Operation Eldorado Canyon Presentation

My 2-hr Zoom presentation about Operation Eldorado Canyon (based on my upcoming book by the same name) was given on March 23rd to the Royal Aeronautical Society and has now been posted on YouTube. It was the first time I’d given the whole thing at one time, so it’s a bit rough in spots—especially when I’m fighting with my trackpad! Not for everyone, I'm sure, but it covers more than just the F-111s--tankers, SEAD, ECM and the Navy attacks on Benghazi and Benina airfield. It also covers (briefly) Operation Prairie Fire the month before and includes videos of a Harpoon attack on a Libyan gunboat and three F-111F attacks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBGB1ix2AbI&t=9s

3 minutes ago, Da SWO said:

Looking forward to the book.

Was their any fallout from DMA not delivering the needed items until after the mission was flown?

Not that I'm aware of.

• 9 months later...
20 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Amazon.nl just told me April.....

Yeah, just slipped again, but this should be the last one. Book is being published in Europe and the latest slip probably reflects shipping time.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Why Eldorado Canyon and not El Dorado Canyon?

Some controversary has been generated as to why I titled my book Operation Eldorado Canyon rather than to grammatically correct Operation El Dorado Canyon. It was not a mistake. Modern U.S. military operations have two-word code names (e.g., Desert Storm, Provide Comfort, Unified Protector). The code-name the Libya raid was initially being planned under, Prairie Fire, was usurped by the Navy’s actions in March 1986 (when Operation Attain Document went kinetic). When the USAF planners were informed that their planning was to continue under the new code name El Dorado Canyon, confusion about the new name was immediate. Why was a three-word name chosen?

First, where did the name come from? The F-111 representative at HQ USAFE Weapons and Tactics office at Ramstein AB, Germany had been a planner of the earliest Libyan contingency option. Probably while on leave as he was driving northeast of Sacramento, California he passed a sign for either the town of El Dorado Hills, or perhaps more likely El Dorado Canyon, somewhat farther northeast. He fixated on that as an appropriate cover name for the mission and later laughed when he told the story because it was so contrary to how people believed mission names were selected.

The confusion as to the two vs. three-word code name persisted, even at the official level. After-action reports listed in the http://airforcehistoryindex.org/ data base show seven reports using "El Dorado Canyon", but 25 using "Eldorado Canyon". So, the decision to use the two-word, grammatically incorrect term, for my book was done not by mistake, but to conform with the two-word code name standard.

735779828_ElDoradoCanyonCA.png

Edited by mrvark

The book is now available in the UK, my copy arrived today and I'm engrossed in it already. The quality of research and detail is superb.