Revell F/A-18F VFA-103 1/48

Hey guys,

after a break of roughly 20years, I come back to business with the Revell F/A-18F Super Hornet. Did some scratch-work with the wingtips, flaps, rudders and leading edges. Also applied some bombs from the Hasegawa weapon set "D". Decals were taken from SuperScale. Hope you like it!

Here we go:

F-18F-Finish_02.jpg

F-18F-Finish_04.jpg

F-18F-Finish_05.jpg

F-18F-Finish_06.jpg

F-18F-Finish_01.jpg

F-18F-Finish_10.jpg

Edited by Laud

Great job! Although I think you would have better off with using Fightertown's VFA-103 decals.

The Super Scale sheet you used suffers from a ton of accuracy issues, but if that's not a concern for you, don't mind me!

Hey Brian,

thank you!

To be honest, this one was intended to be a practicing-kit, after the long time having not been into building. At the end I wondered how well it turned out, but then the decals were already on. I also didn't like the decals too much...

My next projects will for sure come with some higher quality decals!

Great build ... Long absence or not ... :crying2:

One can never go wrong with The Bones ... :lol:

I love those last shots, the Rhino looks as if it's on a rain soaked tarmac ... :coolio:

Gregg

Absolutely great build after such a long lay off, outstanding weathering and photography :thumbsup:.

Now I can aver or swear that Grey Ghost and VFA-103guy are contagious and infectious :whistle: , as they have the whole world doing or wanting to do F/A-18F's in JR markings :woot.gif: . That or they are some very good hypnotists, salesmen, or great JR fans. Yup you guessed it, they even snookered me; I've even done a Revell "F" in JR markings courtesy of Fightertown and the superb decals they offer. I guess I'll have to do one in VFA-102 colors to get a balance, well here at least :D .

Edited by Angels49

Thank you guys! I'm really glad you like it.

Guess what: My next one will be a F-14B VF-103 LowVis... :)

Finally it's some kind of Ed Hardy Effect... Many seem to like skulls...

About the weathering technique: I need to look for some words to describe it. I will post it ASAP.

Very nice work on the SH. Just enough weathering to catch the eye and add some realism. And I think the shots of it against the black background and reflective base are especially nice.

-Jeff

TY gentlemen!

About the weathering:

The base is a standard airbrush paintjob (standard paint scheme + pre-/post-shading + gloss clear + decals + flat clear). Then I asked myself how I could achieve this look of several layers of dirt and sanded off paint and all that stuff that gives the navy birds their look. The first idea and try was a success! Lucky me...

After the "standard paintjob" ( as described above) I made a mixture of water and watercolors (yap, those the children like to draw with). Initially I made it for washings, as I used enamel paints so I couldn't use oil-colors. I put this water-color-mixture into my airbrush and sprayed a layer of "dirt" all over the aircraft. After letting it dry I took a very fine sponge (they sell them here under the name "dirt rubber") and dipped it into clean water. It needs to be pushed as hard as possible, so that there remains nearly no water in the sponge. Then I dipped the sponge (don't rub!) on the surface A LOT of times. the effect you look for is somehow similar to the salt-weathering-technique. You need a lot of patience!! If you work to hard and fast it will not look good. If you ruined a part, just spray some "dirt" over it again and retry.

Sorry that I can't explain it better, but my english limits me somehow... I promise, I'll make some photos and a small tutorial next time (on the Tomcat).

Already said it back "in Germany":

Out-freakin'-standin'!!!!! After 20 years of a break it looks way better than what some do after being 20 years actively engaged in the hobby.

"Dein Insekt ist ein absolutes Sahnestück geworden!"