Wierd Items In Modeling

I've got a number of cat whiskers incorporated into models. They're a good choice sometimes, they're tapered and strong and flexible. I just need to find a way to straighten them and they would be even more useful. Maybe home perm solution???

For tools, I just finished an F-4S in Heater-Ferris camo. I used a laser level to lay out the demarcations in the paint scheme.

Knicker elastic is good for generic 'plumbing' in wheel bays, etc. It is flexible and easy to fix with a dab of cyano (plastic cement will melt it good). The variety that is wound with thin black thread resembles ribbed piping quite nicely in 1/72-1/48; it gets a bit 'hairy' looking if it's too old though!

I use cosmetic items such as make-up sponges, nail polish, nail polish remover, nail files etc.

Yup, makeup sponges make good masks for intakes. Eyeshadow applicators are good for applying weathering pigments. And in the nail art supply section, if you can find an angled striping brush they are quite useful as well. I find it easier to apply stripes (like the yellow stripes on bombs) with one. Like this brush.

Lost something nano-size to the Carpet Monster? Ask her (first!) for something in fine denier, stretch it over the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner & hit the PLAY button...

That is a great idea. Hmm, now where does she keep the nylons?

I use the wrappers from Ferrero Rocher chocolates all the time for scratchbuilding for things that need a bit of fabric texture. I use pop and beer cans for aluminum and plastic bottle caps for mixing small amounts of paint. Being a woman, I don't find using hair, nylons, and cosmetic applicators all that strange :thumbsup: .

Off topic fun fact: you can use also use stockings (or the leg of some pantyhose) to replace the fan belt in your car in a pinch (my grandmother did this in her old Austin Mini when her and Pop got stuck once :P).

I use the wrappers from Ferrero Rocher chocolates all the time for scratchbuilding for things that need a bit of fabric texture.

Oh darn, now I have to go and buy some chocolates.

You have to do what you have to do. :whistle:

Q-tips for airbrush cleaning are a common tool in my stash. As for the weirdest thing, back in 2003 when I was working on a 1/144 shuttle model, I got a piece of door screen to spray paint through to try and represent a tile texture. It was recommended by the old first edition printing of Kalmbach's "Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy" from the late 1970s (pre-FSM days). It worked pretty well, but two weeks later the Cutting Edge tile decal sheets came out and I ended up using those instead. I still keep some of that screen around though for use in future projects where I might need a square pattern of some kind.

Bread bag clips. They glue well using regular polystyrene cement, they take paint well, they are easily cut, they can be scribed, they're flexible enough to take a little bending, and they're free!

clips2.jpg

And if you want to get creative you can make crude seats out of them by cutting n the right place, I still haven't figured out the approximate scale but since I only build what ifs I don't really worry.

wimsyseat.jpg