My 1/48th Yak-38 from Hobby Boss was delivered today (18.95€ those interested). I'm very eager to start it, but haven't brought much stuff with me to Germany to build it (no paints, no airbrush yet).

If you want to check the manual, you can do it here: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10146253

Has anyone started building it? Any hints?

TIA,

Ricardo

ordered mine at lucky models, should get it in a week...

but i certainly won't build it right away... as i'm already (still) involved in too many models at the same...

tough, can't wait to put my hands on...

There's not much online about it, at least when it comes to something about accuracy. I'm not an expert on the matter, so I can't tell you if it has canopy shape problems, or if the tail is too short / tall, for example. It does look like a Forger to me and I'm sure it'll look good when built. This is one of those subjects I wasn't expecting to see in any scale, but here it is. I'm happy that there is one :)

Check this link from IPMS Philippines

Ricardo

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine today ! (great postage from Luck model - BTW)

lots of nice Rivits, poseable jet nozzels and Wing folds. All lift-fan faces are there (upper and lower pairs), and the lift fan door has optional open louvers (-nice!). Detailed wheel wells and a nice K-36 ejection seat !

Three colour schemes that are nice and different.

weapons - Two Aphid AAM's, two pairs of rocket pods, and two gun packs.

Very nice little kit !

(hoping my naming is right)

Wing folds.

Wow really? I remember the resin test model had that, and it seemed that the plastic model didn't have it, so i was a bit disappointed at that. How is detail in that area?

Wow really? I remember the resin test model had that, and it seemed that the plastic model didn't have it, so i was a bit disappointed at that. How is detail in that area?

Don't expect too much. There is one part for the inside with not too much detail. You have to cut the wings. But I think, it's a nice touch and I'll do it.

At least it requires studying some references as the instruction does not show the wings folded.

• 1 month later...

Yummy! I've read, however, that the Yak-38M has larger intakes (not available in the kit).

Waiting to see whether the two seater will have the fuselage plugs. To my untrained eye it's obvious that there's a big difference at the rear, but I can't put my finger on it.

To my untrained eye it's obvious that there's a big difference at the rear, but I can't put my finger on it.

You are right. I can imagine that it was not clear to HB during construction of the kit and they originally want to change only the front part, what is obviously wrong.

My Yak is nearly finished, so the pit is too late for me. (Seat is a must to replace, headrest is far to small. I took the K-36 from Trumpy's Su-24) It's a nice subject, but all in all I'm disappointed. Fit is really poor, requires a lot of filling and sanding. Wingfold was a nightmare, instructions sometimes wrong and sometimes confusing...

I've posted these before .... but here goes....

Unfortunately, these show the errors in Amodels 1/72nd Yak-38U which has the exact same aft fuselage as their singleseat kit...

Cheers,

Andre

Wow Yak-38 in 1/48 scale. That is just awesome.

Richardo , are you planning to build the regular navy blue scheme or the afghanistan war camo? I think second will be cool.

I built the Yak-38U 2 years ago. It was a 1/72 Amodel kit. Kit was so-so....and then at that time i was more supider than I am now when it comes to modelling.

092708003.jpg

092708002.jpg

Regards

I finished mine a month or so ago. The fit is generally good, although filler was needed around the intakes and the belly seam. I was pleasantly surprised by the detail in the cockpit. The only negative to an enjoyable build was the wing fold. The parts are provided and the computer generated drawing provided with the kit show it with folded wings, but there is no mention of it in the instructions. I was able to make it work, but not without a lot of effort.

Now if they would just put out a 1/48 MiG-23.

I finished mine a month or so ago. The fit is generally good, although filler was needed around the intakes and the belly seam. I was pleasantly surprised by the detail in the cockpit. The only negative to an enjoyable build was the wing fold. The parts are provided and the computer generated drawing provided with the kit show it with folded wings, but there is no mention of it in the instructions. I was able to make it work, but not without a lot of effort.

Now if they would just put out a 1/48 MiG-23.

Could you post some pictures of it? Would be interesting to see.