Academy 1/72 F-22 Raptor

The Raptor is like the new F-15 (I mean in the modeling industry). Every company's gotta have one, I guess. Hasegawa followed up Academy's in 48th scale. And since both have issues, depending on whom you talk to, I wouldn't be surprised to see another in 48th scale--maybe not right now, but in the future. The Revell offering in 72nd was already pretty good, and now we'll have on from Academy, Dragon, and Hasegawa, right? And I'd love to see a 32nd scale kit from Tamiya. Italeri has got something but I hear it's pretty bad, and I tend to stay away from Italeri.

BTW, looks to my untrained eye like Academy might have fixed the issue with the height of the diagonal tails (they're not VERTICAL tails, right?).

Oh yes...Academy used to be the "poor man's model"....now, they're starting to keep up with Hasegawa and Revell (not to mention they still retain their relatively low prices)! I also saw their limited edition Mig-29...AWESOME! I've built the old version of this kit, it wasn't much before (it had 90's tooling, what would you expect?), but now it looks as if they've revived it to the brink of challenging other kits of the same scale (like what they did with their F-15E) .

Oh yes...Academy used to be the "poor man's model"....now, they're starting to keep up with Hasegawa and Revell (not to mention they still retain their relatively low prices)! I also saw their limited edition Mig-29...AWESOME! I've built the old version of this kit, it wasn't much before (it had 90's tooling, what would you expect?), but now it looks as if they've revived it to the brink of challenging other kits of the same scale (like what they did with their F-15E) .

Jason,

I haven't seen this MiG issue that you are talking about. Could you post a image of the box art so we can see which you are talking about?

Thanks,

John

The Raptor is like the new F-15 (I mean in the modeling industry). Every company's gotta have one, I guess. Hasegawa followed up Academy's in 48th scale. And since both have issues, depending on whom you talk to, I wouldn't be surprised to see another in 48th scale--maybe not right now, but in the future. The Revell offering in 72nd was already pretty good, and now we'll have on from Academy, Dragon, and Hasegawa, right? And I'd love to see a 32nd scale kit from Tamiya. Italeri has got something but I hear it's pretty bad, and I tend to stay away from Italeri.

BTW, looks to my untrained eye like Academy might have fixed the issue with the height of the diagonal tails (they're not VERTICAL tails, right?).

Don't forget that Fujimi has a really awesome 72nd scale F-22 out.

- Matt

Nice looking model.

I just wish the Air Force would find a reason to paint the airplane in a different scheme. The only variation we've seen is that 192nd Raptor with the blue nose (available in 1/72 from Wolfpack).

Edited by thegoodsgt
looks like it will need a new ACES II seat though, I think I remember seeing one in 1/72

AFAIK, there is no accurate aftermarket seat for the F-22 in 1/72 scale, because they do not include the drogue chute housing and arm restrant covers that are unique to the F-22.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

I wouldn't go that far. The "corrected" shape on the F-15E has problems, and the 32nd scale Viper has real problems. The 72nd scale Hornet is nice, and IMHO the best of the small Hornet bunch, but those shallow wheel wells and a few other areas still cause some concern. I'd actually still have 10 or more of those in the stash if it wasn't for the molded-up flaps. (The flaps are down on landing, take-off, static display, and taxiing--except checking the control surfaces, I imagine--the way 90% of modelers build models. The Wolfpack set has real warping issues, and this is not easy to correct since the wing is suppose to have a different kind of warping to it. I've sliced and diced those wings, so I know it can be done, but like no other aircraft, those things should be molded down or give you the option to glue them dropped. I'll shut up, now.) It's still better, in most respects, than the other comparable Hornet kits, sure. But while they were designing a kit that would beat Hasegawa's 72nd scale offering, how 'bout thinking about the Hasegawa 48th scale Hornet, too, and scaling down details like flaps and positionable rudders. The 48th scale Raptor was more of an improvement over the Italeri kit than it was the definitive Raptor. The nose was one thing, but the miscalculation on the height of the "vertical" tails is MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH. I've always wanted to see Academy as the great hope--their kits show proof that they could conceivable make a really, really nice kit, but they just falter on what seem to be obvious mistakes. It's like if you just had a guy paint your whole house inside, and the first three rooms are perfect, and the last one looks like he had his four year old paint it. You're thinking, dang, if you could do the rest of it that nice, then what's up with this room? Also, the prices have been nice for a lot of kits--and the availability of them at significant discount, even for brand new kits, is great. In fact, the way to get them as soon as they're released in Korea is also the cheapest way--ebay.

Now back to that Mig-29. I assumed it was still the old molds with some extra details thrown in or the molds slightly re-worked, a la the strike eagle kit. Is it a new mold kit?

AFAIK, there is no accurate aftermarket seat for the F-22 in 1/72 scale, because they do not include the drogue chute housing and arm restrant covers that are unique to the F-22.

Regards,

Murph

Murph, that's good to know. I hadn't seen many pictures of the tub of a raptor. So is that seat still considered and ACESII?

