Just a super bad snapshot of my Academy A-10C primed and ready for paint (with engine nacelle upper inside bulge glaringly obvious).

Academy A-10C in primer

Edited by Curt B

Thanks for all the vids!!  Getting more anxious now, seeing how good the plane looks.  WHEN are they gonna release this thing?!?!?

Edited by Curt B
8 hours ago, Curt B said:

Just a super bad snapshot of my Academy A-10C primed and ready for paint (with engine nacelle upper inside bulge glaringly obvious).

Academy A-10C in primer

Looking great Curt, almost there - and to me, the fun part of a build. Demo Hog, or much weathering? Sadly, mine's still in the box...

8 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Looking great Curt, almost there - and to me, the fun part of a build. Demo Hog, or much weathering? Sadly, mine's still in the box...

Thank you, sir!  And I agree, this IS the fun part, seeing the plane finally ‘pop’!  It’s going to be one of the demo planes, 2 tone gray with historic WWII D Day invasion stripes on horizontal stabilizers and wings.  Thus, very limited weathering, which is going to be new to me.  Perhaps more of a challenge to do a really clean airplane, but will define the panel lines, as even those can be seen on the photos of this air show A-10C, using the 2Bobs Heritage Hawgs decals.  It’s also going to have the ailerons split as the air brakes, the flaps are going to be fully extended, and the canopy open with ladder down.  I also want to do the demo SEA scheme from the same decal set, also really pristine, and then a heavily weathered combat plane in gray. I plan to do the SEA bird from my other Academy kit, and then do the line/combat plane from the new GWH kit.  

Edited by Curt B
7 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Good plan. So far GWH looks to be a sweet Hog and not a long wait now.

Agreed that the GWH A-10C appears to be the next ‘best of’ Hog kit, and I’m truly hoping this is the case.  I think it’s always great to have a clear ‘top of the heap’ kit for a given aircraft, as it makes it easy to 1) recommend such kit to others, and 2) have an easy ‘go to’ for any project you do involving that airplane type. In my experience, Tamiya is typically that ‘go to’ kit for many, many aircraft types and variants, but while Tam continues to come out with clear flagship kits (e.g.,  1/48 F-4B, F-14A and D, F-35A & B, P-38F/G, H and J), they are also being challenged in many areas, too (e.g. 1/48 Eduard P-51s, Spitfires, and to some extent, the brand new Miniart P-47D series). I hope this GWH A-10C is the true flagship for the A-10C, price notwithstanding (I’ve seen pre-order prices approaching $120, but if no, or minimal, aftermarket is needed, that price may not be too badly out of line).   And if a March release turns out to be accurate, great!!!

Edited by Curt B

The GWH A-10 is looking good. 

I bet they will dominate the 1/72 scale if they scale it down like they did with the Mig-29.....There isnt really any decent 1/72 A-10's at all.....

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Since someone thought the release date for the GWH A-10C might be 03/12/24, wondering if anyone has seen any on sale by any hobby stores OTHER than EBay offers from China.

That SATCOM antenna...! Just an assembly error, but it makes me laugh. People are always trying to make things look aerodynamic on the Hog... there's nothing aerodynamic about the Hog!

Looks promising overall.

Edited by Guard Hog
1 hour ago, Illu said:

122 photos of the kit:

https://www.hyperscale.com/2024/reviews/kits/gwhl4829previewjh_1.htm

Looks pretty nice from what I can see there.

Thanks for the link.  Great pictures of most of (all?) the parts.  Now...WHEN CAN I GET ONE??!?!?!?!?!

Edited by Curt B
3 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

What frightens me the most about GWH is not the price but the utter and sheer lack of Customer Service care whenever you need spares. :hmmm:

All the more so if you dwell in South America. 

Hey Gwen, I presume you've actually tried, and failed, to get replacement parts for your GWH models?  I'm sure we've discussed this before, just can't recall.    I've not had a need...YET...for any replacements for my numerous GWH kits.  But  you would think, given the premium price that their models command, their customer service ought  to  match.  However, unfortunately, this is not always the case.  

Hope all is well!   I'm sure I owe you a PM or two! 😊 

8 hours ago, Illu said:

Do any of the Chinese manufacturers have “premium” customer service?  Not that I’ve heard anything about.  

Meng has decent customer service.

21 hours ago, Illu said:

Do any of the Chinese manufacturers have “premium” customer service?  Not that I’ve heard anything about.  

Hi lllu

Dunno whether it's a "premium" customer service, but I did have replies from several Chinese manufacturers, such as Kitty Hawk, Trumpeter, Kinetic, Hobby Boss, MiniBase and Dragon to send me spares, whereas GWH replied after three months just to pick up a fight.

I told them I never knew of a worst Spare Parts Service than theirs, and if I ever purchased one of their kits again it was only going to be because the need was really, reaaallyy itching me. 😆

Seriously; GWH's Customer Service is beyond Scheiße!  Last kit I purchased from GWH was their 1/48 Su-27UB (and that was because it really itched me), and until I got it I was praying every night that I didn't have to ask for any defective parts inside the box.

Now I intend to buy this Warthog kit as well, but open the gates of my hell, I'll strike from the grave.

21 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hey Gwen, I presume you've actually tried, and failed, to get replacement parts for your GWH models?  I'm sure we've discussed this before, just can't recall.    I've not had a need...YET...for any replacements for my numerous GWH kits.  But  you would think, given the premium price that their models command, their customer service ought  to  match.  However, unfortunately, this is not always the case.  

Hope all is well!   I'm sure I owe you a PM or two! 😊 

Hi Curt!

Nice to chat with you once again, my mate! How have you been? Everything fine on my end, despite the chaotic economy in this country.

Yes, I once left my cat roaming in the bench, and the little bastard honed her paws on the radome of my GWH 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B kit. Eventually, she threw the kit onto the stool and then it crumbled under my hot @rs€ afterwards, when I failed to notice it before sitting down. Quite a sensation it was.

When the query was just for the broken radome, they answered just to give lame excuses to me as varied an diverse as not having the part at the moment, then when they did have the part, they asked where I had purchased the kit, what my blood type was, if I was in the US, and finally; they asked me to pay the cost a whole new kit for the shipment of just the part. :rolleyes:

I told them to go to hell. 

Cheers,

Gwendoline P.  

I've had good luck with both Meng and HobbyBoss/Trumpeter. Meng was better, with no charge for replacement parts, HobbyBoss/Trumpeter wanted shipping covered. A reasonable request in my opinion and for a reasonable amount as well.