Just saw the CAD drawings for the MiniArt Thunderbolt...

...on the Modeling News.  WOW!  If the detail that is shown on the drawings ends up being present in the plastic, that kit will be insane!  And that's just what they are calling their 'basic' kit'.  Who knows what's going out be included in their advanced kit!  Now, the question is, what will the engineering and fit be like, compared to the perennial favorite, the Tamiya P-47 series.  If the fit is really good to excellent, we may be seeing a new 'king of the hill' in 1/48 P-47 models.  Now, I'm not a P-47 expert, not even vaguely knowledgeable, so, if the MiniArt plane has incorrect details or measurements, that's another story.  But it will be interesting!

Edited by Curt B

I already know it will be much more accurate in the canopy than all versions of the Tamiya 1/48 kit, which I utterly despised.

So good, after 20 years, to finally speak of the Tamiya P-47 in the past tense.

3300516_ecc83997e11117667073cd9f1637843d.webp (15.14KiB)

3300516_01b0f36312f808fb0caf75c08ecc5920.webp (25.31KiB)

Edited by Robertson
picture
9 hours ago, Buckmeister said:

Perhaps you need to keep following the thread.

I don't even know how people can blindly cling to not to scale factory drawings, and ignore the evidence of their eyes... 

It's not like it is even close...

6 hours ago, Robertson said:

Perhaps you need to keep following the thread.

I don't even know how people can blindly cling to not to scale factory drawings, and ignore the evidence of their eyes... 

It's not like it is even close...

Are you related to a certain Jenna Heilig? Or Jenny Heilig? Oh, Jennings Heilig, that's it!

On 8/18/2023 at 8:49 AM, Silver Seraph said:

Are you related to a certain Jenna Heilig? Or Jenny Heilig? Oh, Jennings Heilig, that's it!

No, Jennings Heilig is someone else. Jennings has gotten himself on trouble on a few sites due to his rather aggressive manner of posting, but he is actually very knowledgeable.

Robertson is the "red lines guy" and posts, often using exactly the same material, on a huge number of forums. He used to post as Gaston Marty, but also uses Sherwood, Gen. Tlavok,  wrathofatlantis2018, JeanStravinsky and various other pseudonyms. It usually takes only a couple of posts to recognize him since he reposts and cross-posts a lot of repetitive materal. Unlike Jennings, there is a geniune "Dunning Kruger" element to Gaston Marty's posts, especially when it comes to photogrammetry and flight physics, which may be real ignorance but could also be a deliberate trolling tactic.

10 hours ago, Mfezi said:

No, Jennings Heilig is someone else. Jennings has gotten himself on trouble on a few sites due to his rather aggressive manner of posting, but he is actually very knowledgeable.

Robertson is the "red lines guy" and posts, often using exactly the same material, on a huge number of forums. He used to post as Gaston Marty, but also uses Sherwood, Gen. Tlavok,  wrathofatlantis2018, JeanStravinsky and various other pseudonyms. It usually takes only a couple of posts to recognize him since he reposts and cross-posts a lot of repetitive materal. Unlike Jennings, there is a geniune "Dunning Kruger" element to Gaston Marty's posts, especially when it comes to photogrammetry and flight physics, which may be real ignorance but could also be a deliberate trolling tactic.

Ah, yep the Gen. Tlavok one totally makes sense from HS, thank you for confirming what I suspected.  

• 3 weeks later...

The Modeling News, within  the last few days, has posted images of the actual plastic of this forthcoming kit, and at least to my unschooled eyes, that plastic is beyond incredible.  As i stated in my opening post, I can't say anything about the accuracy of the surface details, nor the accuracy of  the dimensions of this new kit, but as a 'layman', the details, not only in the surface of the molded plastic, but the options offered in the kit (extended or retracted undercarriage, multiple landing gear struts with extended oleos [for 'in flight' extended landing gea] or 'weighted' oleos), seem to indicate the level of thought that the MiniArt folks put into this kit.  I have nothing to do with the manufacturer, but I'm excited to contemplate this new airplane.  I'll be looking forward to the expert opinions on the dimensions of the plane when the first builds are completed, but unless there are some serious deficiencies in construction or shapes, I'm planning on a getting a few of these!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking over the latest photos of a built-up MiniArt P-47, it looks...okay.  A bit disappointing to see the wing to fuselage fit, especially given that the 'naked' build was done by MiniArt themselves.  Pretty large gaps between the wings and fuselage on both sides, especially for a band new tooled model, plus, there were pretty sizable gaps between the leading edge of left wing where it meets the fuselage, looks a tiny bit better on the right wing.  The rest of the plane looks good, though.  Ahh well...so much for the hope for a Tamiya-like fit with a truly state of the art level of surface detail and perfect shape, size and design.  Maybe the wing fit won't look too bad after appropriate filling and sanding.  Perhaps I'm being overly critical.  Disappointing, though. 

Edited by Curt B
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, BustedJaw said:

Soooo…. We’re not allowed to “insult” people on this site, and other threads get locked down for it.  But not this one?  

No wonder ARC has the reputation as being a bunch of little children moderated by idiots.

Where are those idiot moderaters when you need one?

Looks great to me but stby for the usual suspects to flood the forums with red lines and over sharpened/over contrasted photos and then whinge about rivets and panel lines.

General detail looks very nice indeed be happy to buy a couple and see what the high detail one brings.

With Tamiya’s M long oop hope to see the M come along soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine and it is brilliant, although the bubble portion has slight optical distortions near the frame, probably more visible in the closed position against a dark background. Rob Taurus makes no 1/48 canopies for this, unfortunately. A dip in Gunze clear might help.

Eduard-like surface detail. It is not yet clear if the cowling tapers towards the front in overhead view like it should NOT, as it does on the Tamiya... The Dora Wings Razorback is correct in that area.

The egg-plane windscreen of the Tamiya has been fixed, and FINALLY the armored windscreen slopes back at something resembling the correct angle...

Not clear if the wing guns are perfectly parallel to the ground, but it is claimed that they are. The Tamiya leading edge part would fix that if they are not. The guns are more spindly than Tamiya (as they should be) and would do to be replaced with less warpable metal substitutes...

Absolutely amazing in every way.

• 1 month later...

Confirmed: The Mini Art guns are not perfectly parallel to the ground (they miss by about 5 degrees each), and the Hamilton prop is 8 inches oversized in diameter compared to the Tamiya. (The Dora Wings Razorback is definitely better on these points.)

The Mini Art multi-part cowl fits perfectly if you assemble it separately, away from the engine framing. All alignment/position tabs are likely problems, and must never be assumed to help: Once the potential problem ones are trimmed, everything fits perfectly. 

I will use the Tamiya Hamilton prop (the hub shortened slightly), gear legs, and the wing gun inserts (the toughest issue).

The windscreen is confirmed as way better than the Tamiya (correct inclination), as is the framing of the hood (pointier rear tip). The cockpit is superb and everything comes together well. It is lovely but complex... I think the Dora Wings Razorback is at least as good, and probably better overall. 

Edited by Robertson
  • 1 month later...

Well, I FINALY got my Miniart P-47DD-25RE Advanced kit today!   Wow, what an impressive model it is!  i only hope it fits together as well as its parts are detailed!  i've been wanting to do a Gabby Gabreski P-47 for a long time, and Miniart has even done that for me, with Cartograph decals, even!  Cann't wait to start it!