That is awesome. I guess that Eduard is now officially "a day late and a dollar short" If it is even close to accurate I am getting one. There is no excuse for "Them" to have gotten it wrong, there is plenty of them over there to measure.

Fingers firmly crossed! And pray it's not covered with pockmark rivets. If they do it right, it'll be a major boon. I don't get the impression that Eduard were all that keen on doing it anyway. This will leave the 2nd generation birds to them, as I don't see Trumpeter doing them, since China never flew them.

A friend of mine who invited to the factory said that the whole variants of 1/48 Fishbed will be released. The mould-masters are all ready... :cheers:

Like I said before, Eduard can stop working on their MiGs now. There is no way they will be able to compete with Trumpeter. Or for that matter beat them to the punch.

Like I said before, Eduard can stop working on their MiGs now. There is no way they will be able to compete with Trumpeter. Or for that matter beat them to the punch.

Why would you say that? Not only have Trumpeter not "beat them to the punch", the Eduard MiG-21 is arguably one of he nicest 1/48 jet kits ever done - and it's been on the market for over a year already.

Given Trumpeter's track record to date, if I were Eduard I most certainly wouldn't be stopping work. It'll be nice if Trumpeter's kit(s) are really nice, but until I see them in the flesh, I'm certainly not about to pronounce them the be all and end all. If they (like many Trumpeter kits) need $100 worth of resin to fix their faults... Well...

Why would you say that? Not only have Trumpeter not "beat them to the punch", the Eduard MiG-21 is arguably one of he nicest 1/48 jet kits ever done - and it's been on the market for over a year already.

Given Trumpeter's track record to date, if I were Eduard I most certainly wouldn't be stopping work. It'll be nice if Trumpeter's kit(s) are really nice, but until I see them in the flesh, I'm certainly not about to pronounce them the be all and end all. If they (like many Trumpeter kits) need $100 worth of resin to fix their faults... Well...

If they shrink down their 1/32 kit than it will be pretty good. Don't get me wrong, Eduard makes nice kits in general. I have their 21MF kit but they did not schedule the F untiil a long time from now. Trumpeter has had a bad track record with their prop airplanes but has done a good job with their jets.

I have yet to see any Trumpy kit released without significant issues. Despite some minor (actually very minor) issues w/ their -21 series, Eduard is in a completely different league than Trumpeter. Hopefully, they will still release the first gen MiG-21's.

Trumpeter has had a bad track record with their prop airplanes but has done a good job with their jets.

That's not what anyone I've ever spoken to who built Trumpeter's 1/32 Harrier or Flanker kits has said.

Very good news ! Nothing can be worst than the AA kits with their non-1st gen intake. I hope that Trumpeter will do late F-7s: the Namibian birds are very nice for example. I also hope that Trumpeter will release a 1/72 MiG-21F-13 (I didn't have a thorough look but I wonder if the Revell kit doesn't fall in "gorgeous kit, so-so model of the real thing") and J/F-7s.

Eduard 1st gen MiG: AFAIK Eduard said that 1st gen Fishbed wasn't on their to-do list since they expected something from Trumpeter. Given the fact that high accuracy isn't very important to Eduard specially if it impacts tooling costs, they probably won't do a 1st gen MiG at all. I doubt they'll do a PF/FL too: new fuselage halves and wings sprues required. I expect them to release a huge amount of AM for the Trumpeter kits however.

Trumpeter's 1/32 MF: I don't remember reading a review discussing its accuracy but it doesn't look great at all to me (nose profile and canopy shape... they probably used the +4 drawings for reference).

Edited by Laurent

Trumpeter is a cool producer for me because of the subjects they choose. Also, they are the most active producer right now. There isn't anyone else coming even close.

I agree that they have some accuracy issues with many of their models but still without them who else would have produced a 1/48 su-24 or mig-23? I have been waiting for their new 1/48 flanker, too. Stopped buying academy flankers in anticipation of that.

They are my second favorite producer after Hasegawa.

Edited by foxmulder_ms

I agree Trumpeter for all the flak they cop and the errors they make are still the go to manufacturer of the 2000's.

Don't get me wrong I love my Tamiya Mustang and Mk8 Spit but it will be a cold day in hell till Tamiya do a 32nd Mig-23 or Su-25 to top the Trumpeter ones.

Glad we will get an early Mig-21 and if the 32nd ones are anything to go by they will be good.

