News Release Issued: June 25, 2012 3:00 PM EDT

Boeing Completes Wind Tunnel Tests on Silent Eagle Conformal Weapons Bay

–– F-15 Program test milestone validates CWB design

–– Fighter jet development proceeding on schedule

ST. LOUIS, June 25, 2012 –– Boeing recently completed wind tunnel tests on the Silent Eagle Conformal Weapons Bay (CWB). The tests, conducted at the company's St. Louis facility, validated the aerodynamics of the CWB design.

CWBs are integral to the adaptable configuration and balanced survivability of the Silent Eagle.

"Boeing and its partners have advanced to the next phase in the development of the Silent Eagle, an evolved derivative of the combat-proven F-15 family of aircraft," said Roger Besancenez, F-15 Program vice president for Boeing.

"We are now testing production-representative hardware as we continue to validate our affordable and low-risk design."

Boeing is partnering with Korea Aerospace Industries to design, develop, and manufacture the CWB. The Silent Eagle is Boeing's offer in the F-X competition for the Republic of Korea's multirole fighter aircraft.

The wind tunnel tests used a scale model of the Silent Eagle to determine the effect of various airspeeds and flight angles. The tests assessed enhancements made to the initial CWB design and confirmed the team's modeling analysis.

More detailed tests later this year will focus on the aerodynamic effects of multiple weapons loads, as well as opening and closing the upper and lower CWB doors.

Boeing this year also completed the final phase of Radar Cross Section (RCS) reduction tests to validate the aircraft's production configuration.

The Silent Eagle is designed with advanced technologies that provide an unprecedented balance of survivability and lethality to meet warfighters'

needs in all phases of air combat. The CWBs can be reconfigured to Conformal Fuel Tanks (CFTs) to optimize the aircraft for longer ranges and increased weapons loading, making the Silent Eagle a flexible platform with unmatched range, speed, payload, and persistence. The reconfigurable CWB-CFT concept is unique in the fighter aircraft world and contributes to the overall RCS reduction package while the aircraft maintains both air-to-air and air-to-surface capabilities.

The Silent Eagle also features enhanced avionics such as an integrated Active Electronically Scanned Array radar and Digital Electronic Warfare Suite that provide the aircrew with increased lethality and exceptional situational awareness.

A unit of The Boeing Company, Boeing Defense, Space & Security is one of the world's largest defense, space, and security businesses specializing in innovative and capabilities-driven customer solutions and the world's largest and most versatile manufacturer of military aircraft. Headquartered in St. Louis, Boeing Defense, Space & Security is a $32 billion business with 61,000 employees worldwide.

Interesting.

Though I have to say, that word "warfighters" is pretty ridiculous...

It's a bogus term cooked up by defense companies. As in: "Our warfighters deserve the best, give us $50 billion so we can provide them with ____"

Soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines have become "warfighters" and "warriors". Makes me want to puke. Makes the U.S. sound like Sparta or the Roman Empire. And look what happened to both of them when they started to glorify and deify their militaries.

Soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines have become "warfighters" and "warriors". Makes me want to puke. Makes the U.S. sound like Sparta or the Roman Empire. And look what happened to both of them when they started to glorify and deify their militaries.

That's an oversimplification. the issues that lead to their demise were far more than how they viewed the sacrifices of their military.

Eric

Agree with you 100% J, its that whole glorification of war business which I detest. Your analogy to Sparta is particularly apropos, given the apparent vogue for glorifying in combat as an end in itself.

Reminds me of football teams bigging each other up, or the sort of trash talking that boxers do before a fight.

No thanks.

Sparta and Rome Didn't have SEs!

America! F--K Yeah!

Hmmm... I find it funny (ironic perhaps). People who build models of war machines condeming the "glorification" of the brave men who use them. Not judging mind you, just find it humorous. (ok, maybe I am, but it's all in good fun)

Bill

People who build models of war machines condeming the "glorification" of the brave men who use them

Yeah its awful isn't it, that someone with a fascination for aviation would want to build a model of a historical machine.

Does the fact that I don't agree with the whole "war is great, yeah, kick ***" attitude mean I am barred from being interested in military hardware?

By that rationale, does me putting a swastika on the tail of a scale luftwaffe model make me a nazi??

