1/48 Eduard MIG-21 MF Bis SMT

Dang right they're nice kits! I wish I had time to build several of each!

Aaron

I have got 2 Eduard MF's(one profitpack and one overtrees kit)and a Eduard Mig-21SMT.Also 4 Academy kits with resin cockpits.Eduard is so much better.I'll probably get the Eduard bis when it comes out.

Years is a good educated guess. We have been shocked before, though, and I think a lot will depend on how well the MF,SMT, and bis sell. My prediction is that they sell like hotcakes. There's no doubt that the early MiG-21 versions (sorry, still learning about this one) will sell just as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we were made to patiently wait it out though either.

Aaron

Hello guys,

Just jumping into this topic to confirm the release of the bis kit. It should be by the end of this year.

Regarding the 1st gen. machines - We will really focus on those after we're done with the 2nd gen. machines. From what I can remember - PM, PFM, R and respective subversions.

Stick to the information given by Vladimir Sulc during Eday 2010 in the interview with Jindrich Sterbacek -

(@1:40)

Better turn the subtitles on, as the sound isn't that good...

Hello guys,

Just jumping into this topic to confirm the release of the bis kit. It should be by the end of this year.

Regarding the 1st gen. machines - We will really focus on those after we're done with the 2nd gen. machines. From what I can remember - PM, PFM, R and respective subversions.

Stick to the information given by Vladimir Sulc during Eday 2010 in the interview with Jindrich Sterbacek -

(@1:40)

Better turn the subtitles on, as the sound isn't that good...

R is second gen, sharing the similar frame with M and MF

R is second gen, sharing the similar frame with M and MF

It depends how you categorize.

1st gen... daylight interceptor: F, F-13

2nd... all-weather intercetor: PF, PFS, FL, PFM

3rd... tactical fighter: S, R, M, SM, MF, SMT

4th...<fill up with something>: bis

Yep Laurent, I made a typo. The 3rd generation! I'm writing the review and reading the forums simultaneously, so errors are inevitable!

No problem but I still don't know how to classify the bis. 4th generation ? if so, low altitude fighter (while the 3rd gen would be mid altitude) ? the ultimate version of a long in tooth family (late Fifties - early Sixties design that was still produced when fly-by-wire aircrafts existed) ?

Jennings

If it happens, I would probably give it years.

Hi Jennings,

It should be sooner! The bis is scheduled for the end of the year. It should look good.

Laurent,

The bis is a 4th generation fighter within the MiG-21 family and not as a 4th generation fighter in terms of design, avionics, airframe . . .

The Brassin MiG-21 cockpit is ammazing.

Best regards,

Gabor

Laurent,

The bis is a 4th generation fighter within the MiG-21 family and not as a 4th generation fighter in terms of design, avionics, airframe . . .

I know but why isn't the bis classified with the 3rd generation MiG-21s ?

Hi Laurent,

The MiG-21 bis was a brand new aircraft, new airframe, new materials in the structure, new avionics, new weapons. . .

Apart from the name it has little in common with all previous aircraft. This is why I say it is a new generation with in the MiG-21 family.

Best regards

Gabor

The MiG-21 bis was a brand new aircraft, new airframe, new materials in the structure, new avionics, new weapons. . .

Apart from the name it has little in common with all previous aircraft. This is why I say it is a new generation with in the MiG-21 family.

Ok but was there a huge increase in capability compared to the SM/MF/SMT ?

Hi Lauren,

I am not a pilot, just a modeller. I am interested in structure, colour, details, shapes . . . The bis was a new fighter, it was different and better in many way. It was for a different purpose and pilots loved it. Still they prefered the MiG-21F-13 if it was for the joy of flight.

Best regards

Gabor

The bis had some structural modifications, use of alternative materials (Titanium) but main improvements were the radar (RP-22) and the R-25-300 engine . This engine has a so called "special mode" (only on/off for short time due to the fuel consumption). With this mode the bis could achieve climb rates up to 225 m/s.

Also for model builder is important that there were two different types of bis: bis SAU and bis Lasur. The visible difference are the ILS-antennas under the nose and on top of the fin. This feature was only available on bis SAU (SAU is the russian short for System of Automatc Control, i.e. autopilot). With SAU automatic approaches are possible until 40m cloud min level and 800 m visibility. The system was developed for following generations (23, 29. The problem with the bis was the limited space inside the plane, so the designers had to decide eighter to install the SAU autopilot or the Lasur data link, that's why 2 different bis'. Following generations (MiG-23) had both systems which could work together, i.e. it is possible to control (to pilot) the plane from ground (fully automatic interception)(it is very impressive to hear in the radio the pilot: "Please don't forget to switch-off my afterburner, I'm running out of fuel...")

Regards

Tom

Edited by Floggerman

Ok. Lets say...

4th... reworked tactical fighter in response to the not-too-great intended MiG-21 successor (pre-MLs MiG-23 had poor dogfighting capabilities)

Edited by Laurent
Following generations (MiG-23) had both systems which could work together, i.e. it is possible to control (to pilot) the plane from ground (fully automatic interception)(it is very impressive to hear in the radio the pilot: "Please don't forget to switch-off my afterburner, I'm running out of fuel...")

Mmm... I'm familiar with the Lazur guidance link and its various iterations and I've never heard of throttle control from the ground. Flight control OK since it's via the autopilot. But as far as throttle control is concerned, AFAIK the pilot only receives speed or throttle setting order on the radar scope or HUD depending on the plane such as "speed 800" or "light afterburner". Controlling the throttle from the ground would mean mechanical actuators on the throttle, I'm quite skeptical about that. Even if it were the case, the pilot could always disengage Lazur and revert to manual throttle to cut off AB :huh:

Mmm... I'm familiar with the Lazur guidance link and its various iterations and I've never heard of throttle control from the ground. Flight control OK since it's via the autopilot. But as far as throttle control is concerned, AFAIK the pilot only receives speed or throttle setting order on the radar scope or HUD depending on the plane such as "speed 800" or "light afterburner". Controlling the throttle from the ground would mean mechanical actuators on the throttle, I'm quite skeptical about that. Even if it were the case, the pilot could always disengage Lazur and revert to manual throttle to cut off AB :huh:

I didn't say "throttle", I said afterburner! The a/b command was for sure a Lasur-command. And the dialogue was more funny meant. (But true, I heard it) BTW: the Mig-23 has no auto-throttle at all, as you may know.

Edited by Floggerman

Not sure if everyone caught it, but if you are interested in arming your SMT with a unique weapon, there is now a resin IAB-500 bomb available. This was a training weapon used on the SMT to practice delivery methods for a real nuclear device. It was filled with a mixture of phosphorus, fuel oil and explosives so that on impact, it generated a large mushroom cloud that could be seen for quite a distance. I believe that the shape is also identical to the actual nuclear weapon so if you want to model a doomsday MiG-21, this is the way to do it. The review is on the August 9 ARC cover page, picture of the weapon is here:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev4/3901-4000/rev3951-aero-bonus-480014/07.jpg

• 1 month later...