Airfix Buccaneer 1/48

The usual struggle that's part of the joy of this kit but I always think it's well worth it in the end. Neomega cockpit & Check Six decals for XW526 an S2B of 15 squadron. The roundels however come from the kit as I was't happy with the proportions of those provided on the Check Six sheet, however, the Airfix roundels are about a yard off register - take your choice!

I left off the IFR probe as this was oftemn removed from aircraft based in Germany (although I have photos of this squadron's aircraft with & without the probe). Left off the ILS aerials on the tail & the ECM pods from the wing leading edges as was the case with early RAF Buccs. I also removed the fifth vortex generator working outboard on each wing which was a feature of Martel capable aircraft. Anal? Me?

DSCF1435.jpg

DSCF1434.jpg

DSCF1433.jpg

DSCF1432.jpg

Edited by Graham T

Nice build,

Justs go to show that the kit can be finished! :thumbsup:

I have one built as far as primed for painting. I'm not sure what colours to paint it yet?

It was rare for IFR probe to be carryed on RAFG Bucc's as there was no tankers asigned to RAF Germany. Another reason was that most trips would have been one way, if the balloon had gone up!

Great build, well done.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

I can never understand why the basic proportions of the "D" roundel have been frequently incorrectly produced - the size of each ring is divided by thirds, i.e. if the roundel is 60mm across, the white areas will be 40mm and the red centre 20mm.

Shaun mentioned the fit, when I built one of the first kits back in 1994 I can remember the dry-fit of the fuselage did not look promising. But I found that by fixing the fuselage halves at the wings first and then working my way back towards the tail, joining and binding everything section by section, it firmed up by the time I got to the nose (which was all mentioned in the October 1994 Scale Models write-up).

I think part of the problem is the kit breakdown, there's a lot of air and complex shapes which mean the plastic isn't very rigid - but on some batches its just down to poor moulding, where the parts are not given enough time to cool before being ejected from the mould, and the use of a slightly "softer" grade of plastic, which is all down the moulding again.

The tooling for the Buccaneer was done by Occidental in Portugals, where the intial batches of ktis were produced, before moulding was moved the France.

Having built a fair few over the years. I think I might dust down one of the my Bucc kits and try and offer the definitive "fix it" guide to the kit. Its not as bad a some people would say it is, but its not as straightforward as it could be either!

Edited by Jonathan Mock
Looks lovely Graham - any chance of a shot of that Neomega 'pit?

Shame about them roundels though :blink:

Thanks Nev. Bit of a decalling disaster this one - in case you missed an earlier post, I applied both underwing serials the same way around!. I'd struggled so much that I decided to leave it alone for now. Next time I've got LAG in the airbrush & if I can find the correct sizes letters & numerals, I'll PROBABLY respray & reapply. No promises.

The Neomega pit is very good. My only problem is the existence of a large gap between the pilots panel & the resin comming. Same thing happened with the last Bucc I built so it can't be me.....can it?

I can never understand why the basic proportions of the "D" roundel have been frequently incorrectly produced - the size of each ring is divided by thirds, i.e. if the roundel is 60mm across, the white areas will be 40mm and the red centre 20mm.

The roundels look okay to me (well apart from the white outer "ring"), whats wrong with them?

The roundels look okay to me (well apart from the white outer "ring"), whats wrong with them?

Bill.....the roundels that Jonathan is referring too are I suspect those on Check Six sheet which I didn't use as I was a little dubious about their proportions. Those on the kit are the "off regsiter" Airfix ones which I used in preference (wish I'd touched them in properly!).

I should calrify that I wasn't referring to the Check Six decal sheet, more just exaples I've come across on other decal sheets, ktis and artwork in general.

I have the Check Six sheet here and it looks good to me!

Understood Jonathan,

Remember the old Xtradecal sheet in 1/72 with the red centres separate? The colours were SPOT on- maybe a bit to Spot On!!!; Shame about the size of the red centres though!! And surprisingly enough the R/W/B decals in Aeroclub's multi-media kits (Lightning F3, Vulcan ) were very oddly proportioned.......

As for Airfix's white lines...I've come a cropper a few times only realising they were out of register once on the camouflaged model!!!

As for Airfix's white lines...I've come a cropper a few times only realising they were out of register once on the camouflaged model!!!

Yea, that's what happened here, you gotta love white backing sheets :crying: