys risk their lives EVERY time they go up in the air. There are no "gimmies." Regardless of what happened with the engine or airframe etc. ...it is a great tragedy. Many families have lost a loved one....very sad indeed. RIP

In my opinion, there is absolutely no need for all of this "speculation." I think everyone should honor this Man and send thoughts and prayers to his family.

The rest will happen when it is time.

God Rest his soul and be with everyone involved during this difficult time.

Craig

Craig, I am sure everyone involved with the Blue Angles including his family are speculating as to what happened. I am pretty sure he would be also if it was one of his comrades. I’ve lost several friends in accidents over the years and it’s complete natural to wonder what happened. My dad's best friend flew into a hill in a T-33 chasing deer out of Moose Jaw. He still speculates as to why? Please don’t let speculation be misinterpreted into disrespect to him or his family or his friends. I am pretty confident all of us were shocked when we first heard of this, feel for his loss and offer condolences to everyone he knew. It’s not meant in disrespect.

With that said, your comment points out that this could look "cold" therefore I agree

Craig, I am sure everyone involved with the Blue Angles including his family are speculating as to what happened. I am pretty sure he would be also if it was one of his comrades. I’ve lost several friends in accidents over the years and it’s complete natural to wonder what happened. My dad's best friend flew into a hill in a T-33 chasing deer out of Moose Jaw. He still speculates as to why? Please don’t let speculation be misinterpreted into disrespect to him or his family or his friends. I am pretty confident all of us were shocked when we first heard of this, feel for his loss and offer condolences to everyone he knew. It’s not meant in disrespect.

With that said, your comment points out that this could look "cold" therefore I agree

Ron,

Yes- but to my knowlege no-one here is affiliated with the Blue Angels, or has any idea about where they will get a replacement aircraft or replacement pilot etc.....and certainly what happened and why, which makes most of this un-educated blabber.

I think sometimes it is enough to just say "I don't know" and let it be - and I find it in-appropriate to have such discussions, especially when nobody here has a clue as to the answers.

This is not the time or place for that.

A Man has lost his life. His family has lost a Son / Husband / Father, and the Blues have lost a Brother / Partner.

Who really cares, at this point, what jet they will use to replace his, and what pilot will replace him.

Just my 2 cents - Craig

My first thought when I heard this, and the circumstances around it, that to me, it sounds like he blacked out. A bird strike, a flameout, any sort of non-catostrophic mechanical failure, I would assume the pilot would either radio about a problem and/or make an attempt to bail out. I heard others "in the business" who share in that same sentiment. There was an article concerning the previous BA crash, where a pilot, fighting through a rib injury, blacked out and crashed when he wasn't able to bear down during high G manuevers. There was some talk about requiring BA pilots to wear G suits, which they resisted, and they still to this day fly thier routines without them.

All this said, this indeed was tragic.

Ron,

Yes- but to my knowlege no-one here is affiliated with the Blue Angels, or has any idea about where they will get a replacement aircraft or replacement pilot etc.....and certainly what happened and why, which makes most of this un-educated blabber.

I think sometimes it is enough to just say "I don't know" and let it be - and I find it in-appropriate to have such discussions, especially when nobody here has a clue as to the answers.

This is not the time or place for that.

A Man has lost his life. His family has lost a Son / Husband / Father, and the Blues have lost a Brother / Partner.

Who really cares, at this point, what jet they will use to replace his, and what pilot will replace him.

Just my 2 cents - Craig

Fair point Craig. I totally agree on the replacement point, this is not the time nor the place nor even the conversation right now. We may disagree about whether it's right or wrong to speculate on what happened but this point we are 100% on the same page.

Ron

FWIW, "G-Loc" as causal factor in a mishap (along with hypoxia), without other evidence such as a cockpit video or communications tape, etc. should usually be interpreted as "we don't know why they crashed." So, I'm glad you guys have already solved it and saved the mishap board the time. BTW, speculation about the cause is oh, the next to last step in investigating a mishap before you put things on paper. Otherwise you'll play out an episode of "Law and Order" and arrest the wrong guy for 3/4's of the process.

Way early to speculate, especially with complete destruction of the airframe - prayers for his family are more important at this time.

Just to be fair, I don't think anyone meant disrespect by any speculation, I think it's a common reaction to any event that has shocked people, trying to rationalize why an event happened is a normal gut reaction ... The first thing most people do after hearing news of this nature, is ask themselves or outloud, "How ?", "Why ?", etc ...

Gregg

I don't think anyone has meant any disrespect, but I think there's a nationwide trend to immediately try to find fault / place blame as soon as possible after an incident.

Watch the news - any channel, any day - if something "bad" happens, there'll be analysis as to what happened, and no end to the talking heads pontificating about what should be done - all before all the facts are in.

I watched this guy fly a couple of weeks ago at the airshow at Tyndall AFB. I can promise you that every military pilot knows the risks every time they strap into a flying machine. I fly thousands of people around the world every year, but if I'm ever involved in an accident, within minutes, a whole bunch of people will be speculating what I did wrong, and analyzing everything I've ever done in an aircraft.

Professional investigators will eventually find out what happened. The pilot was gone the split second the jet hit - in that instant, it was over for him. Now, the hard part will be for his family, friends and team members. They will be the ones who have to deal with the pain of his loss - and for them, I have the deepest sympathy. He achieved one of the highest accomplishments in aviation - and at least he went out doing what he loved. A far better ending than to fade away wishing about things you never tried, places you never went, or people you never got closer to.

