1:32 A6M5c Zero Type 52

Howdy~!

If you're reading this then you've realized I have ventured back in time and returned with an interest with WWII aircraft - in this case Japanese aircraft.

For model kits I've discovered that Tamiya were the most expensive when it comes to price but in quality it tied with it's rival Hasegawa, however, many WWII enthusiast that I've known have preferred Tamiya despite the company going overboard on their scale reproductions (higher detail, extra small parts, photo-etched or magnetic panels, translucent molds, etc.).

I've recently purchased a 1:32 scale model of the infamous "Zero" fighter - A6M5c Type 52 - by ARII Plastic Models and the parts were descent but requires a lot of filling on every fitting. Less detailed and simple to build it was not only the cheapest I could afford but it was also the ONLY 32 scale model of it found from my local hobby store.

I'm asking for general and expert modeler's opinion for the "Zero" - Comparing to the ARII kit which brand is better? Tamiya or Hasegawa?

Thank you for your time,

Jack

The Tamiya A6M5 was the first 1/32 model I ever did. Its an amazing model and will provide hours of building fun. I only used filler in a couple of spots along the fuse - everything else was seamless.

I have my build in the 'in progress' section

The A6M2 version is slightly better.

You should be able to find these from $50-$75 and are worth every penny.

The Tamiya A6M5 was the first 1/32 model I ever did. Its an amazing model and will provide hours of building fun. I only used filler in a couple of spots along the fuse - everything else was seamless.

I have my build in the 'in progress' section

The A6M2 version is slightly better.

You should be able to find these from $50-$75 and are worth every penny.

somebody sells a kit to convert an A6M2 into a Rufe using the Tamiya kit. I just gotta do that one as I have a thing for float planes. Wish Tamiya would do a high tech Kingfisher in 1/32! Or a Pete!!!!!!

gary

Edited by ChesshireCat

somebody sells a kit to convert an A6M2 into a Rufe using the Tamiya kit. I just gotta do that one as I have a thing for float planes. Wish Tamiya would do a high tech Kingfisher in 1/32! Or a Pete!!!!!!

gary

MDC (Model Design Construction) does the 1/32 A6M2N conversion and it's very, very good.

As far as the 1/32 A6M5c zero is concerned, the Hasegawa kit is the only game in town. The Tamiya A6M5 is the initial version of the A6M5 series and is totally different than the A6M5c. the Hasegawa kit, while decent, suffers from age (it's a 1970's mold IIRC)raised panel lines and desperately needs an accurate cockpit. It's overall shape is good and it certainly looks like an A6M5c and if I had to choose one kit or the other, I would take the Hasegawa offering just because I am not that familar with the Arii offering (they may be from the same molds, I don't know).

As others have posted, the 1/32 Tamiya kits are the best of any version of the zero that's currently available. You can build it without getting into the working control surfaces, etc. just use a bit of foresight and modelers saavy and you'll have no trouble.

Wow, that many Tamiya fans.

I checked another hobby store nearby and discovered that their price was outrageous! Would you guys believe a Tamiya kit for a 1:32 A6M5c Type 52 was $150?! Compare to Hasegawa the price tag for it was $44.

Was that Tamiya price a rip-off?

I checked another hobby store nearby and discovered that their price was outrageous! Would you guys believe a Tamiya kit for a 1:32 A6M5c Type 52 was $150?! Compare to Hasegawa the price tag for it was $44.

The details you get in Tamiya Zero is stunning. Not just details, the engineering of the kit is superb. You need very little or no filler at all. The details on the engine, retractable struts is simply amazing. And I have not even mentioned the cockpit! When I built it, I did not want to put the cockpit in the fuselage because it felt bad obscuring so much fine detail in the built up kit.

Before you even buy, take a look at the kit and its details on the link below.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10011768

Tamiya kit stands head and shoulders above Hasegawa or any other kit. I have built a few Tamiya kits in 1/32. But their Zero kit trumps every other kit in terms of detail, engineering and quality.

FWIW, Megahobby currently has the Tamiya A6M5 for 118.50:

http://www.megahobby.com/a6m5model52zekezerofighter1-32tamiya.aspx

I got two of them for $75 and one for $50... you can find one occasionally in the buy and sell for that price. But even at $100 its still an excellent value. No matter what your skill level, you will get an excellent result!

