CF-104 Starfighter "1 Canadian Air Group"

dsc03108j.jpg

Hi everybody B)

I started this kit shortly before the GB... I know I should present here a work since the beginning...

so I hope that you will not mind that I present a model already well advanced.

Given the many "CF-104 fanatics" in this corner of ARC, I wanted to share this model with you and I hope you enjoy the rest of my work.

This is the Hasegawa kit OOB (this kit is still available widely)80842945.jpg

My only changes are :

- the pitot tube,

- a resin C-2 seat,

- the practice bomb dispenser from Italeri, slightly modified,

- the Leading Edge decal set 72.20.

This is the 3 colour variegated camo scheme with definitive low viz CAF markings.

I chosed a CF-104 of the 1st Canadian Air Group seen at the Allied Force Tactical Air Meet held at Ramstein AB in June 1980.

Canadair(CL-90)683A-11106 coded 104806

dsc03113c.jpg

According to Leading Edge the stareboard wing is not painted in this last camo but in the older dark green schem !!

I was able to verify this surprising information with a photo in the book "modern combat aircraft 9 by Arthur Reed".

Up to this point in the assembly, I used the same techniques already described with my RF-104G.

I used the Gunze colors recommended by Hasegawa with a few variations for the weathering.

Now, my model is very shiny, cause of the Tamiya X-22 clear with X-20A thinner applied before the decals.

dsc03103p.jpg

dsc03096b.jpg

dsc03117r.jpg

if any remarks from you for any modifications or errors, my model is now waiting for "the real weathering job".

Then I'll take care of small details : navigation lights, antennae, wheels ...

dsc02846r.jpg

I'll be back soon ;)

Edited by faab104

Very nice rendition of a 1 CAG CF-104. Especially like the way you did the right wing. The story behind the wing is that it was a replacement from an aircraft that didn't receive the new three tone camo before donating it to 806.

Just a couple of things regarding the CF-104 and your build. The CF-104 didn't have the IR seeker bump at the base of the windscreen and the link and shell ejector chute was never installed on the CF-104. The ejector chute is the item just aft of the nose gear.

Cheers,

John

You're great John !

how could I have missed these important details... when I look at pictures for weeks !

No infra-red sight, No cartridge link ejector.

it will be an easy correction, many thanks for your fast response and your confirmation about the wing :thumbsup:

Hello Fabien,

Great CF-104 and thanks for posting more pics of your model. It's fascinating to see the variations in camouflage schemes, especially those with the odd piece of borrowed airframe.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Fabien

Very nice so far. For weathering, you may want to check references and decide what to do about the engine bleed air vents. They are the little grill on the upper fuselage, left side, just forward of the red turbine danger stripe. Most camouflaged CF-104s ended up with some lime green (primer) discolouration there, probably due to hot bleed air escaping and burning off the camo paint. I can't immediately find any reference pics, but if you can't find any, just ask and I'll see if I can digitize one for you (I have hard copies, but nothing on the computer).

ALF

Fabien

Very nice so far. For weathering, you may want to check references and decide what to do about the engine bleed air vents. They are the little grill on the upper fuselage, left side, just forward of the red turbine danger stripe. Most camouflaged CF-104s ended up with some lime green (primer) discolouration there, probably due to hot bleed air escaping and burning off the camo paint. I can't immediately find any reference pics, but if you can't find any, just ask and I'll see if I can digitize one for you (I have hard copies, but nothing on the computer).

ALF

Very nicely done Fabien and thanks for the little tidbit there regarding the vents ALF. Something to keep in mind for my build.

Mike

Thank you all for your opinion !

I have considered your comments, here are some modest photos (it is not easy to show you the nuances of painting)

dsc03145.jpg

I used Mr Hobby Color Flat Clear H20, then I worked with several greys very diluted.

"I don't know if my weathering is good enough for Air exit louvres ALF", I didnt find close-up photos.

Now you can see the ECM Blister of the CF-104 , Typical !

dsc03149l.jpg

dsc03154p.jpg

The weathering looks OK - it varied quite a bit, and some aircraft had no visible weathering there:

104773.jpg

Some were just like your model:

cf104d104636.jpg

canada6.jpg

cf104g104762.jpg

And some were more pronounced:

104756green2.jpg

cf104g751.jpg

Note the handsome guy on the far right - my father at a tiger meet

02.jpg

It really depended on how fresh the paint was.

Yours is beautiful!

ALF

Edited by ALF18

Like you showed ALF, the weathering on CF's in Europe allows many interpretations,

so, I stay on this way my friends ! or perhaps a few adjutments after a few days of reflections...

I'm glad you enjoy, thanks dragan , Eric, Holmes :woo:

And thank you ALF, to illustrate the topic, especially for the last photo,

I am very proud that you share a photo of your father in my topic.

Merci beaucoup.

What a lovely result, Fabien.

I've just received my copy of the Leading Edge decals, and am doubly inspired to start painting a kit that's been built for some time.....

Thanks for sharing your pics and looking forward to more of your German jet.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Faab,

Fantastic build really and fantastic photographs too.

As ever your mix of natural light, natural scenery and good photography technique on a very well built model make it look real.

By the way did you use masks for your painting. What did you use to make them and cut them. Do cut them on model or away on a flat surface. If you cut on model how do you avoid cutting through the plastic.

Sorry to ask so many thinks, but the quality of your model raises questions ;^D)

Cheers

Eric B.

Thanks you all for your comments :woo:

it makes me happy, you are great !

You are quite on the wright way Eric concerning my method for the camo schem :

1/ I apply on the dark grey the large Tamiya masking tape (18mm) on the area to delimitate (future green/grey),

2/ I draw on this tape the line of delimitation with a pen, observing pictures of the plane (I'm not so confident in the kit paint schem...),

3/ I withdraw the masking tape and put it on the glass on my desktop,

4/ I cut on the line I drew,

5/ I apply the new "cut" masking tape on my model

then I paint slowly with a airbrush with high dilution (about 20% paint + 80% alcohol) to prevent the green runs under the masking tape.

This method is valid for a delimiter rather clear like on this model.

For a fuzzy delimiter, after the same method, I work slowly with the airbrush on the delimitation.

This method requires a long preparation, but that is how I'm most comfortable.

I hope my English is quite understandable :yahoo: thank you Eric for having raised this point.

img0046uj.jpg

Thanks fanakit !

The Hasegawa exhaust is painted with Tamiya "titanium silver", then with Tamiya Black XF-1.

Then the black is polished so that the first coat of paint gives a strange effect.

This hasegawa exhaust ain't great ... ideally, it must be change for a resin one.

here is the real exhaust (second on the photo) :

0981360.jpg