Just started this new one from Hobby Boss in 1:48

Its the North American FJ-4 Fury

Really impressed with the cockpit, less so with the instrument panel which is truly awful. I am going to add some scratchbuilt details to the IP then I'll put up some before and after piccies of it.

For now though , here is the cockpit. I scratchbuilt some form of canopy opening/closing mechanism on the rear deck behind the ejection seat as ther was noting moulded on or included in the kit for this area, just a blank deck. So it was a quick rummage in the spares box to find some suitably shaped bits n piees to fill the void, paint them blak and drybrush them dark grey. The rest is whats in the box except pre-painted seatstraps from an Eduard set. the e/j really is fantastic for a OOB item.

WIP004-7.jpg

I also scratchbuilt a piece to put inside the rear portion of the opening part of the canopy as I want to display the canopy open on my model. This was a plasticard base with more spares box rubbish stuck on and painted the same as the rear cockpit decking. It should look better than a blank area on the finished model.

WIP005-6.jpg

I added some lead shot to the nose to stop tailsitting and then closed up the fuselage, the joints were perfect, just a light sanding to elimimate the seams will be needed. The one piece nose gear bay fitted easily too, its well detailed too; pity the doors are shut with gear down, they only open on cycling of the gear up or down.

Decided to add the IP as is, its rubbish, but can't be seen anyway with the coaming on and all painted black

WIP006-5.jpg

WIP007-5.jpg

WIP008-4.jpg

A dry fit of the wing to fuselage found that a significant gap appeared at either side at the upper wingroot. So a short length of sprue was cut and strategically placed to spread the fuselage enough to close the gap.Simple really!

WIP009-4.jpg

The main and nose undercarriage legs are moulded with the oleo struts completely compressed; as if the measurements that HobbyBoss took for the moulds were from a museum example whihc all the fluid has drained out over the years. Its a quick fix with some plastic rod and some scrap etch for the nose leg scissor link. It improves the look of the stance in comparison to a plane that still flies in the US.

Before .......

WIP010-4.jpg

After......

WIP012-5.jpg

Stance after modification.....

WIP011-3.jpg

I also sanded off the moulded in lower rear airbrake that is only fitted to the FJ-4B, not the earlier FJ-4. HobbyBoss obviously made only one set of moulds for they have both the FJ-4 and FJ-4B models out.

WIP013-4.jpg[

Right, almost ready for paint now. All gaps filled and sanded on the lower fuselage where the u/c doors don't fit proper. Otherwise all is sound. I broke it all down into sections to make it easier and also means less sprue on the bench getting in the way. I need to add brake lines to the main gear as they are quite prominent. the nose gear not so much. Aso need to reposition the pylons on the tanks as they are too far forward in the kit.

WIP015-3.jpg

WIP014-3.jpg

As I mentioned, the pylons on the tanks are positioned too far forward if installed OOB, so i trimmed down the tabs and filled the resultant gaps in the tanks with plastic strip. Easy fix methinks!

WIP-6.jpg

I primed the airframe with Alclad grey primer and piolished it back with mastercasters sanders to a nice smooth shine, then added a pre-shade with Gunze Matt Black. I also sprayed Alclad Aluminium along the leading edges. Just need to mask these off and I can get on the with white and gull grey.

WIP017-2.jpg

I got the white paint on. The shading seems to have worked. i'd like your opinions guys...does it need more white? or is it just right? All comments welcomed!!

WIP018-1.jpg

Also tried something new to me. Chipped the tanks using Alclad Aluminium first, sponged on some masking fluid and sprayed them white and the rubbed off the masking fluid. I like it! Any feedback gratefully received on this too though...

WIP019-1.jpg

Edited by Mikeew

Great build! I´ve got a H-B Fury in my stash as well awaiting attention, so This build is very interesting indeed :woot.gif:

About the paint flaking....I´ve been thinking of that way of doing as well, I think you´ve got great results. So far I´ve only used my spunge on armor but maybe it´s time for it to jump to aircraft as well!

Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks for all the positives guys.

You guys who have this in your stash, bring it forward, its a cracker of kit to build. The mould quality is up there with Tamiya and Hasgawa. :thumbsup:

So onto the Gull Grey uppers. I used Gunze acrylic semi-gloss which sprays beautifully and is quite translucent allowing the colour to be built up over the preshading. I boxed on the airbrake bays as they are incorrect. They seem to be copied from an F-86, the Fury had blank interiors of the airbrake bays as far as I am aware.

These were duly sprayed matt red too.

Also glossed up the whole thing with two coats of Klear through the airbrush.

WIP020-2.jpg

I got the decals on, really nice and thin, if a little bright! Might have to tone them down a bit.They worked well though and settled down nicely using Klear as setting solution.

Also added the wheels and painted the oleos silver, I popped the seat in too.

Loooking like a real 'plane now!!

WIP021-2.jpg

Anyway, I have added a panel wash courtesy of mr Flory's finest Dark Grey. The finess of the mouldings really can be seen here. Bear in mind its had primer, preshade, top color and two coats of Klear before the wash and you can see they are picked out beautifully finely.

WIP022-2.jpg

WIP023-2.jpg

Nooow that is a great build!!!!

I think that the chipped paint looks fantastic!is really effective and gootta absolutely love it!!!!

I want to use the sponge myself but dipped in the alu paint...just a reversed method...and wanna try of course the one you did on the next next build!

you wanted some feedback??? --> absolutely great dude!!!

Cheers

:salute:

Thanks guys, much appreciated :rolleyes:

Applying some shading and patchy effects as seen on USN birds is relatively easy with thinned Tamiya Sky Grey to contrast the Gull Grey. I streaked the lower areas with Tamiya Smoke and also added gunsmoke stains. I also heavily thinned the Sky Grey and oversprayed the markings too to tone them down a bit.

Nearly at the finish mark now.

WIP024-2.jpg

WIP027.jpg

WIP025-1.jpg

WIP026.jpg

WIP005-6.jpg

If you aren't too far into the build. I can send you this part for under the canopy. It is part of the full resin set I am working on.

PM me with your address. I'll send it to you.

reardeck.jpg