Good news for eardrums everywhere

Hey, the Tomcatters have Top Gun, Viper groupies have Iron Eagle... Why can't the Tweeters have their own lame movie?

Give Murph a M-16 and a camera, and take him to an old Tweet. There's your movie.

Others may be curious about this as well... I know Monogram released a 1:48 A-37B, and Academy & Hasegawa had some 1:72 A-37B releases, but was there ever an actual "T-37" kit? One that included AETC decals and didn't require surgery to convert it from an A-37B to T-37A?

I think Aurora (correct manufacturer?) made one many years ago, but from what I understand, it's a horrible kit. I personally would like to see a 1/48 Tweet kit, but until then, I'll just settle for my Monogram A-37 kits that I'll eventually convert to Tweets.

All kidding aside, my photo in the second post is one of the final Tweets - it was taken about 5 months ago. How many airframes are left? Anyone know?

If a Tweet model ever, ever comes out (which I highly doubt), I would like to see a decal sheet of the markings of the jet you posted. I saw a Banshee jet at the Camden, SC airshow a couple of years ago, and I really like the markings.

If the AF was smart, they'd sell off the Tweet to the civilian market. They cant be too difficult to maintain and the spares should be plentiful. The only question would be to ensure you get one of the jets with the lower hours, within reason.

I'd buy one. I suppose you could pick yourself up an L-39 too.

Still, probably for the best that the Tweet is leaving the inventory. I'm sure the UPT/ENJJPT studs and probably their IPs are going to be happy.

Thing I could never understand was who thought up such an innocuous name for such a noisy little b@$t@&d of an airplane :banana:

Because underpowered, unpressurized, vomit encrusted, obnoxiously noisy, little POS isn't quite as catchy?

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Hasegawa released a 1/72 scale T-37 a looooong time ago.

Unfortunately, this is still the old A-37A/B kit with a few addons, but nowhere near a real T-37. The main thing is the larger engine housings of the Dragonfly, plus the underside of the fuselage has different contours, the intakes and exhausts differ, the landing gear should be modified...

For those so inclined, a more recent release (I think) of this kit came with Asas de Portugal decals (kit #00698). This may be easier to find.

Cheers,

Andre

Well, the Fouga and the Tweet produce pretty much about the same noise level. The Tweet's engines are license built Turbomecca engines that were originally designed for the Magister.

There is a place in Indiana where one can take an A-37 for a spin. I plan to do so in the not too distant future to say I have flight time on THAT Cessna registered. I doubt the USAF will release the Tweets to the Civilian market. Granted they are POS jets and might make civilians happy (and the neighbors at airports they are based at not so happy), but the DoD rules on allowing jets in US Military registry to be released to the civilian market is pretty clear cut and I doubt anyone would be willing to spend the cash to get the law changed for a Tweet.

In the meantime, I'm sure the White Sands Missile range could find a use for rediculously slow jet powered target drones. :yahoo:

Edited by Jay Chladek

Didn't know it was going, hard to believe that this is the plane the Army tested and recommended to the AF that it would make a good attack a/c and they laughed, 10 years later quess what the AF used it for. Oh well, it didn't help my hearing any, hated them when they passed though our airfield.

Now the real question is Fouga vs. Tweet. Exposure to which caused more hearing loss?

Jim

Well we have a Fouga at work and it's beats the Tweet hands down for noise!

Tony

Somebody suggested a movie for the tweet. It had a small role in "Airport '75" - then one where a small

plane hits a 747 and the stewardess flies the plane till they lower Charlton Heston in through the hole and saves the day.

In it's starring role, the T-37 is launched from Hill AFB and does a Battle Damage check. A young boy proclaims there's "an Air Force Fighter" out there and that everything is going to be alright :cheers:

They don't make 'em like that anymore. Lame movie to watch now, but very nice Pre-CGI real aircraft shots of the 747 flying low through the Wasatch mountain range.

Hitch

Proud owner of around 100 hours in the "underpowered, unpressurized, vomit encrusted, obnoxiously noisy, little POS" :blink:

PS, great banner Murph :blink:

Edited by GEH737
Moving to Vance this weekend. Can't say I'm sad I won't get to fly the tweet, though.

John, welcome to the Hawkeye Community! :blink:

I kid you not... every new guy I've seen for about a year and a half now is a Vance grad!

Remeber, a good NAVY pilot doesn't flare, and leaves the gear down in the pattern.

Enjoy the T-6!

Spongebob

Enid huh? Even I would shudder a bit driving back and forth from Altus/Wichita, when passing the sign leading into no-man's land. Good luck!

Jeff

Jeff,

Yeah, I hear Wal-Mart is the place to be on the weekends. Apparently it's even more of a one-stop-shop than our Seville Quarter here in P-Cola. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

-John

John, welcome to the Hawkeye Community! :lol:

I kid you not... every new guy I've seen for about a year and a half now is a Vance grad!

Remeber, a good NAVY pilot doesn't flare, and leaves the gear down in the pattern.

Enjoy the T-6!

Spongebob

Sponge,

That's similar to what I've heard (a lot of hookers in general out of Vance). Fine by me! :cheers:

I hear ya on the Navy stuff, but I've got to play it "their" way while I'm in "their" house, though. Right? :thumbsup: (ah, if only there was a smilely drinking a glass of coolaid).

Cheers,

-John

Jeff,

Yeah, I hear Wal-Mart is the place to be on the weekends. Apparently it's even more of a one-stop-shop than our Seville Quarter here in P-Cola. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

-John

There's a couple of chain places (Chilis and Applebees) along with pasttimes (which is locally owned but similar). For real character, Gary Chicarros is a hoot, with good bar food and a good selection of beers. There is also another chain place Roadhouse Grill or something like that, along with the standard fast food joints (Mickey D's/B.K./Sonic, etc..). For real night life you can go to Norman (Eskimo Joe's) or Bricktown in OKC. And yes, Wal-Mart is da schnizzitz on Saturday night.

Regards,

Murph