If anything good can come out of someone's death, it should be that it helps you put your life into perspective, and remind you that we really don't have all the time in the world...

Hitch

I too didnt mean my remarks as being *cold*, and I apologize if they were taken that way. When I typed that I had just came back from Barksdale & my brain was a little more than fried, especially after the Tbirds cut their show short due to a birdstrike on the #2 jet.

My condolences to Blues family.

Ves B)

I just hope no one else is hurt ....1 is 1 to many in my books

As you now know it was Blue Angel No.6 flown by Lt Cmdr Davis,who's first flight season with the team was this one,although it['s reported he's been with the squadron for two years....

Also said to missions in 2004 in OEF,witha F-14 unit...

My references show CVW-17(VF-103),CVW-8(VF-31/213) at that year

TH

Have you ever seen the in-cockpit videos shot during a routine? Those guys (especially the Solos) are pulling hard, maybe 6-7Gs at times. You don't have to be doing 600kts to pull high Gs. I once came back from a flight in an Extra 300L and the G meter read 10.5G and we never got above 200kts. Granted it is a much smaller airplane, but I'm sure our fast jet drivers here can tell you that low airpseeds does not mean you cannot pull high Gs.

I don't believe he blacked out. I'm guessing some sort of engine or flight control failure. My first question when I heard about the accident was why didn't he pull the handle? Do the pilots always think they can save it?

God Speed Cdr. Davis :)

Chappie

Edited by Chappie

Just throwing my .002 cents in. At the low altitudes that I fly and train students in the Blackhawk I am only 5-10 seconds away from the ground at any given time and that is going at around 120 knots. At the altitude and speed the jets are moving you maybe have 1-2 seconds to diagnose the problem and apply a correction. If he was already maneuvering into position for the formation pass he was looking at the other airplanes and not outside, so at that point his attention was focused towards the other a/c. Most pilots and this is my own opinion that in that situation will sacrifice themselves in order not to cause loss of life on the ground or damage to property. And also too he maybe just didnt have the time to pull the ejection handle. Again just my .002 cents Erick

Have you ever seen the in-cockpit videos shot during a routine? Those guys (especially the Solos) are pulling hard, maybe 6-7Gs at times. You don't have to be doing 600kts to pull high Gs. I once came back from a flight in an Extra 300L and the G meter read 10.5G and we never got above 200kts. Granted it is a much smaller airplane, but I'm sure our fast jet drivers here can tell you that low airpseeds does not mean you cannot pull high Gs.

I don't believe he blacked out. I'm guessing some sort of engine or flight control failure. My first question when I heard about the accident was why didn't he pull the handle? Do the pilots always think they can save it?

God Speed Cdr. Davis :)

Chappie

Update from the Navy Times.

Bystanders’ help sought in Angels probe

By Chris Amos - Staff writer

Posted : Wednesday Apr 25, 2007 9:19:47 EDT

Navy investigators have requested assistance from spectators who attended an air show Saturday as they try to find out what caused that show to end with a fiery crash that killed a Blue Angels pilot.

Lt. Cmdr. Kevin J. Davis, of Pittsfield, Mass., died in the crash.

The Aviation Mishap Board has asked for videotapes or photographs taken by spectators Saturday at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C., that show Davis’ F/A-18 Hornet in the minutes before it crashed.

Eight people on the ground were injured when the Hornet crashed into a wooded residential area about 35 miles northwest of Hilton Head, S.C., but Marine officials have not provided updates on their conditions.

The Aviation Mishap Board, based in Norfolk, Va., typically examines videotapes and photographs, along with aircraft wreckage, maintenance records, witness interviews, control tower and cockpit voice recordings and the aviator’s medical and sleep history to determine the cause of Navy and Marine aircraft crashes.

Gunnery Sgt. Shannon Arledge, a spokeswoman for MCAS Beaufort, said a board member announced Tuesday morning that the plane’s voice recorder had been found in good condition.

A statement released by Marine officials said that the average time it takes to complete an investigation is three months, but Arledge stressed that board members would take as long as they need.

Davis, 32, was in his second year with the team. Last year, he served as air show narrator; this year, he flew as the team’s opposing solo, often breaking away from the other pilots as they performed in formation.

Funeral services for Davis are still being finalized but are expected to be held in Pensacola, Fla., the Blue Angels’ home base, according to Mass Communications Chief Victor Brabble, spokesman for the Blue Angels.

Brabble said the team canceled its show next weekend at Vidalia, Ga., and returned to Pensacola to mourn.

He said the team hoped to resume its air show schedule May 5 and 6 at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.

Anyone who has video or photographs that could be useful to investigators is asked to call MCAS Beaufort at (843) 228-7121.

Hello all. Here's an update, forgive me if you've heard it before as I am just replying at the end of the thread instead of reading all of it.

Team News - Merlin, last years lead solo, will be rejoining the team as #6 and probably do a full 2 year tour with them to keep the current assignments on track. The team will most likely go to El Centro for about a two week intense work-up and then proceed with the show schedule.

The memorial service is scheduled for tomorrow - I hope everyone will sport some Blue and Yellow - I know I will be.

Edited by Fuji