Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

thanks Gabor,just like you said , some more pictures just to taste a little bit more of this fantastic kit! thanks to you and crazy captain :-)

never seen 9-13 live, maybe ukrainian in future in Kecskemet :-):-):-)

Gabor do you have any photos of soviet 9-13s in Hungary? or any good site from Hungary?

thanks Gabor,just like you said , some more pictures just to taste a little bit more of this fantastic kit! thanks to you and crazy captain :-)

Gabor do you have any photos of soviet 9-13s in Hungary? or any good site from Hungary?

Hi Mario,

In 1989 the air show at Kecskemet had a pair of Russian AF Fulcrums, a 9-12 and a UB version. The really amazing thing about this event was that right next to it was standing an F-16C from Germany. The arrangement of this "meeting" was the work of the then US Ambassador to Hungary, she made a great job of it and I think this was the very first such meeting of the "confronting" airforces (apart from Farnborough and Le Bourget). Unfortunately the aircraft did not fly but still the static show of them was well worth it!

The book by Vandor Karoly on Russian AF in Hungary has great period photos of the Russian 9-13's and 9-12's in Hungary. Also World Air Power Journal had a series of articles on Russian withdrawal from Hungary.

Best regards

Gabor

I don't have any photos of the parts side by side, but the Brassin set is different from the Aires set.

The GWH cockpit is deficient in only a few areas, it is superb out of the box, but for the detail freaks among us (and I'm one of them), the biggest gap is the cabling that comes out of the front of the fusebox, and other equipment mounted behind the seat's head rest. These all tend to run down the back of the cockpit's rear bulkhead - most to the side of the seat, so they are visible.

The other thing that bugs me is that the big cable that runs around the floor of the cockpit doesn't appear to be in the right spot. Now, I'm seriously nit picking here, so for the 99.5% of you that would never notice this, just move on and don't worry about it. It looks like it runs along the side walls of the tub of the cockpit in the kit, where every picture I have shows it running around the edge of the "floor" of the tub, and across in front of the seat. In the real thing it is typically green colored (I'm sure Gabor or somebody more knowledgeable that I will be along to explain WHAT it is), so it stands out prominently even in 1:48 scale.

The ONLY reason I mention this, is that it's a detail that is correct in the resin parts that are out there.

As always with Brassin, one of the biggest challenges is matching the pre-painting color that Eduard uses to your finished product, but having just completed a Brassin MiG-21SM cockpit (using the early MF), the results are stunning (if a little paintstaking) when you get it together!

Will be very interesting to see what kind of direct support the GWH kit receives from the aftermarket. I know the first Eduard etch sets are coming available as I type this.

My 9-13 should be here this week!

I agree RedStar, the detail in the GWH cockpit is very nice (a little soft IMHO, but workable) but my main complaint is the way the IP mounts to the coaming. There is about a scale four or five inches of coaming before it meets the IP. I've tried to fix this by thinning the coaming, but there is no way to get the panel up there to meet it. I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all. The Brassin set looks to have it right. It looks like they have molded the top part of the IP with the coaming to get everything to scale.

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/pictures/z4/648091_4.png

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/pictures/z5/648091_5.png

Plus you get a cool helmet. ^_^

Dave

Here is a bit of detail with the Brassin cockpit inside the GWH kit and some other extras from the Eduard set.

9-1328_zpsadbb6de8.jpg

9-1329_zps7dfbb4fb.jpg

9-1330_zps67a1cf01.jpg

9-1331_zpsd31950d9.jpg

9-1332_zps72cf3bdd.jpg

9-1333_zps88898490.jpg

And here is the new intake parts with the inner wall modified to fit the new corrected central part.

9-1327_zpse7cd6f3c.jpg

9-1326_zps38645e0d.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

The other thing that bugs me is that the big cable that runs around the floor of the cockpit doesn't appear to be in the right spot. In the real thing it is typically green colored

The things I do for you guys....... :rolleyes:/>/>/>/>/>

Although the MiG-29 is not 'my thing' - I took a few photos of this 9-13 when we visited Vasilkov airbase, Ukraine in 2010.

mig-29 cockpit_001.jpg

This one shows the green cabling on the floor.....

mig-29 cockpit_002.jpg

Here's the rest of them....

mig-29 cockpit_003.jpg

mig-29 cockpit_004.jpg

mig-29 cockpit_005.jpg

mig-29 cockpit_006.jpg

Note the strap on the far side of the seat connecting the seat to the canopy.

There is a similar 'bungee' type strap on the Su-27 - but connected to the top of the seat.

