U.S. Air Force vs U.S. Navy

The F-8 was more akin the the F-100 than the F-104, a very successful aircraft obsoleted by changing priorities which would go on to have a lengthy and successful career in foreign service as well, the only F-104 variants which were really similar to the F-8 were the F-104G, CF-104 or F-104S, none of which served in the USAF. The main difference is the F-8 was successful in US service where the F-104 wasn't.
The F-100 was more of a fighter bomber than the F-8. In fact the Hun's role in combat was mostly as a bomb truck. While the F-8 carried Zuni rockets on its fuselage Sidewinder mounts if the task required, I don't think it ever carried bombs into combat. The F-104A was a pure fighter and while the -C could carry bombs, it wasn't well suited for the role. Edited by dmk0210

The A-7 admirably filled the Skyhawk's roles in the USAF, much as it did in the USN and USMC. And the F-111 filled a role quite different from the A-6, which had no real equivalent in the USAF (which preferred either smaller or larger strike aircraft rather than a single mid-payload all-weather strike platform back then, it wouldn't be until the F-15E entered service that the USAF would have something really akin to the A-6 in payload and capability).

Ummmmm.....A-10?

Navy for sure. The whole carrier concept makes for much more interesting scenery.

That and the F-14 being the hottest fighterjet ever.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ah men! because of you i had to clean up a big coffee choke spills on my desk before i can post this message!

your entitle to think what you wanted about the fatcat... so am i!

this topic is very instructive as it explain me why i see so much of those boring USN & USMC jets builds...

Edited by mingwin

While the F-8 carried Zuni rockets on its fuselage Sidewinder mounts if the task required, I don't think it ever carried bombs into combat.

The USMC did a lot of mud moving with their F-8's. MER's wit Mk.82's, Mk.84's directly on the wing pylons, this happened a lot.

Here's a well known pic of a Crusader at Da Nang:

F-8E_VMFAW-235_DaNang_Apr1966.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ah men! because of you i had to clean up a big coffee choke spills on my desk before i can post this message!

your entitle to think what you wanted about the fatcat... so am i!

this topic is very instructive as it explain me why i see so much of those boring USN & USMC jets builds...

Opinions don't overrule the truth so, choke up all you want ;)

Are you one those people we talked about who never went to sea?

Um, yep, I was one of those guys. When I came up for sea duty, three different times the detailer said he couldn't find me S-3 or CV-TSC orders. I was NPQ for SAR so, helos were out.

Ummmmm.....A-10?

Ummmm.....no.

The A-10 was designed for a completely different mission than the A-6, specifically to kill tanks. The A-6 was designed to hit more-or-less fixed targets at night or in bad weather. F-111 is more akin to the A-6 role than just about anything in the AF inventory until the F-15E came along.

Painting anything white is a tremendous PITA. Therefor, I prefer USAF aircraft. Even painting the landing gear and wheel wells is enough of a problem for me that it sometimes affects which model I will pull out of the stash.

Which do you prefer to build and why? Some build all and anything that is a modern jet but there are those who have a preference. F-16's and F-15's seem very popular subjects and these are presented well in all scales (look at the nice Tamiya F-16 kits). Seems Airforce is more popular but shocking that there is not more hollywood movies with airforce jets. Look at the biggest jet movie ever Top Gun which is Nacy, TV series JAG which is Navy, makes you wonder. Thought this may be a good discussion.

Flare to land, squat to pee...Go Navy!

USAF fighters are boring. Move fast in a straight line, land on long runways, yawn. USN fighters rock. Nothing like watching a Super Bug blast off a carrier or slam down, grabbing the wire and hanging a stop. Sorry USAF, your AC are boring.

The F-100 was more of a fighter bomber than the F-8. In fact the Hun's role in combat was mostly as a bomb truck. While the F-8 carried Zuni rockets on its fuselage Sidewinder mounts if the task required, I don't think it ever carried bombs into combat. The F-104A was a pure fighter and while the -C could carry bombs, it wasn't well suited for the role.

Ummmm, the F-100 was a pure fighter initially. It became a FB later as more "advanced" designs came online. Such seems to be the fate of aging fighter designs. Front line fighter then fighter/mud mover. Same thing now with the F-15 and F-16. One thing I will never understand is why Europe chose the F-104. It seemed to me to be a really stupid AC to use in the what was projected to be a more or less ground war in Europe and not a particularly good dogfighter even against the Soviet fighter AC of the day. Lockheed must have had an excellent sales team back then.

... shocking that there is not more hollywood movies with airforce jets...

