Trumpeter 1/32nd Su-27

Yeah, those early morning photos... Damn nice! You could really think you're gazing at a real aircraft!!

EDIT: My God, am I the incarnation of the Devil himself? Post count: 666... :P

Edited by janman

Good Lord! Who do I see about a broken jaw? an MD or a regular dentist? Mine broke when it hit the floor..

I've only said this a few times sir:

Your model looks like the real thing-and that is the highest compliment I can give any modeler.

Hats off to you!

Regards,

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I'd like to thank everyone who has been kind enough to comment on my pics both here and in Critiques. Your continued enthusiasm and support is hugely appreciated. It means a great deal to me and encourages me to finally finish the build. I find I am constantly thinking of bits and pieces still left to do.

For now, I've been concentrating on the last two pylons. Here is a picture of the two offered by Trumpeter:

Pb080041.jpg

They don't really represent the actual pylons fitted to most of the aircraft I have references for :whistle:

The larger of the two (on the left of this pic) is close to the shape of a pylon fitted to an aircraft in the Verlinden Lock-On title but,....not close enough :cheers:

The pylon on the right is an attempt at the more common centre-line pylon shape but on closer examination I've decided that the full sized aircraft uses similar pylons to the under-intake version. Luckily I've kept the ones I cut off previously :worship: so these will be the starting point.

The actual pylons are quite complex and require a good deal of modification.

Here's a pic of the work so far:

Pb080037.jpg

The nose of each pylon was rounded so needed sanding to a flatter shape. The tail of each one will need re-shaping once they are glued together. The profile and plan views will require attention to look better

I've cut out slots for the weapon release mechanism and added the flared skirt that these pylons have.

The internals of these two pylons is pretty complex so I intend to try to break it down into manageable chunks.

Here's a look at the rear of them

Pb080038.jpg

and a little closer......

Pb080039.jpg

The pylon is only taped together at this point as I want to be able to add the rams and doodahs inside ;)

You might be able to pick out some white spots of detail added to the sides of the rails. Trumpeter has made a fairly accurate job of all of the panels on the sides but has left it all flat. Alot of the fastenings are in relief so I've added them from plastic extrusion. It will probably seem a little odd to go to these lengths when these pylons won't be seen but I know they are there.... -_-

One final update for today.

Here's a snap of the ladder.

Pb080042.jpg

This is a guesstimate using the Mk1 eyeball. I'm not particularly happy with it though.

It's far from square and perhaps a little too heavy gauge for my tastes. I can see myself making another one before I'm done. Perhaps I'll finish this one and lay it on the ground by the tail for the final photo shoot.

It'll add a little interest there. :cheers:

Thanks for looking.

:whistle:

Thank you guys, much appreciated and Berkut, you're not the first one to say that.

Most of my friends think I'm potty too :cheers:

Here's a couple of pics of some internals of the rails.

Pb120039.jpg

Pb120038.jpg

I can't believe how long they are taking :wave:

I've painted the insides black and dark grey to appear deep and I'll prime it before spraying a light grey colour. Once I've picked out a little detail it should resemble the full sized article more than the original kit part.

Next up is the complicated end parts. These should be fun.....I also plan to scratch build a red "thingy" and suspend it from the aftmost rail. Photos of full sized Flankers show these instruments/balance weights(?) dotted about various pylons in what appears to be an arbitary fashion :banana:

:D

p.s. I'd just like to add a huge thank you to everyone who posted a reply over in Critiques. Rather than tease everyone with a post over there and not show any new photos, I'll say it here first and then post over there again when I have something to show, o.k? Thank you guys!

Let the walkaround continue,Guy!

You can even publish a book of your Flanker,man! :D

That'll make a nice business,I think.

BTW,as you added so many details on the rods,does that mean you won't put any weapon on her?

Thank you guys, much appreciated and Berkut, you're not the first one to say that.

Most of my friends think I'm potty too :D

Here's a couple of pics of some internals of the rails.

Pb120039.jpg

Pb120038.jpg

I can't believe how long they are taking <_<

I've painted the insides black and dark grey to appear deep and I'll prime it before spraying a light grey colour. Once I've picked out a little detail it should resemble the full sized article more than the original kit part.

