• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
chuck540z3

1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E Kicked Up A Notch. April 27/19 Tail Done

28 minutes ago, SERNAK said:

Hi Chuck,

Very nice work so far. 

BTW, I would like to ask you; do you think that the Kitty Hawk F-5E is more accurate than the AFV Club kit (different scales/companies but nonetheless both recent kits)?

Thanks.  I can't comment on the 1/48 AFV Club offering because I only build 1/32 aircraft, but based upon the FineScale Modeler review here, I am certain that it is a better kit overall:

1/48 AFV Club F-5E

This Kitty Hawk kit is a real challenge to get it to fit together properly, but it does has some good points as well:

Pro's

1)  It's way better than the old Hasegawa kit, which is the only other kit in 1/32.

2)  Accuracy is pretty good overall.

3)  Good plastic that is easy to rescribe.

4)  Excellent rivet detail, although many of the rivets need to be enhanced.

5)  Lots of decals and subjects.

But there are abundant flaws:

Con's

1)  Many errors, like fuel doors on starboard side of fuselage and panel line errors on the same side of front fuselage.

2)  Many errors in the instructions, especially the clear parts.

3)  Some of the parts do not fit together at all.  The front to back fuselage join is especially problematic.

4)  Panel lines often don't mesh across parts.

5)  Gun doors are made to be open only and require a lot of surgery to get them closed.

6)  Windscreen and canopy clear plastic have internal distortion flaws that can't be fixed.

7)  Cockpit is too shallow and not very accurate.

8)  Instrument panel is a mess.

Having said all that, this build should be fairly unique, because I am trying to fix most of these errors and the final product should look pretty good.  Fingers crossed!

HTH,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Many thanks for your reply. I have recently bought the AFV Club F-5E and it would be interesting to compare it to your build in order to see if it has any areas that need to be fixed (you know panels, panel lines, rivets, etc).

Keep up the good work!!!

Bill

I agree Collin, the AFV F-5 is a nice kit though it has some issues.

For instance, while looking at the previous page photos and my kit I noticed that the AFV F-5 has probably in some areas more rivets applied (if you have the kit check the wings' riveting and the one from Chuck's build), with some being misaligned (on the middle of the fuselage) and a line on the upper surfaces of the wings that it shouldn't be there. 

Cheers

Bill

The AFV Club F-5E is a nice kit, but as a replica there are a couple of things I don't like shapewise:  The forward fuselage is too rounded in crossection, and has a "coke-bottle-effect" on the belly under the cockpit.  The real thing is more like a rectangle with rounded corners, whereas the kit looks like the sides are bulging.  The other thing is the front of the intakes that are curving inwards whereas they should be more in line with the airflow.  

On 4/9/2019 at 7:08 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Stunning pic, absloutely beautiful, I sure do miss home. I live in Dubai right now. 

ORuD5j.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck