Kitty Hawk 1/48 UH-1Y Venom

Kitty Hawk has announced the upcoming release of their 1/48 UH-1Y Venom to go along with their recent AH-1Z Viper release. Here are some pics of a build-up model of it. It looks really nice. It is supposed to be available sometime in April.

Kitty Hawk also recently announced that they will be doing 1/35 helicopters too. Hopefully they will do the AH-1Z and UH-1Y as their first two 1/35 kits.

header.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

Hopefully the first 1/35 kit is an accurate D/H Huey. Plleeeaaasse

X2. Get the dang Huey variant that has been used by nearly every freaking country on earth right first! Then tackle the one off Marine variant. Just my two cents.

Ray

To paraphrase Agent J, you got a have the new hotness, then the old and busted. :)

While the new lines are not as sexy as the original, I think it's a good start for Kittyhawk and us. We all get to work through things like the rotor mast plate or cover.

X2. Get the dang Huey variant that has been used by nearly every freaking country on earth right first! Then tackle the one off Marine variant. Just my two cents.

Ray

X3. I just don't have much interest in these two releases and my guess is that the non-US market will feel the same way. Regardless, they look like outstanding kits and I hope they sell well.

Ok, those models are amazing, but why the heck do people want those? People wants an accurate UH-1D/H in 1/48 and 1/35, being the most iconic helicopter on earth and aviation history, it needs his place in the modelling world, just like P-51, BF-109, etc... Those are iconic warbirds, and the Huey too.

Rod.

Some people do actually want modern helicopters. Maybe if these sell well, they will have the funds and desire to do a super accurate UH-1D/H as well. How about some support for them instead of the tired old line, "We really need a new UH-1D/H Huey....."

Some people do actually want modern helicopters. Maybe if these sell well, they will have the funds and desire to do a super accurate UH-1D/H as well. How about some support for them instead of the tired old line, "We really need a new UH-1D/H Huey....."

I believe I commented on what a nice looking kit it was and how I hope it sold very well. That's gonna be the extent of my support.

Hopefully that is what you meant. I'd hate to think that you were implying that modellers should purchase both of these kits, at a combined cost well north of $100, even though they have no intention of building them. All in hopes that KW might someday release a D/H Huey?

BTW - over the Jet Forum there are a bunch of posts from people complaining that no one has ever released a T-37. Please head over there and keep those folks in line. Can't have anyone getting too passionate about their favorite modeling subject.

I believe I commented on what a nice looking kit it was and how I hope it sold very well. That's gonna be the extent of my support.

Hopefully that is what you meant. I'd hate to think that you were implying that modellers should purchase both of these kits, at a combined cost well north of $100, even though they have no intention of building them. All in hopes that KW might someday release a D/H Huey?

BTW - over the Jet Forum there are a bunch of posts from people complaining that no one has ever released a T-37. Please head over there and keep those folks in line. Can't have anyone getting too passionate about their favorite modeling subject.

You can buy, I will fly (build in this case), also a company only really cares if you buy not if you actually build it. Probably 3/4 of all kits sold are unbuilt.

Do those folks also say when someone releases a new kit, hey we don't care what you want to release we want ______ model every time. Pretty sure they are already know that folks want a Huey, that drum gets beat every time. If you read the tea leave someone is working on one and when things align that make it right for the company to release I am sure they will.

Edited by Tank

Yes, I mean to support by saying something other than the old lament. Never said we should blindly buy them. Hopefully they sell well. Also, it was not directed at you or anyone in specific, so lighten up.

As for the jet guys, I don't give two shits about jets, so I could care less.

Edited by HeavyArty

Here's the thing. A well engineered 205 kit could be the base for a UH-1D/H or Huey II (TH-1H) (A modern helo by the way). And they could do this by simply changing a few key parts in the kit. There are literally hundreds of schemes available. However, a UH-1Y will ONLY work for a UH-1Y and thus far the standard color is gray! I have been told that "It's their money" so I am beating the drum because hopefully they will realize they can have MY money if they listen to those of us that want 205 variants. That's the beauty of the forums, WE speak and hopefully THEY listen! To each their own and more power to them.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

Ok, those models are amazing, but why the heck do people want those?

Hey-

I can only speak for myself, but I want those because I spent a few years of my life working on the R&D of them while they were at Pax River. Helping in some small way to get them through development and to the fleet. They're amazing machines and especially the UH-1Y is a huge improvement in performance and capability over the UH-1N. The crews love them. Good enough for me to want a model of one on the shelf.

I hope they release new kits of the UH-1D/H, but I most likely wouldn't buy one.

Phil

Hey-

I can only speak for myself, but I want those because I spent a few years of my life working on the R&D of them while they were at Pax River. Helping in some small way to get them through development and to the fleet. They're amazing machines and especially the UH-1Y is a huge improvement in performance and capability over the UH-1N. The crews love them. Good enough for me to want a model of one on the shelf.

I hope they release new kits of the UH-1D/H, but I most likely wouldn't buy one.

Phil

Phil,

I hear you. At least you know there is a beautiful UH-1Y in 48th now. Personally, I wish we could get new tool kits of all of these (UH-1D/H/II/Y) in 1/72 scale as well, but 35th is the thing right now, so I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, it is good to see new kits of Bell birds no matter what the variant or scale. I have to say that the Special Hobby AH-1G gives me hope though. It is a very nice kit.

Ray

I am looking forward to the UH-1Y, and I am currently working on their AH-1Z

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978396-148-kittybhawk-ah-1z/

I note that it looks like the r/h engine panels are separate to display the r/h engine, but the pics only show the left engine. KH goofed with the AH-1Z kit and have provided a pair of engines that are a mirror image of each other. The left engine is correct. I suspect that they have carried this error over into their UH-1Y kit, but I really hope that I am wrong,

cheers,

Pappy

It is interesting to hear that Floyd is helping Kitty Hawk with their up-coming models. Hopefully the 1/35th series will include;

A state-of-the-art UH-1D/H

An AH-64A/D series of kits

A series of AH-1 kits including the G,Q and F versions.

If they then want to produce an Alouette III as well, I won't object.

LD.