How about "The Jet Pilot" starring John Wayne, Janet Leigh, F-86s, a T-33 painted black as a Soviet jet, B-36, F-94, F-89 et al; or "The Hunters" starring Robert Mitchum, Robert Wagner and a lot of F-86s in Korea.

As to the OP, I like F-4s which handily covers both USN, USAF and many other countries, and the F-86 which, with the FJ Fury, does the same. Apart from those if I have a bias it's probably towards USAF - all those Century series jets plus my local connection as I grew up near Mildenhall and Lakenheath, and have family near Bentwaters/Woodbridge.

Ummmm, the F-100 was a pure fighter initially. It became a FB later as more "advanced" designs came online. Such seems to be the fate of aging fighter designs. Front line fighter then fighter/mud mover. Same thing now with the F-15 and F-16. One thing I will never understand is why Europe chose the F-104. It seemed to me to be a really stupid AC to use in the what was projected to be a more or less ground war in Europe and not a particularly good dogfighter even against the Soviet fighter AC of the day. Lockheed must have had an excellent sales team back then.

You mean the F-100A? All of the Hun pilot stories I've read involved the primary job as either carrying iron bombs in SEA, or practicing for nuke delivery during the rest of the cold war (pre and post SEA). But I don't think I've ever read any first hand stories about flying the -A model. I don't think it was fielded for long.

The rational for the F-104 as an export fighter was that it was lightweight, low cost (relatively), and supersonic. Basically filling the same niche as the F-16 exports today, but not doing it anywhere near as well. The idea for the F-104 was to get a lot of supersonic fighters out there on the NATO airfields to help counter the multitude of Migs fielded on the Warsaw Pact airfields. The F-104 was determined to be the the most expedient solution to the problem at the time. The F-4 came along a bit later as the opposite (heavy, complicated, expensive), but filling the multi-purpose role much better and in fact probably a much more successful export commodity, until the Viper even overshadowed it.

Edited by dmk0210

Painting anything white is a tremendous PITA.

Here's a trick to getting a smooth consistent white (You can use this same method for yellow, another problem color):

You have to lay down a flat light gray first to give you a consistent color base.

Then use flat white, not gloss. Flat light colors cover much better than gloss.

You can overcoat the flat with a gloss white or clear if you need shiny.

Edited by dmk0210

Painting anything white is a tremendous PITA. Therefor, I prefer USAF aircraft. Even painting the landing gear and wheel wells is enough of a problem for me that it sometimes affects which model I will pull out of the stash.

As opposed to natural metal? I'll take white any day! :D

Sounds like Navy is more popular. Notice too, that kit manufacturers release more air force (or air force based) jets than Navy. Okay, Hasegawa makes them all F/A-18A to G and F-14A to D but no weapons or different pods and make you buy the weapon sets or take from other kits or AM and the F-14 molds are old. I give Hobby Boss credit for doing their Tomcats and Hornets, Hornets might not be up to par but loaded with weapons. Others like Academy, Tamiya focus on F-16 and F-15's in both 1/48 and 1/32, sure Academy did 1/32 Hornets.

Would be nice to see Tamiya release some Navy 1/48 kits like Tomcat, Super Hornet, Phantom and Intruder, etc. Tamiya doing F-15 and A-10 (older kits I know) now F-16 galore and maybe in the future 2 seaters, it tells me that the F-16 must be the most popular jet model, they have done it in both scales. Besides the 1/32 F-14 (old, raised panel lines) and the F-4J, Tamiya has never done a 1/48 jet model.

Would be nice to see Tamiya release some Navy 1/48 kits like Tomcat, Super Hornet, Phantom and Intruder, etc. Tamiya doing F-15 and A-10 (older kits I know) now F-16 galore and maybe in the future 2 seaters, it tells me that the F-16 must be the most popular jet model, they have done it in both scales. Besides the 1/32 F-14 (old, raised panel lines) and the F-4J, Tamiya has never done a 1/48 jet model.

I'd love to see Tamiya do a 1/48 Legacy F/A-18 -A or -C that is as nice as their 1/48 F-16 Vipers.

Tamiya also did an excellent F4D Skyray in 1/48.

Edited by dmk0210

United States Air Force. Particularly the F-15C and E's. I like the Raptor but it just does not have the appeal of the Eagles. I also like a few of the Naval aircraft (very few) and the one I am partial to the most is the F/A-18D. BUT! The F/A-18D MUST be attached to the U.S. Marines VMF(AW) squadrons.

Hey, can any of you floaty guys tell me how to get to the back of the boat an which stairs do I take to go down?

Edited by timc