Next up is the complicated end parts. These should be fun.....I also plan to scratch build a red "thingy" and suspend it from the aftmost rail. Photos of full sized Flankers show these instruments/balance weights(?) dotted about various pylons in what appears to be an arbitary fashion :huh:

:cheers:

p.s. I'd just like to add a huge thank you to everyone who posted a reply over in Critiques. Rather than tease everyone with a post over there and not show any new photos, I'll say it here first and then post over there again when I have something to show, o.k? Thank you guys!

You missed a small screw on the starboard side! Just Kidding. :D Your work is amazing. Attention to detail, and craftsmanship. Please keep up the updates, as they're really enjoyed! When I build my flanker, I'll definitely be using them as a guide.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
...................BTW,as you added so many details on the rods,does that mean you won't put any weapon on her?

That is correct Haneto, no weapons. The only addition to the weapon pylons will be a small, red doo-hickey which might be some form of instrumentation or possibly just a balance weight?

Thanks for the support Jon, your kind words are very much appreciated. I hope you enjoy your Flanker build and that you find some useful ideas along the way. I look forward to seeing some pics when you begin. :banana:

I don't have too much to show this time round but here's the weapon rail with a little paint on.....

Pb260007.jpg

Stencil detail is hand painted. The data plates are black wine bottle foil scratched with the tip of a blade.

Pb260006.jpg

One down, one to go. Once these are done I can attach them and complete the remainder of the small details on the airframe. Not much longer now............. :)

That is correct Haneto, no weapons. The only addition to the weapon pylons will be a small, red doo-hickey which might be some form of instrumentation or possibly just a balance weight?

Thanks for the support Jon, your kind words are very much appreciated. I hope you enjoy your Flanker build and that you find some useful ideas along the way. I look forward to seeing some pics when you begin. :cheers:

I don't have too much to show this time round but here's the weapon rail with a little paint on.....

Pb260007.jpg

Stencil detail is hand painted. The data plates are black wine bottle foil scratched with the tip of a blade.

Pb260006.jpg

One down, one to go. Once these are done I can attach them and complete the remainder of the small details on the airframe. Not much longer now............. :lol:

:woot.gif:

WOW WOW WOW. Simply amazing, man. Inspirational. I'm sure it did take a while! Keep it coming!

Thanks guys.

Here are a couple of snaps of the afore-mentioned "doo-hickey" :D

Pb270007.jpg

I apologise for the grainy appearance of the photos. There may be a number of reasons. As was previously suggested, it could be the effect of reducing the image size using software, it could be that the camera

does n't handle low light conditions very well, it could be that I'm too close to the image for the macro to handle or it could be that I'm a poor photographer. (It's more likely to be a combination of the above in varying degrees :P )

If anyone can give me a few pointers I'm listening.........

Pb270006.jpg

I'm still not sure what these are/do but they can be seen liberally sprinkled around the weapons pylons on many reference pics.......

Pb270002.jpg

Just a few more stencils to finish and I'll get the pylons/rails mounted.

Thanks for your comments and thanks for looking :whistle:

:thumbsup:

Amazing detail - especially considering how small those "doo-hickeys" are. I also like the hand painted stencils. It's a shame that there aren't any accurate decals around for those pylons.

Lovely work,

Cheers,

Mickey

. It's a shame that there aren't any accurate decals around for those pylons.

Cheers,

Mickey

Thanks Mickey and it's funny you should say that.....

My cousin got the Revell 1/32nd MIG-29 recently. He bought the Luftwaffe anniversary boxing.

If you could track down a decal sheet it shows much better stencilling than the Trumpeter sheet. I'm hoping to persuade him to part with half so I can put decals on the outward facing side of the pylons.

Hi Guy, you sure are a gluton for punishment. The results speak volumes.

Have you tried Fookes Easy Thumb Nails (www.fookes.com) to reduce picture size. It does so with minmun loss of quality. I would email it to you, but at 1MB I would get timed out on 56K. David Aungst put me onto this. It is free and gives easy and great results.

Regards

John