Phantom and Intruder in green

Hi, I am building a F-4 Phantom and an A-6 Intruder in 1/72 scale.I like to paint them in Vietnam, but the grey-white camo is too boring to me.A time ago I see in a magazine some profiles of this aircraft painted overall dark green and grey undersurfaces.I remember only that the camo are experimental and for short time.Anybody can help with internet resources, pictures or profiles of this planes?.And, of course, what (Humbrol, Tamiya) colours they are wearing?.

Thanks in advance.

IIRC, the F-4's were designated F-4G's http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f4_5.html I've seen the occasional piture in books but not online.

Regards,

Murph

F-4G is correct, it was not the wild weasle mod though, it was an air to air data link I believe. It was removed aftewards and they reverted to F-4Bs.

There were also A-4s and A-5s painted like that. It was supposed to hide them from air to air threats over the jungle but since the air to air threat was small and the surface to air threat was large and the gray and white scheme was better against surface to air the green was dropped after the experiment.

Here's a picture I found on the web a long time ago that includes both the A-6 (partly) and a RA-5C. IIRC the pictures I've seen of the F-4 showed them to be single color - the same as the A-6. This photo seems to agree with the "Don Color" reference mentioned above with regards to the A-6.

Hitch

Jack,

Which markings were on that A-6?

Sorry, Brutus. I have no idea :blink: I've never seen an actual pic of that Green A-6. In fact, until I came across that Don Color image, I had no idea that there was such a scheme. Sorry, bro.

Here's a picture I found on the web a long time ago that includes both the A-6 (partly) and a RA-5C. IIRC the pictures I've seen of the F-4 showed them to be single color - the same as the A-6. This photo seems to agree with the "Don Color" reference mentioned above with regards to the A-6.

Hitch

Is it me or does that A-5 & that A-6 look like a computer generated image? Is it a video-capture from a flight simulator game? :blink:

But that green A-5 sure looks attractive. Maybe a future build for my Trumpeter Vigilante. :lol:

Sorry, Brutus. I have no idea :lol: I've never seen an actual pic of that Green A-6. In fact, until I came across that Don Color image, I had no idea that there was such a scheme. Sorry, bro.

Thanks, Bro :blink:

Getting the ideda out of the schemes shown by fellow ARCers.

The A-6 and F-4 and single color green (with white undersurface). The RA-5C was mulit-color. The image was from an actual airshow photo that had not been altered. On the carrier photo of the F-4's it's interesting to note that one of the Phantoms has a tan radome while the other one is black.

Regards,

Hitch

Anyone know if any of VF-114's F-4B's were painted green on the same deployment?

VF-213's F-4G/B's and VA-85's A-6A's were,i've seen profiles of VA-113 A-4C's and VA-115 Skyraiders in the scheme also..

I presume that Viggie is from RVAH-13?..

Was this a CVW-11 USS KittyHawk only project or did other airwing's get similar treatment?

Anyone know if any of VF-114's F-4B's were painted green on the same deployment?

VF-213's F-4G/B's and VA-85's A-6A's were,i've seen profiles of VA-113 A-4C's and VA-115 Skyraiders in the scheme also..

Was this a CVW-11 USS KittyHawk only project or did other airwing's get similar treatment?

Most of my resources state that only CVW-11 did this for thier 1966/67 Kitty Hawk cruise and that it was replaced by the standard two-tone gray and white.

Mungo,

Those F-4Gs were assigned to the Black Lions only (12 of them according to the Phantom II "In Action" book). The Fighting Aardvarks markings at that time were pretty weak (an orange fin-cap with a little aardvark sillouette in it). As near as the info provides, no other Phantom squadrons partook in this testing.

Edited by Skull Leader

Diego,

I've got a book titled "The history of US Naval Air Power" that shows color photos of the Green and brown over white camo applied to A-4's, A-6's, F-4's and A-5's. It also shows an all black painted RA-3B.

The CAG 11 Aircraft were deployed to SE Asia aboard the KITTY HAWK in 1967. The squadrons I can ID are:

VF-114.....F-4G

VA-85......A-6A

RVAH-11..RA-5C

The A-4 is a "C" I think. I can't tell what squadron it is from, but that info should be easily obtained on the web. Sorry I can't included pictures, but my scanner is inop.

I think the A-4's and A-6's look cool. Definately something different. One of my future projects is to model both of these Aircraft.

HTH,

Chris

Diego,

I've got a book titled "The history of US Naval Air Power" that shows color photos of the Green and brown over white camo applied to A-4's, A-6's, F-4's and A-5's. It also shows an all black painted RA-3B.

The CAG 11 Aircraft were deployed to SE Asia aboard the KITTY HAWK in 1967. The squadrons I can ID are:

VF-114.....F-4G

VA-85......A-6A

RVAH-11..RA-5C

The A-4 is a "C" I think. I can't tell what squadron it is from, but that info should be easily obtained on the web. Sorry I can't included pictures, but my scanner is inop.

I think the A-4's and A-6's look cool. Definately something different. One of my future projects is to model both of these Aircraft.

HTH,

Chris

That information is contradictory to what every other book has been saying in terms of the Phantoms. Two sources clearly state that the original F-4Gs were submitted to VF-213 for testing.... this is strange.

Skull,

I'm not an expert on the phantom, so I won't claim my info is correct. :crying: I wasn't able to ID the phantom as a B or a G. It looks like a phantom to me!

The caption for the picture I have identifies the green camo Phantom as an F-4G belonging to VF-114. It's entirely possible that my book is incorrect. Stranger things have happened.

Chris

An excerpt from Joe Baugher's web site - His stuff is pretty close to gospel in my experience:

Eleven more F-4Bs were converted to this standard on the production line. Their serial numbers were BuNos 150481, 150484, 150487, 150489, 150492, 150625, 150629, 150633, 150636, 150639, and 150642. The first of these (150481) flew on March 20, 1963. These planes differed from 148254 in having a retractable rather than fixed radar reflector immediately ahead of the nose-wheel bay. In early 1963, two of these planes (150489) and 150625) were sent to the NATC at Patuxent for testing of the automatic carrier landing system, and in the summer of 1963 the remainder were given to VF-96 at NAS Miramar for testing.

In January-March 1964, the 10 VF-96 planes were transferred to VF-213. On March 31, 1964, the NATC aircraft were redesignated F-4G, and the VF-213 aircraft followed suit on April 6. The F-4Gs of VF-213 were operated aboard the USS *Kitty Hawk* in the Gulf of Tonkin from November 1965 until June of 1966. One (150465) was lost to North Vietnamese AAA, but the others were stripped of their AN/ASW-21 datalink gear and brought back to F-4B standards and were dispersed throughout the Navy and Marine Corps. Seven survived long enough to be converted to F-4N configuration.