I think it may be to arm the seat when the canopy is blown off ?? Garbor ?

mig-29 cockpit_007.jpg

Looking down at the throttles.....

mig-29 cockpit_008.jpg

mig-29 cockpit_009.jpg

There's an interesting counter - with a dial - behind the seat.

It reads 5 - anyone know what that is for??

mig-29 cockpit_010.jpg

Hope these help....

Ken

PS - All these photos are reduced in size so as not to take up too much room on my ISP's server - if you need any zoom-ins, let me know.

Edited by Flankerman

The things I do for you guys....... :rolleyes:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

Note the strap on the far side of the seat connecting the seat to the canopy.

There is a similar 'bungee' type strap on the Su-27 - but connected to the top of the seat.

I think it may be to arm the seat when the canopy is blown off ?? Garbor ?

Hope these help....

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes it is for the arming of the seat. The first thing which is blown off is the canopy and the attached line arms the seat and initiates the firing sequence. On the K-36DM Seria 2 seats it is on the right side of the seat while on the earlier K-36DM seats (with the bigger headrest as on Su-24, some Su-17/22 aircraft . . .) it is located on the after left side of the headrest.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I found this photo in my collection - I blagged my way into the back seat of a Ukrainian AF Su-27UB at RAF Fairford in 2011.

The same initiator strap is on the rear K-36DM Series 2 seat.....

mig-29 cockpit_011.jpg

Ken

So I think I've kept relatively up to date on this thread, and I don't believe that I've seen specifically what's "next" in this kit series. Will it be the 9-12 early? Or will it be some mod on the 9-12 with an extra little sprue of parts like a Polish bird? Seems like that possibility has been hinted at. I know I'd go for a MiG-29SMT, but I won't be greedy (but I'd still bet we'll eventually see it).

My 9-13 will be here tomorrow, so now I get to wonder what's next?! Surely I'm not the only one!

You guys keep crankin' them out, I'll keep buying them!

Edited by RedStar
  • 2 weeks later...

So you know how everybody thinks the center windscreen panel on Phantoms and Tomcats are tinted (they aren't), is the one-piece wrap-around windscreen on the MiG-29 tinted? Sure does look like it in this photo! Compare to the main canopy.

(Fair use and all that..)

MiG-29windscreen.jpg

So you know how everybody thinks the center windscreen panel on Phantoms and Tomcats are tinted (they aren't), is the one-piece wrap-around windscreen on the MiG-29 tinted? Sure does look like it in this photo! Compare to the main canopy.

Yes, it is. I tried to replicate it on my old Academy based model:

http://vodnik.republika.pl/pages/mig29-gallery/left-front.jpg

Edited by Vodnik

So is the one-piece wrap-around windscreen on the MiG-29 tinted? Compare to the main canopy.

One is a plexiglass the other one is a layered shatterproof glass with heating inbetween. This results in a colour difference.

It is the same as on the Mi-8/Mi-17 family where the glass just in front of the two pilots is a heated laminated glass while all the other elemets of the canopy are plain (special type for helicopters) plexi glass heat formed to shape.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Just want to share some photos of the production run GWH Mig-29 photos just obtained from local model shop. Wooohooo! I got it! :nanner:/>/>/>/> :cheers:/>/>/>/>

The missiles are the best cast ones I have ever seen up so far. They are molded in one piece with the pylons. Sorry to bored you all with it, but I cant be a happier man.

Edited by Hero Ma

Just want to share some photos of the production run GWH Mig-29 photos just obtained from local model shop. Wooohooo! I got it! :nanner:/>/>/> :cheers:/>/>/>

The missiles are the best cast ones I have ever seen up so far. They are molded in one piece with the pylons.

Sorry for the crappy mobile photos, they dont do them justice. Maybe i will get some better photos later.

Hi Hero Ma

Next time , stop smoking this kind of stuff when you 're looking (in extasy) at the content of a kit !

:)/>

Thanks for the pics ! But from what I can see , the pylons are still separate parts , aren't they ?

I am still waiting for mine ( a nice gift !) from a friend ...

Madcop

Hi Hero Ma

Next time , stop smoking this kind of stuff when you 're looking (in extasy) at the content of a kit !

:)/>/>/>

Thanks for the pics ! But from what I can see , the pylons are still separate parts , aren't they ?

I am still waiting for mine ( a nice gift !) from a friend ...

Madcop

Sorry Madcop, I got too high on the freshly molded plastic, so the sky is a bit blurry now. :gr_eek2:/>

It doesnt really have the full pylon on it, just part of it as you can see from here. It is still very nice isnt it!

20130523_210619_zpsc8edc47b.jpg

Edited by Hero Ma