F-14A Tomcat / F-14D Tomcat - Gawa 1/48 + Aires

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after seeing GE F110 nozzles and a dual chin pod, I think the easiest way to explain the black paint is because the jet will be Vandy 1.

EDIT: Never mind. VF-2?! I'm puzzled too now.

Edited by stealthy1

Great looking Cat and congrats on sticking with it!! I personally am struggling to finish a Tomcat and appreciate your efforts to keep coming back to it after a lot of time has passed. Keep up the great work, the finish line is in sight :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

model must be in gloss coat

1 - Tomcat get wet with water and then use salt

2 - Then use a different shade of gray

3 - cloth take my salt away

4 - repeat with a different shade

for faster drying using a hair dryer :monkeydance:

cheers

Zigi

Edited by Zigi

It's coming along great, that's for sure!

I do have a question though, and I hope that I can get an answer to it (if not from yourself Zigi, then from others who have done it). Even if the a/c that's getting the salt treatment is started with a nice gloss coat for the salt weathering, why do the decals always come out so clean, and what can be done to limit this?

Yes, there is another thread on a -14 that has a bit on the how to specifically work around the decals - but, I was curious, once the decals are on, and the model has a nice coat of gloss on it... would "roughing up" around the decals with either toothpaste or with 1000 grit give enough rough surface for the salt weathering to "grab on" better, without having to go back a second time. It just seems that where the decals are, they don't match up with weathering that is present on the rest of the model. Just curious.

I do have a question though, and I hope that I can get an answer to it (if not from yourself Zigi, then from others who have done it). Even if the a/c that's getting the salt treatment is started with a nice gloss coat for the salt weathering, why do the decals always come out so clean, and what can be done to limit this?

Great job Zigi! It's starting to really look like a dirty kitty!

To answer your question Kostucha, the salt weathering DOES cover the decals with paint, so you can either leave it on for a good weathered look, or remove it like Zigi and I have done because that is more accurate for the hi-vis show birds we're building. These insignias were painted on late in the aircraft's life as sort of a late swan song kind of thing, so they should look like new and unweathered- because they were.