The "end of the line"...

As most of you know, the Hellenic Air Force was the last one to operate the A-7 and last October there was a retirement ceremony at Araxos AFB. For that reason my modelling club for its annual show is going to have a special section dedicated to the A-7 and my contribution is what follows...the "End of the line". Since the base is only about 20 miles from my hometown it was easy for me to get/find reference pictures from friends that work in the base.

So here we go...Hasegawa 1/48 A-7E the "star" of the diorama...

P1010060.jpg

image hosting

image.jpg

pic hosting

image.jpg

free image upload

image.jpg

image hosting 12mb

image.jpg

photo sharing sites

image.jpg

post a picture

image.jpg

adult image

image.jpg

screenshot tool

...Yeap...its a sad sight!!!

Thanks guys...I am really proud of my model...

Andrew...about the "birds"...there is a guy in my model club that can scratch built absolutely everything from sprues...I just placed my "order and that was the end result.

As a mentioned earlier due to the proximity of the AF base to my hometown we have many guys in my model club that work there...they insisted on placing the birds on the tail and not "any" bird...magpie it was the order...OOoh, and they insisted on placing more "birdshit" on the tail...

Fly-n-hi...I "cheated" with the windshield...the front piece is from the old Verliden set...ok...the rest is scratch built!

The Hellenic AF was the last to fly the A-7 Corsair II and officially retired the A-7 in October, 2014. That's amazing. I really loved to watch the A-7's flying here in Ohio. We had 3 Air National Guard units that flew the A-7. I was fortunate enough to be present at the "Sluf Salute" at the 178TFG in Springfield, OH in May, 1993. The 178TFG was the last unit in the U.S. military to fly the A-7. The unit transitioned to the F-16C Block 30 with the MCID (big-mouth) intake. The unit lost it's flying mission from the 2005 B.R.A.C. I was again fortunate to attend the last flying mission of the F-16 at the 178FW. It was a bitter/sweet day. They lost their flying mission, but the unit gained two more USAF missions.