This is great news. Can't say I'm surprised, and frankly, wonder why we haven't seen it sooner, as they've been scaling down other 1/32 offerings through Hobby Boss for quite some time.

The 1/32 MiG-21F-13 is quite nice, and a decent starting point for a first gen MiG-21, so I would expect this to be a shrunken copy of that kit. Not perfect, but certainly the best 1/48 MiG-21F offering by several orders of magnitude.

It will fill the gap (and it's a BIG one) in the 1/48 MiG line-up.

That said, if Eduard were to do their own 1/48 MiG-21F, I'd drop the Trumpeter kit like a hot rock. I have little doubt that Eduard's offering would be superior in every regard, and there would be a raft of aftermarket purpose made for that kit. It might take them 4-5 years to get there, but in the interim, I've got plenty to work on (not the least of which would be a hoard of 3rd and 4th gen MiG-21 projects out of the Eduard kit).

Of course, there are several things about the MiG-23 revealed in the same post that are quite disappointing, but I'll save that for the MiG-23 thread.

I have yet to see any Trumpy kit released without significant issues. Despite some minor (actually very minor) issues w/ their -21 series, Eduard is in a completely different league than Trumpeter. Hopefully, they will still release the first gen MiG-21's.

This is a genuine request, because I care about these kind of things: are you able to shed any light on inaccuracies with Trumpy's 1/48 MiG-15UTI, J-8B, J-10 series and FC-1/JF-17. I am generally familiar with errors in many Trumpeter kits but not with these, so always looking to expand my knowledge base.

Thanks

Jon

The 1/48 MiG-15s (other than being fiddly to assemble) are actually some of Trumpeter's better efforts. More accurate than Tamiya's. I can't say anything about the rest of those you mentioned.

I think what I see in the sprues below is the provision of a separate windshield & canopy as used in later Chinese J-7/F-7 variants. I am not sure if they will include it in the first release (test shots usually have all sprue gates open; but it doesn't mean that the first release will have that part of the sprue); but I hope they do. Given how large their domestic market is, they might even release the cranked-wing F-7PG/MG like they did in 1/32.

Trumpeter_48_MiG-21F-13_09.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Hi Migfans,

I can only repeat what has been said on another page:

It is a question of quality and design! If the Trump kit is like so many other kits of Russian subjects that they have done in the past then the accuracy and very fine detail on the Edu kit can win over it. I would say the Trump will be a mass produced cheap and not so accurate and the Edu a high end of the market with authentic details (well we dont want to speak about noses, do we? :D ), well almost 99% authentic.

As 11BEE said "Eduard is in a completely different league"!

Just as with other subjects there is no general rule on the kit market that only one kit can be present / developed / manufactured at any time. The Trump kit has all the parts to make it into a replica of the Russian made MiG-21 F-13, the Chinese built copy and also the later modified Chinese version too. If you have too many versions in one kit you have to make compromises which will effect one or most of the proposed versions! The Trump will be based on the Chinese version, that is what they have there to go out and measure (if they do that at all). I think the Edu kit will be more in line with the Czech produced MiG-21F-13 which was different from the standard Russian made F-13. ((We only had Russian produced F-13's but even there you had several noticeable differences between production batch's.)) So the market is very wide and I don't think there is a sense in backing out only because someone else is producing something similar.

If I remember right the PF and the PFM was the next proposed version by Edu and not the F-13.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I'm wondering if the incoming MiG-21 F-13 and J/F-7s kits will be based on the same references used in their 1/32 kits. If so, what's their accuracy level ? I only own the MF and I wasn't impressed.

Edited by Laurent

Given how large their domestic market is...

???

On another note, although I posed this question elsewhere, does anyone know accurate their J-8 series is? I imagine that would be a good guideline of the kind of stuff they can produce when local examples are available to examine. Come to think of it, the same could be said of the MiG-17 and MiG-19 series, and they weren't perfect :(

On another note, although I posed this question elsewhere, does anyone know accurate their J-8 series is?

I think that Deino studied the 1/72 kit when it was released. Try using the search function.

Let's see what is inside the box as soon as possible! And make judgement after that. Everything else is just theoretical, prediction, speculation . . .

Let's hope that good things happen and a nice kit will be in the F-13 box, so after that the only thing missing will be the PF/PFM and the twoseater line of kits in 48th from the Fishbed family.

Until then there is still some MF and bis to be constructed, hope to have some update on that soon.

Best regards

Gabor