Tamiya F-35A and B models, C?

32 minutes ago, Illu said:

I’m going to be very, very surprised to see Tamiya do a C model.  The Japanese fly the A and B (or soon will), but not the C.  

Oh for Christ's sake, Japan never flew the F-14, F-117, F4D, F4U, F-16 or F-4B either. Yet, that didn't stop Tamiya from releasing kit of those subjects. Japan doesn't fly the F-35C is the absolute dumbest reason modelers use when they claim Tamiya won't do that version. 

1 hour ago, Illu said:

I’m going to be very, very surprised to see Tamiya do a C model.  The Japanese fly the A and B (or soon will), but not the C.  

idk,  i'd usually be skeptical due to their lack of variants for the F-4 and F-16 kits, but the fact that they gave us an F-35B only a year after the A makes me think the C wont be far behind.

35 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Oh for Christ's sake, Japan never flew the F-14, F-117, F4D, F4U, F-16 or F-4B either. Yet, that didn't stop Tamiya from releasing kit of those subjects. Japan doesn't fly the F-35C is the absolute dumbest reason modelers use when they claim Tamiya won't do that version. 

Well Dave you hit that one on the head so true.

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Are there any common spruces between the A and B kits?  Just wondering, because the C is a very different machine than either of the first 2; About the only common parts would be the cockpit, engine nozzle and maybe weapons.  That would be the most likely reason I can think of why the don’t do a C.

I’m with Dave. I talked to the Tam. Reps at last year’s nats. They said the reason no new variants of the F-4 have come out is because they have 3 engineers that do all their scale airplane development. The F-35 was the “priority”. Considering the success of the A and B, I’m betting they're going to round out the series with a C. It’s different, it’s big, it’s got a tailhook and it’s got markings. If they’re going to do one, I’m thinking a November 2024 announcement is plausible.

2 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Are there any common spruces between the A and B kits?  Just wondering, because the C is a very different machine than either of the first 2; About the only common parts would be the cockpit, engine nozzle and maybe weapons.  That would be the most likely reason I can think of why the don’t do a C.

They had to make brand new upper and lower fuselage halves, all of the parts associated with lift fan, positionable exhaust ( 3 positions), and optional unweighted gear struts.  They even made a new canopy frame because the area of the upper fuselage where the rear of the frame meets is different due to the fan “hump”.  I wouldn’t be surprised if making a B from the A kit is a lot more changes than making a C from the A would be.

The main reason the I can see them not doing a C is because sometimes Tamiya seems to stop short of making obvious variants from the same mold.  Unused parts on sprues suggest other versions are coming, but they never arrive.

3 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

The A is completely different from the B, with the vertical tails and ejection seat being about the only parts common between the two. 

17 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Calm down man.  Jeez… it’s a toy plastic airplane, not a cure for cancer.  How stupid are you going to feel when they don’t do it?

Edited by Illu
1 hour ago, Illu said:

How stupid are you going to feel when they don’t do it?

That is a highly opened ended argument.   When do we declare they aren't going to do a F-35C?

3 hours ago, Illu said:

Calm down man.  Jeez… it’s a toy plastic airplane, not a cure for cancer.  How stupid are you going to feel when they don’t do it?

About as stupid as you'll feel if they do release it. Oh, and the next time you want to send a personal message with disparaging comments, be man enough to sign your name to it. People may not like me or my opinion, but at least they know exactly who it is they don't like, unlike some cowards that hide behind made up user names.

Cheers

On 2/6/2024 at 5:07 AM, Dave Roof said:

Very good point right there.....

I'm no great expert on the F-35 but I am building a RNoAF A variant at the moment. There are a number of decal sheets which are included in the kit. On one of the smaller sheets decal element #185 represents the stencil 'Danger Arresting Hook'. It's not used in the A kit and the sheet is not included in the B kit. 2+2=5?

1 hour ago, Linden Hill said:

That is as may be but I've yet to find anywhere in either the A or B instructions that indicates that element #185 should be applied to either airframe.

It is on the stencil placement guide. The 185 is way out behind the engine with a really thin line pointing where it goes. I didn't see it at first, and I was looking for it.

You can see it in the bottom left of this picture on a Black Widows jet.

P1200280-600x400.jpg