Belgian F-104G (hasegawa) 1/48

Hello again, i am back with my regular scale modeling 1/48, this started as a OOB build, and i thought it will be a piece of cake, so a grabbed from my stash this model from hasegawa, f-104C and paint it in the Belgian SEA colors, the only add to the model is the radio and electronic compartment.

So i started and in 2 days as was here as you can see in the pictures

_MG_0061_zpswypvo8ij.jpg

_MG_0066_zpsiw5v00d8.jpg

as i do usually, i posted the pictures on Facebook, and in a few days a received a message that left my mouth open, the message said " beautiful paint job but that aint a Belgian F-104, their Starfighters are a G model and you are modeling a C model", turned out that i didnt do any research on differences between model, and the BIG difference on the G is the tail, they have a longer tail surface and different rudder shape, they did this to improve the control when the airplane is used in ground attack mode.

So i sat for hours thinking in what to do , so i decided to fix it and continue with the same model and modified the tail, nothing some putty and plasticard could not fix, and here is the new ex C and new G model

_MG_0059_zpsiwwc7aqp.jpg

_MG_0069_zpscnn2qdre.jpg

Untitled-1_zpssssx0ka4.jpg

still have to fix the camouflage at the end of the tail where the Tan and Medium Green ends s it will look like the real Belgian pattern

Jorge

Jorge.... WOW! what you do in two days I can't even touch in seven months! Masterful paint and construction.

-Mark

Did I comment on how professional your photography is as well!? Beautiful!

Edited by taggor

Another gorgeous build Jorge. I too can't believe how you got to this point in 2 days, impressive. I think the color variation and fading looks perfect. After a coat of gloss coat, everything will blend in. Incredible airbrush work so far. I keep coming back to see all the details. In all this wonderful paint job, the tail fix takes the back seat but that in itself is unbelievable.

do you think it is too weathered??, i am not weathering it, just airbrush work to give the look of worn paint

Jorge

Thanks Mark

Well, how else would you call a paint that has lost it's original tint? When we use the word "weathering", we don't describe only the dirt an aircraft has but also, how much the camouflage's colors have changed when compared to the original tint.

In any case, and on the whole, I find your build to be one of your best. :salute:

Sernak

For me personally I think the paint looks great. Painting is another one of those personal touches and everyone has a different take on it. As long as you are satisfied Jorge that is what should count!

-Mark

The camo looks great and the weathering is just spot on.

But you may consider that except for the tail the G model had a different landing gear with bulky gear doors and another engine...and those are the easily distinguishing external differences.

Alex

Well, how else would you call a paint that has lost it's original tint? When we use the word "weathering", we don't describe only the dirt an aircraft has but also, how much the camouflage's colors have changed when compared to the original tint.

In any case, and on the whole, I find your build to be one of your best. salute.gif

Sernak

thanks Sernak, i thought in my limited english that people were talkin about weathering they meant how dirty it was and did not include the faded paint, we learn something new every day

Jorge

The camo looks great and the weathering is just spot on.

But you may consider that except for the tail the G model had a different landing gear with bulky gear doors and another engine...and those are the easily distinguishing external differences.

Alex

thanks Alex, yes i read about the bulky forward main gear doors due to ticker wheels, about the engine the kit comes with to different types of nozzle and the one i need is included, i will see if a fix the gear doors or leave it like it is, i started this one as a test on the SEA colors for a A-1 skyraider that will be my next proyect, but this one turned out so nice that i will finished all the way included tiger met tip tanks, so it will be more colorful

Jorge

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...this is absolutely stunning. I really like your painting technique and it's one I'm trying to perfect myself. Very well done. I'm following.

Someone gave unsolicited advice about the accuracy of your build on FB? Not remotely surprised.

:whistle:

Jorge,

My apologies, I don't know how I missed it. Just an outstanding build. I also can't believe that you completed that tail fix in just two days. It would have taken me twice that long just to figure out what I would try to attempt.

As usual, you're a master with an airbrush. The overall paint scheme is applied flawlessly, and your fading of each color has a very natural look in it's appearance. The overall effect is that of a well maintained operational aircraft. You amaze me with your ability to use post shading so effectively. I try, but I'm no where near to your level.

Joel

Hello Jorge! Another stunning and inspiring build!

I have wanted to ask if when you paint, do you plan for a series of tones based off of the base colors or do you mix your tones on the fly? For my project I have considered two tones darker than the base and two tones lighter than my base colors with a few "on the fly" mixes for random panels.

-Mark

Hello Jorge! Another stunning and inspiring build!

I have wanted to ask if when you paint, do you plan for a series of tones based off of the base colors or do you mix your tones on the fly? For my project I have considered two tones darker than the base and two tones lighter than my base colors with a few "on the fly" mixes for random panels.

-Mark

Mark,

Interesting question. I know that I plan from the start of painting more then one tone of the base primary colors. But I just mix them as I go. Going back for touch ups or additional work usually results in slightly different shades that actually makes the overall paint scheme look that much better.

Joel

Hi Mark, normally i plan on toning down the original color, on greens and brown i toned down with yellow and white, i usually go down two tones lighter, as you say "on the fly" and start painting with that color building up the color , the last shade will be the primary color.

the first coat of paint will be the 2 tones down from the primary color, this will be an even coat of paint, the second coat is one tone down from the primary in uneven patterns and for the final touch is the primary color also in uneven patterns.

Hope this help, is the best i can explain in english

Jorge