181st FW INANG Viper

Hello guys, Here is the latest build from my bench. 1/48 Tamiya Blk 25/32 kit, Mix of Afterburner and Fox One decals, Shull24 resin GE nozzle. Painted with Mr Color paints. I'd like to give a shout out to Jake Melampy and Dave Cook for sending me some walk around photos of this jet...Thanks guys! "Couldn't have done it without your help"

The plate on the base is an actual piece of an F-16 flaperon that has been lazer engraved. Any questions you may have, I'll do the best I can to answer them.

Thanks for looking at this build of a Viper from my home state.

054.jpg

053.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042-1.jpg

037.jpg

058.jpg

050.jpg

040.jpg

039.jpg

Edited by jmreed76

I don't think so Mike; we are our own worst critics. I can wait to see what you to with a 32nd scale! But watching your builds, I can honestly say you improve on every one you put out. I don't see a lot of room for improvement but I have a feeling your next one will be even more stunning...

Bryan

Thanks buddy! I have 5 32nd scale Vipers in my little stash Even have the Sufa but I'm kind of leaning towards building a D out of it instead of the I. I have learned alot from guys on these forums and being that I have only been at this hobby for about a year and a half now, I'm pretty happy with my results. I used to build as a kid...Oh about 20-25 yrs. ago I remember using Testors tube glue "Not following directions" and enamels right out of the bottle, Silvered decals....What a mess! But as a kid, I thought that I had built something great!

Edited by jmreed76

Very nice build! Does the GE nozzle make it a block 30? I'm in search of a GE nozzle and an intake to make a MI block 30. I have the block 32/52 kit.

How did the FoxOne decals work for you? I have the ANG sheet with MI, TH, CO, and SD.

Aaron

Edited by jester292

Very nice build! Does the GE nozzle make it a block 30? I'm in search of a GE nozzle and an intake to make a MI block 30. I have the block 32/52 kit.

How did the FoxOne decals work for you? I have the ANG sheet with MI, TH, CO, and SD.

Aaron

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Aaron, Yes sir, this is actually built to a block 30 A/C. The 181st had (NSI) "Smallmouth" intake GE powered jets The last serial # to have the small intake is 86-0261. The first jet to have the (MCID) Largemouth intake is # 86-0262 All of the MI.jets were Block 30s and had the Smallmouth intake. Are you planning to build your model on a Tamiya kit? If so, Grab a Block 25/32 ANG. kit. The only extra parts that you will need are GE related. I have spares so if you need these, I can help you out! Send me a PM here. The Fox One decals are great decals. You shouldn't have any issues using them also. I used Microset and Microsol decal solutions on my model and the decals really turned out almost like they were painted on. BTW: That MI. jet is also on my to do list! As are a bunch of others...LOL! Hope that I was able to help you out. If you have any more questions, Feel free to drop me a message here on the forum and I'll do the best that I can to help ya!

Mike.

Edited by jmreed76
  • 2 months later...

Aaron

Hey Aaron, Yepper, the MI Block 30's had the small-mouth (NSI) intake. I spent a lot of time at the 178FW in Springfield. They had the first Block 30 (#86-0262) with the large-mouth intake (MCID). (#86-0262 is also a MiG killer - MiG 23, if I'm not mistaken.) I saw a MI Block 30 and an IN(181FW) Block 30 parked on the ramp next to the 178FW's Block 30's. There is quite a difference when seeing the two parked next to each other. In fact, the 178FW refused to accept some of the older Block 30's with the small-mouth intake that "they" tried to assign to the unit. It matter's no more, because the 178th got hit by the 2005 BRAC cuts and flew their last F-16 missions in the summer of 2010. The 178th was a training unit. They did a really cool thing before the F-16's left. They gave as many incentive rides for unit members as they possibly could when they were almost done with their flying mission. I believe they gave between 60 and 70 rides in their last couple of months of flying. Here's another note for you: If you ever build an F-16 with the up-dated P&W 229 motor, check the intake. Most of them still have the small-mouth intake, but they have matched the updated P&W 229 motor with some F-16's with the large-mouth intake. I got this little piece of info from one of my ANG buddies. So, check your reference photos if you build an F-16 with the updated P&W 229 motor. Good Luck!!!

Tim

Thanks guys! Sledge, You must be reading my mind! Actually I'm gonna build a Blacksnakes Viper inflight to put with this 181st FW "Racers" F-16 And yes Sir you are correct the 122nd FW is currently flying the (Charlie) model of the HOG. Not sure how much longer? Word is that they may transition into the MC-12???