Revell 1/144 F/A-18C Hornet

Hi there :worship:

Here's my small bug in progress. I've added several scratchbuilt parts to it. It's going to be a small diorama with a tractor and crews. Maybe I'll tie it down if I can find a not out of scale solution for it. Becouse of this, wings are folded, slats & flaps are dropped. I'll make FOD covers too. Canopy is giong to be opened with detailed hydraulic rod and details. I'll try to scratchbuild the acces ladders aswell.

myhornet.jpg

The only problem is that I simly can't find a good decal sheet for it. I'd buy larger scale decals to scane it for reference and make my own one, but I cannot use my credit card now.

Greetings, neu

ps: if you have spare 1/144 weapons, external fuel tanks for the Hornet, crews tractors, or the Dragon Blast off! (or whatever) kit with the hornet, please let me know! Also interested to spare F/A-18C decals too.

Edited by neu

Unfortunatelly I don't have Macro mode on my camera, so I just cannot post a photo of the seat. I've spend a half day putting all the belts on :blink: It's looking good in this scale...I'll try to get a better camera to show it for you. There are some decal imitations too :lol:

Also forgot to mention the opened refueling probe :worship:

Greetings, neu

Great job!!! As one with a lot of 1/144 experience, i'm impressed!!! As for decals - i can offer you a couple of suggestions. DML has some 1/144 hornets that have usable decals. They are a bit thick but can work. If you want the decals darker (dark grey/black) though the hornets never have that color, I scale down /72 or 1/48 decals on the photocopier and print them out on decal paper. For the correct colors, I've spryaed a patch of dark ghost grey onto clear decal paper and then cut out the shapes for ejection seat triangles, intake, stencil boxes, etc. Haven't had much luck with stars and bars though. Something I just discovered was that the 2Bobs hornet sheets (I only have VFA-87) in 1/72 have a number of items that scale perfectly to 1/144. The aileron deflection trianges are perfect for 1/144 ejection seat triangles, the stencil boxes just have to be trimmed down in size. From 1 sheet, I've got enough for 2 or 3 1/144 jets. Some careful masking and painting, along with some creative decal usage has allowed me to make pretty much any markings I've wanted.

Have fun, can't wait to see more pics!!!

-brian p

trevortex88

Thanks, but I'd like to build a small carrier diorama, so I need a USN decal sheet.

Brian P

It's a really great appreciation from somebody who has experience in this scale! This is my first try in this scale, but I'm really enjoying it. The scale down is one of my ideas too, but I don't have any F/A-18C decal sheets, and I couldn't find any in the area. Unfortunatelly I can't use my credit card to order it online :worship:

Btw can I see you're small planes somewhere online?

Just for fun: a size comparsion :blink: I've finished the cockpit. Unfortunatelly almost all the details are invisible in the Hornet, becouse I don't have macro mode...tomorrow I'll ask my friend if he has, and take some closeups! The other Cockpit is 1/32 A-10A.

myhornet2.jpg

Greetings neu

I've made several small improvements (the small humps and bumps were the hardest), and I'm finished the Preshading/preweathering. I hope you like it :) I'm still looking for a macro capable camera to show you the cockpit details :)

myhornet3.jpg

Greetings, neu

Man that is freaking awesome! I am working on this right now, and I could defenetly not do waht you have done.

Since Im doing the candian show bird scheme, im not using any of the fuel tanks or weapons, so if you need some, i would be more than glad to send them to you.

Hornet is looking better and better. Love that prewash - curious what you used - black ink? tell me more!

LMK what markings you'd like to have, squadron and time frame, and if you have some pics and I'll see what I can help you with.

wish I had pics of some of my stuff out there. No digi camera - no camera at all at the moment.

Keep up the great work and post more pics as you go!

-brian

Thank you!

This night the first layer of grey is done. Today I'll respray the other color, and I'll take photos for update.

It's going to be VFA-195 Dambusters, the decal is almost readi to print. This is the exact plane I'm doing:

fa18cprofilekj_1.jpg

Greetings, neu :worship:

Dang!...jsut DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o

i though i was crazy!!!! :cheers:

this looks great.....a flatbed scanner makes a great closeup digital camera........and a webcam can also work.................

theres a f-16 like this in the gallery............its not going to be alone for very long! :)

ausome man!

Regards

Raymond

Here's an update of my hornet. It has decals representing the VFA-195 Dambusters CAG Bird (NF-100, USS Kitty Hawk/NAS Atsugi). Not too much comment this time...starting weathering :huh: This time a 1 cent as size reference for my modeler friends in the US :wave:

hornet_04.jpg

hornet_05.jpg

I hope you like it!

Greetings, neu :wasntme:

I knew it, I knew it :wave: Looks great! :huh:

Guys, you would be surprised! I bought some of the new kits and the new 1/144 Tomcat and the E-2C have such a gorgeous detailing that I hardly could believe they are Revell-kits! They even have decals for the cockpitconsoles (in that scale, I couldn´t paint that properly...). All in all highly recommended!

Zoltán, you´re doing fine! Nice build! :wasntme:

István

My god, what detail! I,ve thought before of building a whole airwing in 1/144, but have been scared off thinking of detailing something so small.

I'll have to give it a swing now after being inspired by your awesome job! The only problem is that I will want to buils the Aircraft Carrier to put them on.

Neu, you da man :angry: