What's on your workbench?

I'm working on a RAF Puma in the Gulf War thread, but I'm also working on this 1/144 Revell Germany AH-64D. I added ladder rungs instead of the kit's sold ones and various antennas and stuff. There is also some work inside the cockpit, but you can't see it at the moment. The kit comes with an open canopy for the gunner, so you will see it when the kit is done. I still have to add the antennas and structure that Cobrahistorian told me about. The white parts look a little off because of black overspray from painting the engine exhausts and rotor internal area.

apache1body.jpg

Here is the gun. I still need to figure out something that looks like the ammo feed belt in 1/144 scale. Any ideas?

apache2gun.jpg

I'm working on a RAF Puma in the Gulf War thread, but I'm also working on this 1/144 Revell Germany AH-64D. I added ladder rungs instead of the kit's sold ones and various antennas and stuff. There is also some work inside the cockpit, but you can't see it at the moment. The kit comes with an open canopy for the gunner, so you will see it when the kit is done. I still have to add the antennas and structure that Cobrahistorian told me about. The white parts look a little off because of black overspray from painting the engine exhausts and rotor internal area.

apache1body.jpg

Here is the gun. I still need to figure out something that looks like the ammo feed belt in 1/144 scale. Any ideas?

apache2gun.jpg

DUDE!!! I would LOVE to see MORE of your 1/144 scale AH-64D!!! Also for something that looks like an ammo feed belt try a photoetched 1/72 GPMG ammo belt. I've got a couple if you're wanting one...

MattP

Edited by MattP
I think the 1/144-kits from revell are really good kits.

I totally agree. Just in terms of helicopters, the Puma is probably the kit that kicked off this decade's 1/144 rebirth, the Ka-50 is fantastic, and the AH-64D may be the best 1/144 kit of any type I've worked on. I didn't get the CH-53G or the Chinook, but those seem the equal to the other kits. The only disappointment is the NH90, which was based on pre-pre-production designs would just take too much work to turn into a production model. I hope they design more, or at least re-release the Chinook so I can get one.

I totally agree. Just in terms of helicopters, the Puma is probably the kit that kicked off this decade's 1/144 rebirth, the Ka-50 is fantastic, and the AH-64D may be the best 1/144 kit of any type I've worked on. I didn't get the CH-53G or the Chinook, but those seem the equal to the other kits. The only disappointment is the NH90, which was based on pre-pre-production designs would just take too much work to turn into a production model. I hope they design more, or at least re-release the Chinook so I can get one.

Chinook AND CH-53 are great kits too - they fit very good and are real fun to build!

http://www.scale-rotors.com/gallery/cargo-...-chinook-revell

http://www.scale-rotors.com/gallery/cargo-...ch-53g-revell-0

144th Revell CH-53 G

I screwed up one of the rotors trying to bend it to give it that realistic look since they were dead flat and some actually bent away from the ground. Sneezed and got it too close to the flame so it warped it instantly. Decided to cut all the blades off then and refasten them in a swept back position. I'm not going for realism or anything just trying to hide my mistake.

pita!

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

More soon as I'm working on it right now.

Edit:: Couple more pics as the rotors are done and test fitted.

I agree with what's been said above that this is probably the nicest 144th kit I've ever done. The detail is superb. I probably am wishing I had spent more time on it now.

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Edited by Bigasshammm

Sad to hear what happened but here's a trick for that problem: I use hot water! You take a mug with really hot water and then dip the rotorblade into the hot water until it gets soft enough to bend it. Don't dip it in the water too long! When you're finished cool it down by dipping it into a glass of cold water. Try it - it works!

Sad to hear what happened but here's a trick for that problem: I use hot water! You take a mug with really hot water and then dip the rotorblade into the hot water until it gets soft enough to bend it. Don't dip it in the water too long! When you're finished cool it down by dipping it into a glass of cold water. Try it - it works!

I'll have to do that because now that I have them bent back and all the back two are sticking up too high and need adjusted. I haven't done but maybe 3 helicopters in my entire life and this was just a model that happened to be in the bin to build.

I'm not working on any helicopters right now....

Been building a bunch though! I've got two P-47s, an F-6B and two Spitfires on my workbench at present. They will all go along with uniforms in my collection.

One of my next projects, after I get back to the Guns A Go Go project (which is making slow but steady progress) will be a Hasegawa 1:48th AH-64A using the Twobobs Iron City Apaches sheet. One of the birds on there, 89-0256 was flown in Afghanistan by C/1-229th ATKHB and it came to our unit after that. My buddy flew her in combat and I've flown and shot her on several occasions in PA. Through a series of odd connections, I just ended up getting my buddy's ABDU shirt, so the model of 256 will be displayed along with his and my ABDU shirts.

Thought I'd toss this one out there though. AH-64D 09-5603, the third Block 2E AH-64D. That's 5600 in the background. These birds still have that new helicopter smell!

InstrumentEval27oct10009.jpg

InstrumentEval27oct10010.jpg

That's a nice and clean looking Apache. Cool to see the latest version. At quick glance, it looks like it has the Disco Light deleted, one of those small sat-com antennas on the spine and a few other lumps and bumps.

Yep. Disco is dead. There are a lot of new additions, mostly in the cockpit.

Here is my latest in progress. Werner's Wings/Monogram AH-1F with Werner's Wings TOWs, 19-shot rocket pods, Update set and eventually the decals. I hope to start decalling shortly. This will be very dirty and dusty when done. The interior has PE and scratchbuilt details. Note I did open the canopy for both seats. We'll see how that works out. Still haven't figured out how to display it. I need some 1/48th scale figures for it. Anyone have the Verlinden ones? I may even add a Tamiya Humvee to the display. Still time to work that out. Hope you enjoy.

Floyd

IMG_5385.jpg

Here is the effect I'm going for. This is Vonnie ready to deploy back to the port. She got really dirty considering when I first flew her she looked brand new. Six months in the desert will dirty up a helicopter pretty bad.

Vonniedaysafterceasefirebeforedeploymentbacktoporta.jpg

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gotten to the painting stage of the Revell 1/144 AH-64D.

The remodeled rotor hub.

ah64d3rotorhub.jpg

The forward fuselage with all the new antennas and bits showing.

ah64d4forward.jpg

I can now see some gaps around the ladder rungs that were impossible to see when it was just black plastic. But I don't want to putty it and repaint it because I hate painting with enamel paints in the apartment and that's the only helicopter drab paint I have. Anyone ever try mixing paint and putty? I sense a new experiment coming.