Murph, that's good to know. I hadn't seen many pictures of the tub of a raptor. So is that seat still considered and ACESII?

Yes, it's still considered an ACES II Click here. The stowed arm restraints aren't very visible, but the extra drogue chute container on the back of the headrest is.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
I wouldn't go that far. The "corrected" shape on the F-15E has problems, and the 32nd scale Viper has real problems. The 72nd scale Hornet is nice, and IMHO the best of the small Hornet bunch, but those shallow wheel wells and a few other areas still cause some concern. I'd actually still have 10 or more of those in the stash if it wasn't for the molded-up flaps. (The flaps are down on landing, take-off, static display, and taxiing--except checking the control surfaces, I imagine--the way 90% of modelers build models. The Wolfpack set has real warping issues, and this is not easy to correct since the wing is suppose to have a different kind of warping to it. I've sliced and diced those wings, so I know it can be done, but like no other aircraft, those things should be molded down or give you the option to glue them dropped. I'll shut up, now.) It's still better, in most respects, than the other comparable Hornet kits, sure. But while they were designing a kit that would beat Hasegawa's 72nd scale offering, how 'bout thinking about the Hasegawa 48th scale Hornet, too, and scaling down details like flaps and positionable rudders. The 48th scale Raptor was more of an improvement over the Italeri kit than it was the definitive Raptor. The nose was one thing, but the miscalculation on the height of the "vertical" tails is MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH. I've always wanted to see Academy as the great hope--their kits show proof that they could conceivable make a really, really nice kit, but they just falter on what seem to be obvious mistakes. It's like if you just had a guy paint your whole house inside, and the first three rooms are perfect, and the last one looks like he had his four year old paint it. You're thinking, dang, if you could do the rest of it that nice, then what's up with this room? Also, the prices have been nice for a lot of kits--and the availability of them at significant discount, even for brand new kits, is great. In fact, the way to get them as soon as they're released in Korea is also the cheapest way--ebay.

Now back to that Mig-29. I assumed it was still the old molds with some extra details thrown in or the molds slightly re-worked, a la the strike eagle kit. Is it a new mold kit?

dedalus - I don't want to threadjack here since it's a very minor point, but I wanted to put your mind at ease about the tails that stick up in the air on the F-22. They are, in fact, officially known as vertical tails. I know, they're canted outboard and all, but they're still verticals.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

dedalus - I don't want to threadjack here since it's a very minor point, but I wanted to put your mind at ease about the tails that stick up in the air on the F-22. They are, in fact, officially known as vertical tails. I know, they're canted outboard and all, but they're still verticals.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Officially? Vertical tails? Isn't that just slang? Wouldn't they officially be vertical stabilizers? How would one refer to the rudderators on a Beechcraft Bonanza? And I just like the sound of diagonal tails.

Now, if that Mig 29 is the old mold, what makes it so good? I've not built one, mostly because I've heard it has problems and that we really need another, new-mold deal.

Edited by dedalus
Now, if that Mig 29 is the old mold, what makes it so good?

Because it is the only (yes, only) model that is close to the real thing in that scale? It is not perfect, but with either some putty or resin, you can get rather accurate model out of it. The pannelines are recessed, and with a good dose of patience, it gets ok together.

Sorry for the slight hijack here, but I'm still a little confused on the nose issues with the Academy kit. I've been told that Hasegawa like is right and Academy is wrong, yet the Hasegawa lower fuselage fits with the Academy upper fuselage perfectly, and the reverse is true as well. I've seen this with my own eyes, so can someone please explain the issue?

Sorry for the slight hijack here, but I'm still a little confused on the nose issues with the Academy kit. I've been told that Hasegawa like is right and Academy is wrong, yet the Hasegawa lower fuselage fits with the Academy upper fuselage perfectly, and the reverse is true as well. I've seen this with my own eyes, so can someone please explain the issue?

The Academy nose is too blunt. Your experiment would indicate the nose is long enough, but if you compare them side to side, you'll see it's not pointy enough. And comparison to real photos show it's the Academy kit that is wrong and not the Hase kit. BTW, if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother you.

Compare the kit nose to the real nose.

Now, from what I understand, Academy did retool the nose in the later batches of the kit. Maybe that is the kit you have.

Mark

Now, from what I understand, Academy did retool the nose in the later batches of the kit. Maybe that is the kit you have.

Mark

Wow. I had no idea that Academy have done any improvements to the moulds of their 1/48 Raptor.

Do you have any more information (photos?) about the retooling of the nose and/or any other changes?

Thanks,

Michal

This is a model built with Academy's retooled Raptor with some photo etched parts on it. I have no idea whether they have made another changes on the kit's tooling but the vertical tails still look undersized.

Wow. I had no idea that Academy have done any improvements to the moulds of their 1/48 Raptor.

Do you have any more information (photos?) about the retooling of the nose and/or any other changes?

Thanks,

Michal

Edited by not2p