Academy updating thier 48th Eagles

That does look nice. Nice wepons also. Slap the RM PW exhaust on it and it's a USAF SE. Like the rails, AIM-9X and GBU-38's.

Chuck

That seems bass-ackwards to me. Why not slap the Academy rails, AIM-9X and GBU-38's on RM's more-accurate and better-fitting Strike Eagle?

To say buying the Academy F-15K kit to use the parts to add to the Revell kit would be more expensive would only apply to certain people. If you live in the U.S. or somewhere where your hobby stores carry Wolfpack or other AM sets or you can order them from Sprue Brothers for a good price and shipping because you are in the same country as the supplier, then I agree buying the F-15K to add to the Revell kit would be expensive and better off to buy the Wolfpack set. But, for others like myself who live in Canada and no stores carry Wolkpack sets for me to order online through Sprue Brothers or someone else who are based outside of Canada with the price/tax/shipping etc it would cheaper for me to just buy the Academy F-15K from my local hobby store and add the applicable parts to my already owned Revell F-15E kit. Buying the Academy kit would be like me buying an AM set but the bonus part is I will also get weapons with Academy kit to add to my Revell kit so it is a way better bang for my buck!

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/48001.html

The WolfPack Design set was discontinued and is no longer available. Also it did not include SLAM-ERs nor the AN/AWW-13 (which hasn't even been produced in resin), nor GBU-38s and so on. The cost for the set was anywhere from $30 - $50 depending on where and if you could find it. For the same high end price, you get more than the WolfPack D set and an F-15 to boot. And while the F-15 does have issues, its no where near unbuildable. Seems like a no brainer to me. I see parts here for an S-3 build and an F-15E build with lots of extras and a maybe a wheel's up D. Or maybe I'll pass the actual aircraft off to my buddy Ken whose worked miracles with the kit in the past. God knows I owe him! Count me in for at least one.

Hm. Never built the Acad F-15, so I only know the issues from what I've heard from others. Kudos for them catching the AN/AWW-13 Data Link Pod, and the extra chaff/flare buckets on the tail booms. However, looking at the pictures /build ups posted, I see a few places where it appears Academy missed the details or chose not to address from the 'base' kits.

1. Starting with the very picky, and really not an issue for the builder, but speaking to Academy's interest in accuracy: Colors used in the build-ups. I believe the -K should have an all-black cockpit, like the Israeli F-15I Ra'am. I also think the underside of the speed brake should be Gunship Gray, like the rest of the plane, and not white. Understand these two items are very minor and can be controlled by the builder; however, again, I think they speak to Academy's mindset on accuracy. Maybe this was done just to allow a more 'interesting' or 'eye-catching' photo. Marketing, I guess...

2. 'Skinny' mass balance on the Stbd vert stab. -Ks should have the larger diameter housing on both vert stabs. A little hard to tell for sure, but looks like this one got missed.

3. Round ECS grille on the panel just aft/below the back seater's right side of the canopy should be deleted. Easy fix with a dab of putty.

~None of these are deal-breakers; and only #3 is even a 'for sure' item that need fixing, and may be okay once we all see what really is included in the box. Now, if they just make the adjustments for what is needed to do the F-15SG (extended CFTs, additional antennae, fuselage bulges/warts below the WSO's cockpit, etc. - THEN we're talking...

Woops. Had put in the wrong DLP designation. Sorry Fuji- looks like you already had it correct. And the JFS chimney configuration has already been metioned; the Academy page line drawings would make it appear that the rear fuselage has the A-D style (single oval-shaped off-center vent) vice the correct six-opening (3 per side, along the center spine panels) -E style vents.

Edited by Harv

That looks pretty good though I wish they had a close up of the AWW-13 pod. The SLAM-ERs look good and is it me or did they retool the top fuselage? The engine nacelles look less defined with softer edges than I seem to remember. Looks far from unbuildable out of the box to this Eagle layman.

Well, looking at the sprue shots that have now been posted, it appears I have to ammend my earlier post- The large-diameter ECM bullets seem to be correct; although the JFS chimney vents are incorrect for an -E variant and the ECS grille as mentioned is present and should be filled. As Fuji said, it certainly doesn't look 'unbuildable'... Kewl.

MMZ posted sprue shots of Academy's F-15K. They are saying that Academy is also going to release F-15E in the future.

I wonder what ordinance we'll see with the USAF bird then? I'd bet the AAMs and GBU's from this kit'll stay but maybe they'll add some laser-guided Paveway IIs/IIIs, and (:doh:) GBU-15s and 28's. :)

And of course....

Weapons decalllllzzzzz! :nanner: Didja look at that that sheet? :banana: holycowIloveyouAcademythankyousomuch!

Edited by sv51macross
The engine nacelles look less defined with softer edges than I seem to remember.

The build up looked that way to me as well at first, but look closer at where the speed break ends, close to the beginning of the nacelles. Also, the upper fuselage sprue picture shoes that it still has the exaggerated and overdefined nacelles.

That looks pretty good though I wish they had a close up of the AWW-13 pod. The SLAM-ERs look good and is it me or did they retool the top fuselage? The engine nacelles look less defined with softer edges than I seem to remember. Looks far from unbuildable out of the box to this Eagle layman.

You are correct. It is mentioned in MMZ article that Academy worked on engine nacelles to smooth the edges.

I wonder what ordinance we'll see with the USAF bird then? I'd bet the AAMs and GBU's from this kit'll stay but maybe they'll add some laser-guided Paveway IIs/IIIs, and (:pray:) GBU-15s and 28's. :monkeydance:

And of course....

Weapons decalllllzzzzz! :yahoo: Didja look at that that sheet? :woot.gif: holycowIloveyouAcademythankyousomuch!

I reiterate

CaptJ.jpg

You are correct. It is mentioned in MMZ article that Academy worked on engine nacelles to smooth the edges.

Cool, its still pretty defined but looks better than I had remembered. Thanks for the assist with the translation

I reiterate

CaptJ.jpg

No, I view the whole "courtship" thing as a complete and willing surrender of one's dignity and common sense for mere reproduction and 'emotional gratification'. From what I've observed from my compatriots in HS and college, it just isn't worth the time, effort, and especially, monetary resources.

Derailed.jpg

Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, this seriously looks like the second-best 1:48 kit Academy has out right now. (Must I ask what #1 is?) Now if they'd just adjust the molding on thier Bombcat and stick in some F-110s...:thumbsup:

But seriously, what'll be in the USAF bird? If Academy went to the trouble to tool weapons for the Slam-Eagle, maybe they'll do such things as the GBU-15, 28,and 39 for this kit (in Over-G one could put SDB's on the Strike Eagle on four-bomb pallets, for sixteen altogether). It'd be really nice to see those. If, for the USAF kit we see a warmed-over original Beagle I'm going to...buy a Slam-Eagle and carve off the Tiger-Eye.

All in all...when the heck are we going to see this kit!!??

The build up looked that way to me as well at first, but look closer at where the speed break ends, close to the beginning of the nacelles. Also, the upper fuselage sprue picture shoes that it still has the exaggerated and overdefined nacelles.

Keith, the sprue shots with the fuselage look that way to me as well - the same - but a bit hard to tell in photos