I got two of them for $75 and one for $50... you can find one occasionally in the buy and sell for that price. But even at $100 its still an excellent value. No matter what your skill level, you will get an excellent result!

Thats a real bargin at 50$ i often see them at 80$ around here and they dont last long !

Okay, now I am convinced. Tamiya is the one. :doh:

I just bought yesterday a Hasegawa kit of the A6M5c Type-52 Zero Fighter: Box ST-4.

Not to my surprise it almost look like the old ARII kit except more detail was added on the cockpit and the fuselage interior but not as much as the Tamiya version, same for the engine; the parts are more refined and well molded, and more parts - 98 total from Hasegawa compared to 57 from ARII. The only disappointment from both kits is the pilot - it does not look right.

Not bad but still not enough to impress me. Anyway this will go along with the 32nd Ki-43 "Oscar".

Guess if I want to try the real kit I'll have to start with these two for practice before I go for it, plus I need to find kits to sell for a new "Zero".

Need confirmation though: Is it true that some Tamiya 32nd "Zeros" were discontinued?

Not to my surprise it almost look like the old ARII kit except more detail was added on the cockpit and the fuselage interior but not as much as the Tamiya version, same for the engine; the parts are more refined and well molded, and more parts - 98 total from Hasegawa compared to 57 from ARII. The only disappointment from both kits is the pilot - it does not look right.

They're all going to look like Zeroes, just varying degrees of finesse. Never owned the Tomy/Arii, the one I saw looked more toy than model. The Hasegawa kit was a great model for the seventies.

Need confirmation though: Is it true that some Tamiya 32nd "Zeros" were discontinued?

Hadn't heard that. During development Tamiya went for lights as well as retractable gear. They decided the lights put the price tag too high and offered it as an aftermarket add on. Whether they release earlier versions remains to be seen. They're very inconsistent in this regard; after they did the early Betty I was waiting for the later model. Still waiting!

Cheers,

I picked up a Tamiya A6M5 Zero awhile back, and the details were stunning! Paid $80 for it, and now plan on getting a couple A6M2's for future builds.

gary

I got one from a Hong Kong seller onces on ebay, for $25.00!!!! No on else bid, I am guessing it had to do with the location. I have noticed in the early days of Hong Kong sellers many people were hesitent to bid on their items.

IIRC, the original tool A6M5 was slightly different than the current offering because when Tamiya did that A6M2, they revamped the tooling a bit. The original A6M5 is not aviailable any more but the current version is exactly the same save for some tooling changes. What those changes were, I don't recall but I think it had something to do with the fuselage being easier to assemble than the earlier version. There was nothing wrong with the original tooling, it was an engineering change that caused the tooling changes.

Any model kit in any company's catalog will come and go. They can't keep every tool they own in constant production at all times. "Discontinued" only means they're not producing it at the moment, but with a big expensive investment like that, it *will* be back. I'm not even sure that's the case with the Tamiya 1/32 stuff. AFAIK all of their big kits have always been available since they were respectively released. Eventually they'll pull them to make room for other stuff in the catalog.

Any model kit in any company's catalog will come and go. They can't keep every tool they own in constant production at all times. "Discontinued" only means they're not producing it at the moment, but with a big expensive investment like that, it *will* be back. I'm not even sure that's the case with the Tamiya 1/32 stuff. AFAIK all of their big kits have always been available since they were respectively released. Eventually they'll pull them to make room for other stuff in the catalog.

1/32 Thunderbird F-16C has been discontinued. Will it be back? Probably but I'd venture a guess that they'll change it up a little bit by changing the markings to an Aggressor F-16C (I'm hoping), or another version of the Block 30/32 series aircraft.

As far as the A6M5 Zero is concerned, the following Tamiya kits have been discontinued:

60309 A6M5, replaced by 60318

60311 A6M5 Real Action Set (Lights, sound and motor to turn the propellor)

89622 A6M5 w/Sound CD

As mentioned previously, kit # 60318 is currently available and with a couple minor tooling changes, is exactly the same as the original release 60309 (which won't be re-released).

Edited by timc