What if Schemes

I had kicked around the idea of taking my EF-111A and painting it in the Israeli F-15/F-16 paint scheme of sand, brown and the light green. Put AGM-142's on the outboard pylons with the data link on one of the inboard pylons and a GBU-24 Paveway III on the other inboard for ballast. Just a thought.

Pat,

Seeing Eddies's F-15 Blue Angles Aircraft, it got me thinking what would I like to do for a what if paint scheme. I just thought I would post it and see if you guys had any thoughts of what you would do. I do not have the net at home I can only use it at the library so I am going to think on this and post eary next week.

Maybe we can make this a GB for the year of 2008. Start date of January 1st and ending on December 31st

Have been debating F-22 in JASDF or IAF markings for some time now, but I do have enough stuff going on already. Would be nice if somebody did a resin cockpit that was GOOD for her, that just might turn up the heat on the back burner for me.

Jarrod Cunningham

Austin, Texas

Edited by jcunny
and an XF-2D Kai in APW colors with a DSI inlet and LOAN exhaust among other mods :beer4:

XF-2DLOANDSIAPWWif2.jpg

Gary F

That looks pretty effin' sweet, but you'd need CFTs to complete the package!!

F16s don't go supersonic much due to lack of fuel, so the CFTs would allow better use of that DSI, eh? ;)

(P.S. it would look frickin' cool, too!)

When we deployed for Desert Storm on JFK, both of our A-7 squadrons were yanked from the middle of their transition to F/A 18s to go to sea. They found out mid deployment they would be decommed rather than complete their transistion upon our return. There were squadron patches floating around with VFA-72 and VFA-46 on them. Those would make a couple of good 'What if" birds.

I'm not a big fan of modeling the demo teams, but here are some WhIf ideas from the past...

Thunderbirds X-29

Thunderbirds F-86

Thunderbirds F-104

I have a Hase X-29 that I just may paint as a T-birds plane. I was also considering kit bashing it into an XF-29 fighter using some F-20 parts.

I currently have an old Revell F-19 that I have plans to paint in a gray/black VX-9 paint job and a Hase F-20 that I want to build as a Mexican plane provided I can locate a flag decal from an F-5 for the tail. And my current project, a 2006 Monte Carlo stock car with #3 decals.

When we deployed for Desert Storm on JFK, both of our A-7 squadrons were yanked from the middle of their transition to F/A 18s to go to sea. They found out mid deployment they would be decommed rather than complete their transistion upon our return. There were squadron patches floating around with VFA-72 and VFA-46 on them. Those would make a couple of good 'What if" birds.

I always wanted to see a "Clansmen" Hornet ...

I was bummed out when I learned they and VFA-132 Privateers were decommed ....

Gregg

PS ... Hey yeah, a VFA-132 Super Hornet !

I've got some ideas myself that I've been saving up...

- A stretch P-3 with C-130J engines (original idea was to do it up as a WWII bomber with B-29 turrets and invasion stripes...)

- A US Army V-22 in CARC Green.

- A USMC CH-47F, and a US Army CH-53E

- A Swedish Air Force Typhoon

- A production spec RAH-66 Comanche

- An UH-72A with the inevitable hostile environment kit, including MWS/RWS, armor, machine guns/rockets, and permanently mounted FLIR

- A B-52H with four high bypass ratio turbofans

- a US Army UH-65D Dolphin, with a full set of lumps and bumps and the mast mounted sight from the Eurocopter Tiger UHT (config exists!)

- a Swedish Defense Force Eurocopter Tiger

A couple of armor ideas as well:

- An APC/IFV in New York City Yellow Cab livery (Have an original Tamiya M2 Bradley on hand...)

- An MBT done up in the local city bus livery (interlocking scheme of dark and light green arrows)

(Both of the above come from conversations with bus drivers about horrific inner city traffic congestion and its effect on bus schedules... the idea being to use the cannon to make sure the cars stay put, then drive right over them to flatten the obstacle permanently.)

Also, a 1/1 scale what-if: Remember when car alarms were new, and you'd put a little placard in the window to tell the thieves to stay away? Coming in 2010: "This car protected by Explosive Reactive Armor. Break in at your own risk."

SP

Great stuff, Grant! :whistle: Those USAF Lightnings are really cool! One question: Why F-97?

<....>

- a Swedish Defense Force Eurocopter Tiger

<...>

Oh, yeah, that could look nice! :salute:

What about Swedish attack choppers? I believe they held some kind of competition a couple of years ago. Even including the Mi-28N. Did something ever come of it? :cheers:

Great stuff, Grant! ;) Those USAF Lightnings are really cool! One question: Why F-97?

Danke schön! I pulled "F-97" out of a hat for it to fit within the USAF designation system and fill the gap between the F-94 and F-100. While the Lightning is a contemporary of the Century Series, all those numbers are already taken.

What about Swedish attack choppers? I believe they held some kind of competition a couple of years ago. Even including the Mi-28N. Did something ever come of it? ;)

The Army decided that killing tanks was not part of their likely near-future duties with Russia regaining internal stability, and decided that money was best used on other projects. Said funds were then promptly stripped from them and diverted to non-defense expenditures. Business as usual.

SP

Most of my modeling experience is "what if...", mostly in terms of weapon loads :thumbsup:

I did a Monogram UH-1C in Light ghost gray with USN markings. Made him from the USS Nimitz with little Jolly Roger flags (from a Blackbeard's ship kit), and dubbed him a "River Raider" for a Humans vs. the Living Dead theme, which most of my kits fall into.

I had a disastrous attempt at a 1/72 Yak-38, which was supposed to replace the VTOL with a more conventional nozzle in the back, wingtip "Aphids", and a slightly larger wing area.

Who knows what's next? Just the fact that my "air force" consists of aircraft from over a dozen nations from the 50s to the present is pretty "what if", eh?

And in reference to the Navy A-10, I've still got my Monogram kit all ready to go to make my A-10M "Sea Hawg", which will have a pretty diverse loadout (including depth bombs from an S-3 kit, rockets, AIM-9, AGM-84, etc.)

And it won't be Navy. Oh no.... it will be a USMC hawg, for certain.

JB

In the Boeing Frontiers magazine, they have done articles on upgrading B-52, B-1 and B-2s, the proposal for upgraded B-52s include 4 Hi-Bypass turbofans, they've included mock up artwork on occasion ...

Gregg