On 10/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, BONEFRAGMENTS said:

Been a while since this thread was last updated...@BoneFragments, how is business going at the moment? I know you only post on facebook, I just recently closed my account so I have to ask here. You find a way to start selling again?

3 hours ago, utley said:

Been a while since this thread was last updated...@BoneFragments, how is business going at the moment? I know you only post on facebook, I just recently closed my account so I have to ask here. You find a way to start selling again?

I received an email from Jarrad on 2 January 2023.

Screenshot:

Screenshot_20230107-172156~2.png

Edited by markiii
Spelling
15 minutes ago, markiii said:

I received an email from Jarrad on 2 January 2023.

Screenshot:

Screenshot_20230107-172156~2.png

If he does, can you reply to this thread ASAP? Seriously interested in getting the goodies again. Getting tired of not having a complete Bone in the storage unit.

9 minutes ago, utley said:

If he does, can you reply to this thread ASAP? Seriously interested in getting the goodies again. Getting tired of not having a complete Bone in the storage unit.

I'm in the same place, I'll post here when I hear something.

• 6 months later...

Got my B1-B 'Premium' editon yesterday. I'm not really sure what Revell's definition of premium is but it's different to mine.

Anyhow, I knew the kit had issues before I bought it, but I'm am still amazed that manufacturers bring out products which are just so shabbily made - but again it's the only one out there (which may have something to do with it).

To line up the six major fuselage sections which were totally out of alignment, I taped them into shape and the baked at 80C in my oven - that actually worked really well. I wanted to be sure the kit would be basically buildable before investing in the ineveitable aftermarket (inlets, exhaust, delpoyed flaps are on my list).

Thanks, fantactic thread by the way.

Marc.

1 hour ago, serendip said:

Got my B1-B 'Premium' editon yesterday. I'm not really sure what Revell's definition of premium is but it's different to mine.

Anyhow, I knew the kit had issues before I bought it, but I'm am still amazed that manufacturers bring out products which are just so shabbily made - but again it's the only one out there (which may have something to do with it).

To line up the six major fuselage sections which were totally out of alignment, I taped them into shape and the baked at 80C in my oven - that actually worked really well. I wanted to be sure the kit would be basically buildable before investing in the ineveitable aftermarket (inlets, exhaust, delpoyed flaps are on my list).

Thanks, fantactic thread by the way.

Marc.

All of their premium or platinum kits are existing kits with just some extras, like a lot of PE, thrown in.  They usually don’t do anything to the original kit parts.  The 1/48 B-1B kit is 40 years old, although I think at one point over the years that may have added plastic tires to replace the original rubber tires.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Metallic Details has said their gear wont support the weight of the model and they recommend people use a stand. Not ideal at all. Especially with the ridiculous price. I copy their answer about gear strength below:

"I use photopolymer resin for production. After 3D printing, the parts are thoroughly washed and cured under the influence of hard ultraviolet light. After polymerization, the material becomes glass-like in compressive strength. I tested the landing gear when assembling the model airframe. The material has held up. But the weight of the finished model with all additional parts and modifications will be about two kilograms. (I have already prepared a set of bomb bays for release. The weight of this set is about 400 grams.) My opinion is that even metal pins inside the racks will not help support such weight. I recommend using a clear acrylic stand to support the model."

Edited by Specter1075
3 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Metallic Details has said their gear wont support the weight of the model and they recommend people use a stand. Not ideal at all. Especially with the ridiculous price. I copy their answer about gear strength below:

"I use photopolymer resin for production. After 3D printing, the parts are thoroughly washed and cured under the influence of hard ultraviolet light. After polymerization, the material becomes glass-like in compressive strength. I tested the landing gear when assembling the model airframe. The material has held up. But the weight of the finished model with all additional parts and modifications will be about two kilograms. (I have already prepared a set of bomb bays for release. The weight of this set is about 400 grams.) My opinion is that even metal pins inside the racks will not help support such weight. I recommend using a clear acrylic stand to support the model."

There is no mention of this problem on their website, which is unacceptable.  $400 for this set was already overpriced.  They need to use those prints to cast the main gear in brass.

glad someone mentioned that before I spent the money to get the stuff........was that the gear itself, or did that include the whole of the landing gear bays as well? I can see the gear getting crushed, but not the bays.

Edited by utley

I pasted the answer from them above. It's not perfectly clear but I understood its the gear that are not strong enough to support the weight. I'm sure the bays would be fine, but I don't think they sell them separately, and I doubt they work with the kit gear. It's a real missed opportunity.

I read it as saying their gear will not support "the weight of the finished model with all additional parts and modifications"

I took that to imply a build with lots of after market resin - bomb bay, cockpit, exhaust nozzles and possibly other add ons. It sounds like it would be okay supporting an out of the box styrene only built. But that's just my take. 

Edited by habu2

I didnt know bomb bays were being made other than the 10 point bomb racks, would be nice if we could finally get some CRLs. Theres not enough stuff for the Bone unfortunately, and Im way more interested in getting the gear and bomb bays done than anything else. Ive got an extra set of flaps for a spare Bone that Ill have to find some day...maybe if they can build those gears to be in a flight position, can do a diorama of an aircraft taking off or landing.

Edited by utley
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...