One day at a mall will convince you quickly that America is anything but Sparta. :rolleyes:

I heard "21st Century Sailor" yesterday. Are the squids in spaceships now? Or is it the same rusty tin cans they were on in 1999?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Yeah its awful isn't it, that someone with a fascination for aviation would want to build a model of a historical machine.

Does the fact that I don't agree with the whole "war is great, yeah, kick ***" attitude mean I am barred from being interested in military hardware?

By that rationale, does me putting a swastika on the tail of a scale luftwaffe model make me a nazi??

Historical machine? HA!

I want to build something that just blows s#!t up!

:woot.gif:

My 2cents.

Obviously Boeing is using F-15SE as an airframe to not just offer/sell to say S. Korea but in developing it to maybe show as an alternative to countries who are growing worried about the fate, future and even ultimate quality of F-35 and to nations who want what will still be a formidable airframe that is based on tried and true airframe and if things go right for Boeing will be a less costly modern multi-role combat plane.

IMO, ultimate physical stealth design will and in many ways is already compromised. Technology can and will defeat much if what physical stealthiness brings. But having stealthy abilities can't hurt as long as such does not compromise aircraft performance and not greatly elevate costs. ECM is the real future and even saviour of manned combat planes. But I'm just giving my 2 cents so don't bite my head off folks.

If F-35 in the end turns out ok and still remains within budgets of partner nations, well F-15SE won't see much of a market. If F-35 continues to look as a diminishing quality and with bloating price, I see nations looking for quality, based on tried and true designs and yet fully capable alternatives and F-15SE as well as Boeing's ideas on next gen. updated F-18 Super Hornet to find markets.

Reminds me of football teams bigging each other up, or the sort of trash talking that boxers do before a fight.

No thanks.

There's a reson for that stuff ya know. If you've ever punched someone in a fight, did you do it with a polite smile on your face?

There's a reson for that stuff ya know. If you've ever punched someone in a fight, did you do it with a polite smile on your face?

I tend to only ever get into a fight when I have no other choice, and I don't particularly enjoy the experience. Nor do I revell in the fact, should I best my opponent.

Boxers, yep, I understand, its a sport, I get that. Life and death? Needs must I fully understand, doesn't make it a cause for celebration in my book.

Sorry if that offends

Agree with you 100% J, its that whole glorification of war business which I detest. Your analogy to Sparta is particularly apropos, given the apparent vogue for glorifying in combat as an end in itself.

No thanks.

Eh, I think there's a *big* difference between this and, say, the All Blacks doing their haka before a rugby match.

Though when it comes down to it, I think this is just another "adman's word", a way of saying something to sound impressive, a soldier is just a soldier, but "warfighter" has a ring to it.

If there was one thing Orwell was right about, it's the (mis)use of language.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that the actual job of a soldier is traffic control, nevermind all of that shooting at human sized target stuff, I just like the sould that it makes when I pull the trigger.......

Eh, I think there's a *big* difference between this and, say, the All Blacks doing their haka before a rugby match.

Though when it comes down to it, I think this is just another "adman's word", a way of saying something to sound impressive, a soldier is just a soldier, but "warfighter" has a ring to it.

If there was one thing Orwell was right about, it's the (mis)use of language.

While I think the term "warfighter" is a bit of a marketing term, I also think it was developed as a way to refer to all combat military personnel with a single word. Soldier generally refers to people in the army, sailors to people in the navy, etc., but warfighter is any of them that fight, regardless of the branch in which they serve.

• 5 weeks later...

Back to original topic: who ELSE wants to model one of these beasties? I'm thinking start with an F-15K and just tip the fins 15 degrees outboard for a start, and say it's in "ferry configuration" with regular CFT's instead of the weapons-bay modules.

That's an oversimplification. <...>

Exactly. In both cases, they also had considerable other problems in terms of a widening gap between the rich and the poor (resulting in social unrest) and an ever-increasing oligarchy in which wealth meant influence/power.

In Rome's case, they also suffered from crippling debt, a drop in education and a woefully understaffed (and at times corrupt) administration/bureaucracy. And, last but not least, Rome also suffered from increasing self-inflicted environmental problems, with serious repercussions on their agriculture. Extensive deforestation in particular, which led to floods and soil erosion. Medieval Japan also had to learn the correlation between deforestation and hunger the hard way.