Thunderbirds and Blue Angel models

The neat thing is, we can now do 8 of those birds in 1/32 scale too

I love a collection like that, shows determination and excellence.

How many of us have bought a set of kits for a purpose, and never gotten more than one finished?

Nice !

I wonder if these were the Hasegawa/Minicraft 1:72 boxed sets of both teams ?

Doubtful, unless he used practically nothing but aftermarket decals or paintwork. Reason being is the decals in those boxed sets sucked as they were incomplete and in the T-birds case didn't even have any white for the tails and stabs on the silver jets. Hasegawa offered better decals for at least the F-105B when they offered it by itself.

Very nice builds. On the Thunderbirds side, a couple gaps would be the F-100C and maybe the T-33 used for some VIP flights. So it isn't just the blues that are missing a couple planes. All the same it is a very impressive display!

I don't believe anyone has done an F7U-1 Cutlas in proper 1/72 scale as I recall that while Lindberg's offering was somewhat close, it was still off scale. The F7U-1 was also so different from the later jets that I think maybe only the wings outboard of the twin tail booms might remain unaltered. Everything else would need a total rebuild. The Blues hated those two jets anyway as they had this tendancy to crap their whole load of hydraulic fluid after landing and it was a different fluid from what they normally used. But, as I understand it in the handful of times they were used, they could pull off excellent solo routines as they had a phenomenal roll rate (almost 720 degrees a second if I recall correctly)!

Edited by Jay Chladek
would love to do the cutlass but doing know what kit to use any body have any ideas?

I think the Lindberg Cutlass may the correct one. It's the F7U-1 version in 1/48 scale. Amazon.com has it for sale for $7.50 so even if it does need some work, it's not like you're breaking the bank to get one.

:whistle:

Mike

Edited by mlicari

Anigrand has a 1/72 F7U-1 in resin and includes the BA decals. It is a little expensive at about $45 to $50. I have one about 1/2 built.

The Thunderbird line up has a D model F-100 with C markings in the correct chronological spot for the C. The D should go between the Thud and Phantom.

Darwin

The neat thing is, we can now do 8 of those birds in 1/32 scale too

Ric, I'm currently working on a 1/32 Blue Angels A-4F which, when finished,

will be aircraft #2 (the USMC pilot) for either the 1979 or 1980 season. I

saw the Blues flying A-4's in '78, '79, and 1980.

Man, I'd kill to see a Thud fly...and a Super Sabre!

Been there, done that on both accounts. :cheers: Guess that's what I get for

joining the Air Force......

In fact, saw the Thunderbirds flying F-100's when I was a kid. :pray::taunt:

Did not see them again until the late 70's flying T-38's. I which I would have

seen the Blues and/or Thunderbirds flying F-4's....

Edited by Kalashnikov-47