Saw "Midway" Tonight

15 hours ago, parche said:

Everyone in the theater I was in applauded at the end... But we also stood for the national anthem at the beginning too.

Dave

You must have seen it on a military base?

Geoff M

My wife was so drawn into this movie that she told me during the movie she was "feeling stressed" from the events in this movie.  She has almost no knowledge of WW2 and was fearful for the characters in the movie and kept asking me "does this guy survive?"

This movie was very realistic in her eyes.

For the ultimate contrast to that, come to the US and go to a showing of the movie The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

It is not merely going to see a movie, it is participating in an experience!

Oh, I had that experience when they showed The Rocky Horror Picture Show at my university! People dressed up, rice throwing, water pistol shooting, singing, dancing... It was a blast!

So, we Germans can do that, too... But not too often. It´s not serious then, and we do feel uncomfortable. 😄

HAJO

On 11/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, southwestforests said:

Wow, it did reach out and grab her. Given the concern of mothers, wives, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, for service members in the war, it might could be said that she now has a realistic idea of their experience of the war.

My wife is now addicted to WW2 since seeing midway.  She's a simple farmers daughter from the countryside in the Philippines with no knowledge of history and is quite interested to learn the antics of the Japanese Imperial forces during WW2.  Her grandmother was a teenage girl at that time and they had spotters around the village to warn people when the Japanese were coming so the girls could hide in the forest.  There was one Japanese officer that had an interest in my wife's grandmother.  Grandmother is in her 90's and on a recent trip I sat the family down and got her to tell them her experiences from that time period.  I couldn't understand anything that was said....but my wife and her siblings were quite fascinated.

The Japanese seemed to be quite well behaved when they visited their village.

4 hours ago, SBARC said:

The Japanese seemed to be quite well behaved when they visited their village.

From all the books I've read on the Philippines during WWII and the Filipinos I've talked to that is a rarity. The Japanese treated the Philippine people the same way they treated the Chinese and Koreans, and we all know they were treated.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:17 PM, SBARC said:

To only watch the Battle of Midway story would have been a missed opportunity to teach a possibly ignorant younger audience some history from WW2.

Steve, Did you see this in the news?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/millennials-learning-ww2-bad-mental-17182923

On 11/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, parche said:

Everyone in the theater I was in applauded at the end... But we also stood for the national anthem at the beginning too.

Dave

You definitely didn't see this in California! :rofl:

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

From all the books I've read on the Philippines during WWII and the Filipinos I've talked to that is a rarity. The Japanese treated the Philippine people the same way they treated the Chinese and Koreans, and we all know they were treated.

Books and the media don't always tell the truth.....or they deliberately leave out certain truths. Possibly to incite hatred towards certain people. Or for politicians to exploit hatred.  

My grandmother was in Malaya during the Japanese Occupation and her experience with the Japanese was similar to what SBARC wrote (" The Japanese seemed to be quite well behaved when they visited their village".) 

When you talk to people about their experiences during the war, talk to them in private. Not in front of an audience. Because then, they will only tell you what others want to hear. Not what they actually heard/saw/feel.

While "books and the media don't always tell the truth...",  there is a lot of evidence that Japanese humane treatment was a rarity.  The "Rape of Nanking", 250,000 killed for a few helping Doolittle's crews, Korean 'comfort women', POW treatment, etc.

18 hours ago, GW8345 said:

My feeling was the local officer was a rarity, but I will add the local girls fled into the forest when the Japanese visited, so the local villagers had a complete lack of trust of the Japanese in general.  That sort of lack of trust was caused by word of mouth, so it seems to me the Japanese in general were not well behaved and had a bad reputation.  But I feel it is fair to note that there were exceptions in every situation.  The local officer did have an eye for my wife's grandmother and he liked the idea of coming back to the Philippines after the war and living a quiet life away from Japan.

18 hours ago, JackMan said:

Books and the media don't always tell the truth.....or they deliberately leave out certain truths. Possibly to incite hatred towards certain people. Or for politicians to exploit hatred.  

My grandmother was in Malaya during the Japanese Occupation and her experience with the Japanese was similar to what SBARC wrote (" The Japanese seemed to be quite well behaved when they visited their village".) 

When you talk to people about their experiences during the war, talk to them in private. Not in front of an audience. Because then, they will only tell you what others want to hear. Not what they actually heard/saw/feel.

Yes, all those books on the Bataan Death March (written by survivors), the Japanese occupation of the Philippines (written by people who were there) must be wrong.

You might want to try Googling "Unit 731", Wake Island Massacre, Bridge on the River Kiwi (not the movie).

Also, read some books written by those who were actually POW's (Pappy Gunn's Family comes to mind) and tell me they are lying in order to incite hatred towards the Japanese.

Have you seen the movie "Unbroken", think that was all hollyweird make believe?

My wife spent two years in the Philippines back in the 60's as a kid, she remembers the hatred the Filipino's had towards the Japanese 20+ years after the war due to the way the Japanese treated the Filipino people.

Bet the Midway movie doesn't cover the Japanese killing two SBD crew members they fished out of the water, held as POW's for a few hours, then tied them up, tied shells to their feet and threw them overboard.

Edited by GW8345
2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Bet the Midway movie doesn't cover the Japanese killing two SBD crew members they fished out of the water, held as POW's for a few hours, then tied them up, tied shells to their feet and threw them overboard.

Spoiler alert...I recall this was covered in the movie.

53 minutes ago, WymanV said:

I did not see anyone state the Japanese did NOT commit atrocities.

I agree.  The Japanese atrocities during the 1930's and 1940's are well know and not disputed.

No event in history was ever black and white.

11 hours ago, SBARC said:

I agree.  The Japanese atrocities during the 1930's and 1940's are well know and not disputed.

No event in history was ever black and white.

Except the moon landing, that was in black and white...oh sorry, not what you meant?:woot.gif:

6 hours ago, niart17 said:

Except the moon landing, that was in black and white...oh sorry, not what you meant?:woot.gif:

:rofl:

They could have filmed the moon landings in color and they would have looked the same....white space suits on a gray moon do not make for colorful TV viewing.

It is good to see that this movie is doing well at the theaters only because it isn't a comic book movie.  Considering the success of serial movies like Star Wars and the comic book movies, would people be interested in serial movies of the whole of world war 2.  It could go on for decades like Star Wars.  And it is historical.  Not that it is likely to happen, but I think it would be very interesting.

Geoff M 

2 hours ago, Geoff M said:

It is good to see that this movie is doing well at the theaters only because it isn't a comic book movie.  Considering the success of serial movies like Star Wars and the comic book movies, would people be interested in serial movies of the whole of world war 2.  It could go on for decades like Star Wars.  And it is historical.  Not that it is likely to happen, but I think it would be very interesting.

Geoff M

I would absolutely love that. If people only knew the true, amazing stories from WWII, WWI, Korea and Vietnam to present day. Amazing movie potential in them all. But, I am a history dork.

Dave

On 11/3/2019 at 5:24 AM, parche said:

While the Star Wars-esque flight sequences were a bit annoying in some ways, I was happily surprised by how faithful they were to critical points in the story. Overall, recommended. 

Cheers,

Dave

George Lucas tells in his biography "Skywalking" by Dale Pollock that he watched lots of movies about WWII and modelled the flight scenes on these. One movie was "The Battle of Midway" from 1976.

Edited by Kauko_Putki