So here it is ARCers... Lay it on me. I really only have one shot at this.

I am getting a model room - approx 10 by 14 feet of finished space. I figure I am going to put in laminate floor on top of dricore so that I don't have the carpet monster problem. I asked for plenty of lighting as well as plenty of outlets. The original basement had a dryer tube that I am going to extend into the model room so that I can have a paint booth...

But what am I missing or what would you guys do?

Thanks in advance!!

I am in the same boat. Of course mine is only 5x11, but I am just as lost. Spray booth is a must! Shelves for your paints and drawers or magnets for your easy to reach tools. Monior or TV. I am adding an internet connection so I can get my old WWII music from Live365.com...and of course my military channel stuff playing on a TV.

-Jim

Any way for a window? Nothing beats fresh air in addition to an exhaust.

No window in the plan - that would involve either an expensive cut into the foundation or to change the layout of the basement into a non-optimal layout. I am thinking of having some sort of a door with frosted windows so that I can get daylight into the room.

The space is great for the building, but probably not going to be big enough for storage of the stash. If you can put up shelving outside of that modeling room just to store the stash you'll be fine. And THEN...if you can wrangle it...a sink with running water is a luxury I will never do without again if I can help it. I have one now and it is wonderful to have for washing parts and wet sanding. Here's a photo of my sink/spray room...it's a small 5 X 7 room adjoining my modeling room which is 8 X 12. You can see the spray "Booth" to the right. It's actually just a 10" hole in the wall with ductwork to the outside and a furnace blower. This thing sucks air out like mad!

And go here if you wish to see photos of the shop itself..

http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/my-modeling-shop/

ModelShop017r-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The stash is not out of control - it all fits nicely into an Ikea closet unit. I like the idea of one side of the room being for work and the other side of the room being a nice display case bordered by low cabinets and book shelf uppers.... Very nice.

It sounds like you have the basics covered with the laminate floor and lots of light and power. Running water would be awesome but difficult unless the pipes run right past your work area.

I know some people who have magnetic whiteboards or tackboards to keep instructions and reference pictures pinned up. Other than that, lots of shelves for paint and all the other stuff we tend to accumulate.

What the effin hell is that Budda thing??

Awesome work room but man, that budda/sumo wrestlers could scare people! LOL

I think that statue is pretty cool.

And that room is awesome!

Stacey

Put a utility sink in if you can, I put mine next to the spray booth:

IMG_53371.jpg

I installed inexpensive kitchen counters with a 2x4 structure against the wall for workbenches:

IMG_53361.jpg

last of all, I pre-wired stereo speaker and made use of an old reciever and speakers.

Looks nothing like a model room which IS WHY I like it..

The SUMO looks COOL !!! :woo:

Yup....I must admit it is a classy room.........and I think it can inspire many people. It sure got me pondering new ideas for my room.

I must admit I miss the man-cave this week while I've been in Southern CA. On the bright side, I got too see this at ComicCon:

b299c353.jpg

I have one of those, got it on Ebay, cost $15,000.00 and won't cook or clean, stays in the plastic box all the time. But does not interfere with my model building.