A tiny, fragile little jewel

Just finished the above about two hours ago and left it be until all set up. The side windows were tricky to paint the framing, particularly the rounded windows. Lots of wee tiny parts to add on, very fidley to handle, gonna have to warn the judges on this one, 'cause I don't want anyone to pick it up but me! Can you say fragile? Sure, I knew you could.

Paints are Polly Scale British Dark Sea Grey, Dark Green, and Steam Power Black. Decals from the kits were super, hooray! I did have to stay with them and cut them in the recesses, then do a little touch up here and there, but no hassles like those with the SOSL. I ended up with a full bottle of paint in matching the light blue tail stripe. Instructions call for 75% white to 25% Oxford Blue, make that more like a 90% white to 10% Oxford Blue and you're there. :thumb: Shading in places done with a 0.005-in Prisma pen and black ink.

Caz

hc1_1.jpg

hc1_2.jpg

hc1_3.jpg

hc1_4.jpg

hc1_5.jpg

hc1_6.jpg

1/144, man your eyes must be driving you crazy by now!!! Very nice job on something that small, if I tried that, there would be glue BOOGERS all over it!!

WELL DONE SIR!!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

oh...my...god... Such detail on such a little helicopter. And helo's are worse in 1/144 than working on that F-14. Geez. Hey, Ruff...take a break off the mini's and do a big 1/32nd. :thumbsup:

That Chinook looks beautiful. But I think I'll stay away from midget size for the time being. I still ain't recovered from my Tomcat.

That is superb! hard to believe its 1/144, could pass for 1/72 for me.

Well done, its nice to see a resurgence of interest lately in this tiny scale.

Mike

Edited by Mikeew

Hi Caz,

Sharp looking little Hooker. I see Revell tooled the correct rotor blades for this kit. What did you use for VHF antenna wire? If you are looking for another shelf mate for your other 1/144 build-ups, Revell just released an Apache Longbow in this scale. Of course there is that 1/144 AN-124 Ruslan as well. :banana: Again, nice job.

Cheers,

Alby

What did you use for VHF antenna wire?

That's 0.008-in smoke-colored invisible thread Alby. I used 0.020-in wire to attach it to rather than the very fragile plastic parts, as that size wire fit the holes dead on. Made it a lot easier to attach the invisible thread too.

For the record, I broke three prop blades trying to get the proper sag. Everything is so fragile on this kit, but as you see, it's the bee's knees once finished. You can bet I'll be getting the other whirlys in this scale including one or two of the beautiful Sweet 1/144 Sea Kings.

Caz

Edited by redruffensore
You can bet I'll be getting the other whirlys in this scale including one or two of the beautiful Sweet 1/144 Sea Kings.

Caz

How about the new Revell Puma TigerMeet? that would be cool to go with the Chinook. B)

Mike

Thunka...thunka...thunka! I can hearing the whoppin' of the blades. They really are neat kits. I did two of the 1/144 Sukhoi S-37 Berkut kits. I have the 1/144 MiG 1.44 MFI well under way (an in-flight BTW). I have another wee little jewel by RoG (nah, not the Harrier, need to get that too), but it's an in-flight too.

You ever notice how little dust you get in a little kit and how 1/48 and up seems to attract the crap like a magnet? I think that's one reason I like these little things. They handle easy until you start adding all of the tiny little parts, then you have to perform Japanese body arrangement to move them about! <_<

Caz

Edited by redruffensore
Do you use any kind of magnification when you're building? I just can't focus on the small stuff like I used to.

Absolutely Mike, could not build a 1/32 model without it, much less 1/144. I use 3X reading glasses for most paint work, but in the case of the window framing, I used the reading ghlasses plus a magnifing lens of 3X. I would never think of building a model without magnification eyeware. God bless people that have eyes well enough to do anything without aid, but even they would be surprised how much a simple pair of reading glasses would assist in small work. Despite the extra magnification, ya still gotta have good nerves. ;)

Caz

Edited by redruffensore